What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I know it’s yesterday now, but we had an ace beach foreshore singletrack ride at lunchtime. Sue was race leader #1, tour guide par excellance, and took us both down many a sandy scrubby track. I took a branch to finger, some ok blood, those pesky 800 wide bars. She made the mistake of repeating a beach box circumnavigation, so I went the opposite way... funny as..

Beats walking around Etihad.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Looking forward to getting fitness back after 14 months of schooling taking up 20hrs a week of my own time.

I have raced dozens of XC and endurance races, may even be in triple figures. Will even try an enduro this year.
We are (planning) to run the 3hr this year.

Just so you know ;)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Replaced the leaking rear brake master cylinder piston, replaced the lever pivot pins with black anodised ones (because OCD) and levers with updated dimpled style (because the old ones are like cheesegraters for your fingers), fixed the new dropper post being a bit low on pressure, taped up the new rear wheel, mounted a new tyre, installed cassette and rotor, straightened the derailleur hanger, adjusted the shifting. Yep, I think that was it for today!

Only one thing left now I think - I might need to give the front pads a cook, they're honking a bit. Sort that tomorrow, then get a ride in Thursday arvo.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Replaced the leaking rear brake master cylinder piston, replaced the lever pivot pins with black anodised ones (because OCD) and levers with updated dimpled style (because the old ones are like cheesegraters for your fingers), fixed the new dropper post being a bit low on pressure, taped up the new rear wheel, mounted a new tyre, installed cassette and rotor, straightened the derailleur hanger, adjusted the shifting. Yep, I think that was it for today!
View attachment 373690

Only one thing left now I think - I might need to give the front pads a cook, they're honking a bit. Sort that tomorrow, then get a ride in Thursday arvo.
That thing looks so sick. Nice work.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Cheers guys. :) I honestly wasn't sure if I was going to like the look of this one (the focus was function over form), but I'm happy with now it's come together. It's a big bike but doesn't look it.

Went through the first phase of readjustment to the 29er rear wheel last night when I gave the top of the tyre a solid kick swinging the leg over... Oops! :p

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
After a couple of weeks of ignoring a slight clunk from the pedals (again), I decided to have a look.

Turns out that my crankset was loose enough to undo with an 8mm allen key using just my small finger. Hope I haven't fucked anything up there..

moorey

call me Mia
After a couple of weeks of ignoring a slight clunk from the pedals (again), I decided to have a look.

Turns out that my crankset was loose enough to undo with an 8mm allen key using just my small finger. Hope I haven't fucked anything up there..
Shimano?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

Depends on how hard you've ridden it while ignoring the clunking! At best, she'll be right. Middle ground, BB might need replacing if the loose crank allowed excessive play. Worst case, new bike time!
It's probably fine though :)
I was thinking Raceface or any of the cranks that have a self extracting fixing bolt. The fixing bolt on some have a tendency to loosen. I've had to Loctite the fixing bolt on my RF cranks after the same thing happened.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Got out and rode the Banshee for a lunchtime session today.

And it felt GOOD.

Also, my rim arrived to fix my other bike, so now I have some work to do there too. Now if we could just get rid of this lockdown, I could get out for Easter riding and all would be good in the world.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Depends on how hard you've ridden it while ignoring the clunking! At best, she'll be right. Middle ground, BB might need replacing if the loose crank allowed excessive play. Worst case, new bike time!

I was thinking Raceface or any of the cranks that have a self extracting fixing bolt. The fixing bolt on some have a tendency to loosen. I've had to Loctite the fixing bolt on my RF cranks after the same thing happened.
Yeah, the RF Aeffect ones I have are a 8mm bolt to hold them in & it used to come loose all the time. Until I realised I was mis-reading the torque spec as 6.1Nm when it was actually 61Nm. Once I found a torque wrench big enough, it's not come loose again since.

moorey

call me Mia

Ah yes. Missed the 8mm part. This treatment would have killed shimano cranks.