What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Road to work today. Stupid hours and girlfriends new job (new job isn't stupid) eating in to any actual riding time I used to get.
Moving to Tas in July, having a month off work and just found out our temporary accomodation is about 45 mins drive from Derby.
Sweet, whats the new job? In Launceston? Im still hoping to convince the boss to let me work remotely so i can boot the tenants out of my house in Hobart...

tobbogonist

a registered member
Sweet, whats the new job? In Launceston? Im still hoping to convince the boss to let me work remotely so i can boot the tenants out of my house in Hobart...
No job at all really. Going to transfer with Bunnings and pick up casual shifts in Launnie for a bit, then back up the N.W. coast to build the tiny house.

You shouldn't have to work at all if you own a house in Hobart, air bnb it like everyone else. Man i'd love to live in Hobart again.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Went for a nice ride with the children around Smithfield, did a respectable 9.5km.

My 10 year old son rode his mum's 29er (Trek Marlin 6) without too many issues, it's slightly too big but he seemed to handle it ok and just stuck to the middle ring. He wants to convert it to a 1x though haha

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Started out on the old Sight running DHF front/SS rear. Found the SS didn't have enough braking grip, so changed back to the stock DHR II. I also found that grip and confidence improved greatly when I changed the 2.3 DHF to a 2.5.

I was running a WTB Vigilante front/Trail Boss rear combo on it before I sold it, and found they worked really well at the Youies. Vigilante doesn't have the dreaded Minion Gap, so I felt a lot more confident cornering.
I have a trail boss to put on the rear next, and was planning on giving the vigilante a go on the front when the MM wears out.

Flow-Rider

Burner
My experience:

Nobby Nics are great if you like to roll fast and have no grip whatsoever.

Hans Dampf are great on the front, but super draggy on the rear.

The Torrent came with HD front and rear. I changed the rear out immediately for a Nobby Nic I had laying around. Rolls really well, but found it breaking traction a lot on loose climbs. Replaced it with a WTB Trail Boss (Fast compound/Tough casing), now it doesn't even think about slipping on the climbs, and still rolls really well.

I've also found the Assegai front/Dissector rear combo on the Sight to be really good. Not feeling the need to change either of those for something else.
The WTB trail boss works really well on the rear, I second that.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Enlisted the old man to drive a few shuttles of the "home track". Short and sweet (6-7 runs), but good fun. My middle brother was down from Canberra for it. His forearms are already sore He is going to hurt tomorrow.
Out of interest, how to bikes stay in place with those tailgate aprons? Aren't they held by a simple down tube loop? Anything else stopping them from flopping around?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Out of interest, how to bikes stay in place with those tailgate aprons? Aren't they held by a simple down tube loop? Anything else stopping them from flopping around?
When shuttling a track I don't generally bother strapping them down. But if it's a bumpy shuttle or actually travelling long distances I use a tie-down between the back two ute tie-down points and then run a cam-buckle tie-down over each top tube and down around the ute tie-down.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Broke my dropper post cable last night, just days (hopefully) from the new dropper post arriving. It broke at the lever where the grub screw pinches it.

In typicaly sods-law fashion, it did that at the furthest point from home and with the seat half way down. It would have been a looong ride home with a half-up seat so I needed a quick trailside fix. I pulled the cable from the proper entry point of the lever and then routed it straight into the lever blade itself where I could clamp the end. This meant that the dropper lever no longer worked as intended, but if I pulled on the cable outer I could work the dropper post!

Got me home with minimal dramas. Of course, my new dropper post didn't arrive today so I had to replace the cable. That proved to be relatively quick and painless.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I still find it weird that after buying a car slightly smaller than the RMS Titanic you still cant fit a bike in the back....
Yeah it's a weird setup, especially when only putting 2 bikes in it (could fit them in the back of a F150, but who actually needs one of those monstrosities)

5 bikes makes sense with a tailgate pad for me. Don't need to buy an expensive, fancy bike rack, and I can go 4x4ing, tow the boat, tow trailers, camp in the back of it etc.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah it's a weird setup, especially when only putting 2 bikes in it (could fit them in the back of a F150, but who actually needs one of those monstrosities)

5 bikes makes sense with a tailgate pad for me. Don't need to buy an expensive, fancy bike rack, and I can go 4x4ing, tow the boat, tow trailers, camp in the back of it etc.
Hilux ranger etc fits in the “monstrosity” category in my book. It’s ultimate dumb using these as every day vehicles on public roads.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Hilux ranger etc fits in the “monstrosity” category in my book. It’s ultimate dumb using these as every day vehicles on public roads.
Yeah, I guess some people/occupations need something like a hilux, ranger etc for work.

Me, I drive a suzuki swift everyday unless I need the hilux for the above activities.