What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice little tour of mount Dandynong, got a solid 1464m elevation in. Been a little slack lately so glad it felt pretty good.

Bit of a near miss on the way home though. Riding through a big multi lane roundabout, bloke on a pinioned up motorbike didn't see me. I cut to the inside lane but he still decided to panic brake, locking the rear getting very sideways and almost dumped both of them on the road.

Reckon he'll be in the bad books when he gets home lol.

Minlak

custom titis
Wait….is Wahoo a virtual/zwift kinda thing?
What??? - Wahoo is a brand - they make stuff like Garmin makes - they can be used for Zwift or Non Zwift activities.
forgot you don’t know about Strava - You ride using Wahoo or Garmin and upload the file to Strava - Strava then has an elevation and distance correction option - depending on where you ride you will gain or lose one or both. Garmin and Wahoo use atmospheric pressure to measure elevation and depending on temperatures can wildly inaccurate.
I did 120 laps of the Crit track in town started at 4am and the first 30 laps had 2m of elevation according to Garmin - The remaining 90 laps accomplished as the day heated up had 150m elevation. Same laps different atmospheric conditions

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
What??? - Wahoo is a brand - they make stuff like Garmin makes - they can be used for Zwift or Non Zwift activities.
forgot you don’t know about Strava - You ride using Wahoo or Garmin and upload the file to Strava - Strava then has an elevation and distance correction option - depending on where you ride you will gain or lose one or both. Garmin and Wahoo use atmospheric pressure to measure elevation and depending on temperatures can wildly inaccurate.
I did 120 laps of the Crit track in town started at 4am and the first 30 laps had 2m of elevation according to Garmin - The remaining 90 laps accomplished as the day heated up had 150m elevation. Same laps different atmospheric conditions
So one of the main features you’d want tracked accurately (or at least I would) by a dedicated bike GPS, is total shit? Is there anything they do better than just using Strava in terms of the GPS side of the device? Or are they really more of a toy for the power meter/HR zone crowd?

Minlak

custom titis
So one of the main features you’d want tracked accurately (or at least I would) by a dedicated bike GPS, is total shit? Is there anything they do better than just using Strava in terms of the GPS side of the device? Or are they really more of a toy for the power meter/HR zone crowd?
Over the course of a whole ride the 2 figures were close enough to the same for the majority of rides I did - But a dedicated device will measure much better location / speed / power / heart rate - you then have features like training zones / virtual partner / reminders etc - So to answer your question if you want to go look at me I rode from here to here the device is worth nothing to you over Strava - If you prefer more detail and want to actually Train the device all the way.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah everyone else pretty much nailed it. Wahoo/Garmin devices use air pressure which is affected by weather charges. But Strava has a function that can be used to adjust based on their mapping data. I usually just leave it with whatever the device says.

So yesterday I took the young fella for a spin in Ararat and I decided to check what Strava thought for elevation and it was actually less than what the Wahoo measured using pressure. So it can go either way

Minlak

custom titis
Yeah everyone else pretty much nailed it. Wahoo/Garmin devices use air pressure which is affected by weather charges. But Strava has a function that can be used to adjust based on their mapping data. I usually just leave it with whatever the device says.

So yesterday I took the young fella for a spin in Ararat and I decided to check what Strava thought for elevation and it was actually less than what the Wahoo measured using pressure. So it can go either way
My main riding area - Cordalba State Forest - If you use the trails the Garmin is always a little over the Strava info - If you head over the other side the the National Park area that has fire roads etc Strava would almost double your elevation when corrected - And sometimes a device just reads low all the time - The group I rode with 1 of the people always was significantly lower on the device over any one else's data.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, it's a hard thing to accurately measure. I'm not too fussed these days about it, usually when I compare files to other devices it's pretty much the same. Locally Strava gives you a few hundred metres while my device gives less than 100. I'm almost convinced the device is correct with how flat it is out here

Minlak

custom titis
Yeah, it's a hard thing to accurately measure. I'm not too fussed these days about it, usually when I compare files to other devices it's pretty much the same. Locally Strava gives you a few hundred metres while my device gives less than 100. I'm almost convinced the device is correct with how flat it is out here
To me consistency of data is the thing I want - So I used to always use device readings then I could compare to previous efforts consistently

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, it's why I never touch the Strava adjust feature normally. Moorey has had me looking lately though due to calling out my 70m elevation rides after he was measuring a couple of hundred on the same trails. I kinda wish I had that kind of elevation here

Flow-Rider

Burner
Strava uses a correction map but it's hard to ever get the exact same reading on a device because of the inconsistency of the satellite pings with the undulations of the trail and the strength of the device signals.

cammas

Seamstress
I rode my purple slug today, first time in weeks and I cannot remember the last time I rode at Gisborne. I have been struggling with fitness and health issues which is a double edge sword, less I ride the unfitter I get which doesn’t help with the health issues and if ride too hard, I have health issues also the doctors have no freaking clue what is wrong but that’s another whole thread :rolleyes:.
Anyway here’s a picture of my slug, brought it on a whim as break from the rigid and still unsure if it’s a keeper but it’s definitely a lot of fun but probably need to go back to dually eventually.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Did a cheeky lever fluid top up on my brakes and thought I should test them before Maydena tomorrow. Taking the Yeti SB100 there for the day is like taking a scapel to a bazooka fight. I'm excited and shitting myself at the same time.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I rode my purple slug today, first time in weeks and I cannot remember the last time I rode at Gisborne. I have been struggling with fitness and health issues which is a double edge sword, less I ride the unfitter I get which doesn’t help with the health issues and if ride too hard, I have health issues also the doctors have no freaking clue what is wrong but that’s another whole thread :rolleyes:.
Anyway here’s a picture of my slug, brought it on a whim as break from the rigid and still unsure if it’s a keeper but it’s definitely a lot of fun but probably need to go back to dually eventually.

View attachment 384337
What's with that chainstay? Looks funky.