What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Also that was my first time seating wire beaded tyres without tubes.

The next set will be TR and we'll likely shed a few more grams too!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Can I be the first to wish mechanical disc breaks a slow fiery death. Adjustment seems more by luck than design, what a nightmare! I can't get an acceptable short lever throw without disc rub. But for now they stop effectively and my daughter likes them so all good.
If Kmart bikes can have a short throw without rubbing, then those bikes can too. I will 1000% guarantee the rotors are not straight. Grab something long and give them a tweak and readjust.

moorey

call me Mia
If Kmart bikes can have a short throw without rubbing, then those bikes can too. I will 1000% guarantee the rotors are not straight. Grab something long and give them a tweak and readjust.
I think more likely the fact that one pad is static. They rely on pushing the rotor onto that pad. @HamboCairns, are you setting them up to sit close to static side, then adjusting the moving pad right in?

k3n!f

leaking out the other end

I've been sick for a couple of weeks (#covidnegative) and didn't bother doing any training for this race as I assumed it would be cancelled due to lock down. Decided to go along for a fun notarace and really enjoyed it. Some rain the night before turned some of the clay sections to peanut butter which was fabulous fun.

Great day out and massive thanks to the Shifty Fifty series organisers, great choice of tracks and great relaxed fun atmosphere.

moorey

call me Mia
View attachment 378328

I've been sick for a couple of weeks (#covidnegative) and didn't bother doing any training for this race as I assumed it would be cancelled due to lock down. Decided to go along for a fun notarace and really enjoyed it. Some rain the night before turned some of the clay sections to peanut butter which was fabulous fun.

Great day out and massive thanks to the Shifty Fifty series organisers, great choice of tracks and great relaxed fun atmosphere.
I was planning this for me and the kids….but then thought there was no way it was running 4 days after lockdown…I still can’t comprehend it ran TBH. 300 riders is one thing, but wasn’t allowed to have any spectators in theory. Yes…I’m a little bitter :(

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Fantastic weekend…

In theory I shouldn’t be riding, should be RICE-ing my torn lateral meniscus… but picked up a new knee brace yesterday, and had to test it obviously… so we had a nice real soft no elevation 10kms of sandy foreshore/beach fun on Saturday, and my knee didn’t feel too bad afterwards.

So, this morning, when Sue suggested Whittlesea, I was yeah, let’s go. Nice trails, and although it’s not signposted, it was very easy to sort out WTFAW on Trailforks. It is very rinky dinky and tight, so don’t expect big speed, but it was techy enough and you needed to keep your wits about you… great fun.

Anyway, 37m of elevation yesterday and 230m today… the knee is sore… RICE

Blairgowrie

Whittlesea

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Fantastic weekend…

In theory I shouldn’t be riding, should be RICE-ing my torn lateral meniscus.
That exactly what I had fixed a few months back, they just sliced the torn flap off. It's nearly 100% now... pushed it a wee bit hard on gym leg day a few weeks back.

I was about 2 months after the initial tear before I could manage 20km so you are doing well.

HamboCairns

I think more likely the fact that one pad is static. They rely on pushing the rotor onto that pad. @HamboCairns, are you setting them up to sit close to static side, then adjusting the moving pad right in?
I think I was adjusting without any appreciation for how the brakes actually work. I had no idea they only worked from one side!

moorey

call me Mia
I think I was adjusting without any appreciation for how the brakes actually work. I had no idea they only worked from one side!
I haven't used cable for close to 10 years, but unless things have changed, yep. Cheaper ones may rely purely on cable adjustment/barrel screw to adjust the moving pad, BB7's used to have an adjuster on the caliper.

HamboCairns

I haven't used cable for close to 10 years, but unless things have changed, yep. Cheaper ones may rely purely on cable adjustment/barrel screw to adjust the moving pad, BB7's used to have an adjuster on the caliper.
There's a giant grub screw on the static side and a barrel adjuster on the moving side. Plus the barrel for the lever and the actual cable holder too.

moorey

call me Mia
There's a giant grub screw on the static side and a barrel adjuster on the moving side. Plus the barrel for the lever and the actual cable holder too.
Giant screw should be static pad adjustment then. It’s been a while, I thought I recalled it being on the active side.
If rotors are straight, run that in as close as possible to the rotor. The active pad pushes the rotor against the static pad to brake.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Couple of good rides this weekend with Yvonne, my wife. She is not much for single track so we stick to the fire trails/roads. Always difficult for me to keep up with a 54 kilo, ex 10 k runner who is also pretty handy on her 11 kilo XC bike. So I dropped 800 grams of my trail bike with a set of XC wheels and lighter tires. At least I can now see her up the hills in front of me.
We rode up through the Waterworks in South Hobart Saturday to do a loop that finished us back to Waterworks with a lazy 900 meters of climbing over29 kms.
Sunday we opted for a shorter ride in the sunny morning weather. We rode through the parking lot at the Cascade Brewery which was stuffed full of vehicles with bike racks. After seeing 6 other riders on Saturday there seemed to be dozens heading up Old Farm Road. Perhaps to access the steep tacks in South Hobart? We just headed up to the Main Fire Trail to make our way back to Lenah Valley and eventually home after less grueling morning of climbing with only 650 meters.
Always great to get out!
BTW, another change I made was to take the SRAM Gx cassette, derailleur and shifter off my trail bike and replaced them with a Shimano XT 11 speed with a 11-42 cassette. I put his combo on the hardtail I built in April, because that's what I had, and really liked it. Went greatt on the Trance 29er as well. Felt better and smoother. Placebo? Time will tell.