What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Minion SS used to be, but running aggressor now, and think it’s better suited.
(Nerd alert)
Only had one ride on it so far, but the e*thirteen LG1R semi-slick seems an interesting mid-point between those two. It has the tyre volume the Minion SS lacks (IMO), but the grip impressed me. For context it was dry conditions at Youies with the typical layer of loose gritty sand on top of hardpack. There was the tiniest amount of slip compared to an Aggressor on steep, out-of-saddle pinches, but much less than I expected, and it only occured if I unweighted the rear a little too much. Cornering was mint, probably better grip than the Aggressor, and obviously rolling on the descents is sweet. Fits a 30mm IW rim perfectly too, whereas a Minion SS sits way too square (edge knobs are fully in the ground even with the bike dead upright). Interested to see how the longevity holds up though as I have the stickier "race" compound, t.b.a I guess. Only downside so far? I've never had a tyre throw so much sand onto the back of my legs and into my shoes! DH casing is probably overkill for my riding, I would be interested to try the enduro casing but want to give the DH casing a good thrashing first.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
For those that ride there. What is your go to for the You Yangs?

Obviously a very subjective question, but I'm always curious.
DHR2 / HR2 up front and either out back as well or maybe a DHF out back.

I do have a Dissector to try and just got a good ol Ardent for out back as well.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I wonder what these high grip enduro tyres are like bimbling about in Smithfield or Davies Creek?
Loamy and rocky at smithfield with lots of greasy roots (and that fucking scary barbed vine thing hanging off trees that nearly tore holes in my arm...), so ideal territory for them ;)

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Loamy and rocky at smithfield with lots of greasy roots (and that fucking scary barbed vine thing hanging off trees that nearly tore holes in my arm...), so ideal territory for them ;)
I wouldn't characterise Smithfield as loamy, more hardpack. Maybe I haven't explored enough!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I wouldn't characterise Smithfield as loamy, more hardpack. Maybe I haven't explored enough!
No you’re right there is a lot of hard pack. I have memories of soggier bits up the back...

And general dampness - or maybe that was jsut me sweating my arse off the whole time...

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
It’s funny, we have ridden Smithfield just the once, and it was fun... on hire hardtail 29’ers, but I can’t think of it’s track surface/composition to save myself.

Was certainly hanging for a beer afterwards.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thats what Brosnans Maxxis Dissector was marketed as being, Hardpack-Loose-Loose over Hardpack.

Not a fan to be honest as the EXO+ on the rear of my HT has 4 plugs in 3 different sidewall cuts. Just collected #3 last weekend.

Rolls and grips well as a rear though.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Never tried the DHR2 I had on the front. Actually spewing that I didn't do it.

Have heard a lot of people like it.
I ran a DHR2 for a while. Grippy but bloody hell it felt so damn slow. Do quite like the Agressor as well. A mate ran Dissectors F and R at Youis and rated it highly but destroyed the front in no time due to the soft compound.
I run Michelin Wild enduros now And rate highly. Not great in the driest times at the Youis but since I ride different places often it’s the best alrounder For different condition.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I ran a DHR2 for a while. Grippy but bloody hell it felt so damn slow. Do quite like the Agressor as well. A mate ran Dissectors F and R at Youis and rated it highly but destroyed the front in no time due to the soft compound.
I run Michelin Wild enduros now And rate highly. Not great in the driest times at the Youis but since I ride different places often it’s the best alrounder For different condition.
Still haven't tried Michelins, but do want to sometime. Youies is a difficult one for tyres, conditions can be all over the shop.

One ride my tyres are the best, the next they are the worst

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Road to work today. Stupid hours and girlfriends new job (new job isn't stupid) eating in to any actual riding time I used to get.
Moving to Tas in July, having a month off work and just found out our temporary accomodation is about 45 mins drive from Derby.
Let the good times roll.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I've got DHF/Aggressor for the Django (and I had it for the Capra too) which has never given me grief at YY and is my go-to everywhere unless either really steep or really wet..
I haven't bothered changing out the Altitude yet so it's Assegai/DHR. DHR is a slog at times but I really like a Assegai up front, gives me a lot of confidence through the corners. Might get another to replace the DHF once it's done

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've got DHF/Aggressor for the Django (and I had it for the Capra too) which has never given me grief at YY and is my go-to everywhere unless either really steep or really wet..
I haven't bothered changing out the Altitude yet so it's Assegai/DHR. DHR is a slog at times but I really like a Assegai up front, gives me a lot of confidence through the corners. Might get another to replace the DHF once it's done
I avoided Assegais for a long time after not liking one I tried at Youies. Took a while, but I eventually wondered if it was because it was on a bike I found a bit long out front (I struggled with that bike at times to get good front grip because I couldn't confidently get my weight over the front wheel as much as I'd like). So I recently tried running an EXO+ Assegai up front on my Waltly(s). With the reach measurements being right in my comfort zone, the Assegai has been a revelation. With the DHFs previously I was slowly getting frustrated with the transition zone "gap", I finding I had to have the bike either "up" or "over" which meant some corners had arcs that didn't really match either position well. Loved the edge grip, but not the vagueness between centre and edge. Assegai keeps the edge grip, but adds partial-lean grip and possibly edge-knob stability too (that feeling could be the marginally thicker EXO+ casing though). Overall Assegais better tolerate my slightly lazy central body positioning on the bike. (ie: they flatter my excuse-riddled riding style :p).

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Try a Nobby Nic ?
I had Nobby Nics , F&R , Went to 'new style ' Hans Dampf F&R , now on Hans D rear and Magic Mary on Front

Magic Mary is Super Trail casing tho .

In saying that , only have had one puncture - which was a stick as fat as my sausagey fingers go through
My experience:

Nobby Nics are great if you like to roll fast and have no grip whatsoever.

Hans Dampf are great on the front, but super draggy on the rear.

The Torrent came with HD front and rear. I changed the rear out immediately for a Nobby Nic I had laying around. Rolls really well, but found it breaking traction a lot on loose climbs. Replaced it with a WTB Trail Boss (Fast compound/Tough casing), now it doesn't even think about slipping on the climbs, and still rolls really well.

I've also found the Assegai front/Dissector rear combo on the Sight to be really good. Not feeling the need to change either of those for something else.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah

Started out on the old Sight running DHF front/SS rear. Found the SS didn't have enough braking grip, so changed back to the stock DHR II. I also found that grip and confidence improved greatly when I changed the 2.3 DHF to a 2.5.

I was running a WTB Vigilante front/Trail Boss rear combo on it before I sold it, and found they worked really well at the Youies. Vigilante doesn't have the dreaded Minion Gap, so I felt a lot more confident cornering.