What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Because they're bullshit.

The pricing is bullshit, the proprietry tools are bullshit, replacement parts pricing is bullshit, they had a tolerancing issue for a while which they bullshitted about, the greasing routine for the serviceable bearings is bullshit, and because they aren't modular everyone who had classics ate shit when boost happened.

The random noise under power makes it sound like the tolerancing issue is back.

You would have been better served with another set of P321s or I9s for that money.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
ie: They're the same as pretty much every hub except Hopes. I had issues with my P321's, even once repaired they were okay but not great. I hate the noise from I9's, and Onyx's are fairly heavy. The CK's roll insanely well, so while I might have got a dud one - there's squillions of good ones out there and it's not like other brands are always flawless either. My hub came from Ze Germans so it's probably some old stock discount sell-off, whatever - life goes on. Given it's the first faulty product (potentially) I've had with all the MTB shit I've bought, it seems I'm doing pretty okay overall. Once I get a spare wheel sorted to use in the interim, I'll try and chase up some warranty asssitance and decide my feelings on CK from there.

If you care about price, the best VFM is probably DT 350's, and Hopes are the easily rebuildable/reliability winner (usual caveat about replacement bearings, etc etc...).

As to changing standards - oh wow, gosh - standards change and there's parts incompatibilities? Manufacturers redesign their products and don't ensure backwards compatibility? Say it isn't so! This must be the first time this has ever happened in the mountain bike industry! Alert Pinkbike, VitalMTB and all the others - there will be outrage!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I just received a bike that I bought solely to pinch the ye Olde pikes from it. Much stuffing around and dollars spent getting it here, not to mention Fatboy going out of his way to pick it up and pack it up for me ().

2 days later, a new old stock set pops up on my Facebook feed

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More like this weekend.
Redhill on Saturday on the Prime. I was a little anxious about it thinking I'd not like it as much as the Highlander. I really shouldn't have stressed. It feels excellent. Not as smooth on the descents given the travel and suspension design but still awesome fun and excellent trail manners.

Then, today at Lysterfield for a local cruisy lap on the Paradox. Running 27.5" wheels and 2.6" tyres with 150mm fork and 160mm A2C length.

Banshee seem to think it'd be too low, I'd beg to differ. It feels awesome.
An absolute firecracker to ride.

Very happy indeed!

beeb

Yeah went down, was fun! Definitely a few points where the complete absence of grip under brakes added a new element aha :D
I'm guessing that point between the two step-downs about 2/3rds down with loose sand over the top of a boulder in particular? It seemed especially loose today.

More like this weekend.
Redhill on Saturday on the Prime. I was a little anxious about it thinking I'd not like it as much as the Highlander. I really shouldn't have stressed. It feels excellent. Not as smooth on the descents given the travel and suspension design but still awesome fun and excellent trail manners.

Then, today at Lysterfield for a local cruisy lap on the Paradox. Running 27.5" wheels and 2.6" tyres with 150mm fork and 160mm A2C length.

Banshee seem to think it'd be too low, I'd beg to differ. It feels awesome.
An absolute firecracker to ride.

Very happy indeed!
That is quite the stable of bikes Rev! Good stuff. :)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is quite the stable of bikes Rev! Good stuff. :)
It's taken some time and a few wrong turns along the way but each of them puts a smile on my face.
I was really concerned about the Prime but that bike just has some real magic to it. Not the fastest up or down and definitely not the lightest but obscene fun.
I also tend not to worry about it riding through rock gardens if I get something wrong. It's a nice feeling as it's super tough.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'm guessing that point between the two step-downs about 2/3rds down with loose sand over the top of a boulder in particular? It seemed especially loose today.
Yeh that bit after the switchbacks where you pop over the rock then have to get on the brakes for the really janky tight left-right rock roll thing. Almost just slid straight into the tree haha!

beeb

Yeh that bit after the switchbacks where you pop over the rock then have to get on the brakes for the really janky tight left-right rock roll thing. Almost just slid straight into the tree haha!
Yeah, I was a bit lazy with body position through there today and the front wheel pushed a bit. No great dramas, got through safely, but I'd never realised how much that rock rolls away until I was looking at it today... :p

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Rode it, well the anthem I bought for my young blokes 14th b'day in a couple of weeks.

It has a roadie saddle and static seatpost on it, so I no longer feel like a virgin.

First real ride since blowing bout my knee a couple of years ago, so was a bit apprehensive, but feel good. I even managed to ride at least 50% of the climb.

Can't wait to get a 66°HA, travel and a dropper back under me. Oh and some decent tyres, igniters and crossmarks suck the balls.

Been so long, I'm a rookie again.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Rode it, well the anthem I bought for my young blokes 14th b'day in a couple of weeks.

It has a roadie saddle and static seatpost on it, so I no longer feel like a virgin.

First real ride since blowing bout my knee a couple of years ago, so was a bit apprehensive, but feel good. I even managed to ride at least 50% of the climb.

Can't wait to get a 66°HA, travel and a dropper back under me. Oh and some decent tyres, igniters and crossmarks suck the balls.

You should try Rekons!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Busted the tools out this morning to help one of my friends do some adjustments. I' have now converted 29.2.5 inch Maxxis to tubeless on my drive way with a track pump. It was so easy. One day I'll understand what you guys are bitching about. A few years ago we did his wheels at the near by servo in the middle of the night because I was convinced we needed their air compressor. The attendant was very confused!

moorey

call me Mia

TL DR. I think it’s 66.5

moorey

call me Mia
Busted the tools out this morning to help one of my friends do some adjustments. I' have now converted 29.2.5 inch Maxxis to tubeless on my drive way with a track pump. It was so easy. One day I'll understand what you guys are bitching about. A few years ago we did his wheels at the near by servo in the middle of the night because I was convinced we needed their air compressor. The attendant was very confused!
News flash. No one is bitching.

HamboCairns

All my tires have been done with a track pump. The trick for me is to seat the top third of the tyre (nearest the valve) so air doesn't escape easily.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Rode with the kids again (and brother in law) this morning. Mr 5 had more practice of the Mini Muddies track.
Then I helped my brother in law install his new Box 2 prime 9 groupset. He's pretty chuffed to have a 50t granny gear to pedal up Red Hill now.

HamboCairns

Another day of fettling the bike without going for a ride.

I can't imagine how anyone here with a serious injury manages to stay sane..

Straightened the steerer (was pointing to the right a little bit), cleaned a bit of dry dirt, stared at my bike for a bit.. ffs

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
No photos, but I was a beautiful morning to lead a bunch of intrepid yet inexperienced bikers on a social ride.

We're trying to capitalise on the surge in popularity and get a few new faces at the club. Had many happy faces from finding trails they never knew about.