What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Chucked some new tyres on today. New year new me!

Replenished the Dissector on the rear (maybe a bit prematurely but side knobs were starting to tear) and trying out a big Assegai on the front in place of the regular DHF. Put a Rimpact Pro insert in the rear which was remarkably easy to fit but feels really sturdy in the sidewalls. Now running 21psi front and rear rather than having to run ~28 in the back. Looking forward to testing it on some rocks and roots.

Between those and the X2 I put on in December, the trail bike I built last January has finally completed the inevitable drift to enduro. New bike time?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Chucked some new tyres on today. New year new me!

Replenished the Dissector on the rear (maybe a bit prematurely but side knobs were starting to tear) and trying out a big Assegai on the front in place of the regular DHF. Put a Rimpact Pro insert in the rear which was remarkably easy to fit but feels really sturdy in the sidewalls. Now running 21psi front and rear rather than having to run ~28 in the back. Looking forward to testing it on some rocks and roots.

Between those and the X2 I put on in December, the trail bike I built last January has finally completed the inevitable drift to enduro. New bike time?
TL;DR
new bike time

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Was going to buy a dinner plate Sunrace cassette for the Mondraker but sold out almost everywhere . Then stumbled across the Shimano csm5100 11-51 in stock at MTB direct at a good price . Did some searching on the net to see what sort of feedback and see what derailleurs can run with it . General consensus was to run a 12 speed unit with it . So I thought bugger it , I`ll give it a go with my medium cage XT . Dropped it onto a spare wheel wound the B screw in a few more turns , mounted wheel and presto - it works . And works well . Smooth shifting up and down . So that will stay on the Merida and the Sunrace will go on the Mondraker .

What caught my eye was the more even spacing between the top cogs . Sunrace goes 32 , 36 , 42 , 50 and the Shimano goes 33 , 39 , 45 , 51 . Excuse the bike - still dirty from its last ride . Hopefully pics don`t load upside down .

Attachments

MarioM

Likes Dirt
@MarioM Let the air out of your rear shock & cycle the suspension to be sure the chain doesn't over-tighten.
Yeah , had done that and its not too bad . If I`m using that gear ( which is not often apart from certain XC courses ) then I`m climbing a lot and more often than not suspension is locked . I had meant to buy the derailleur also - but guess what - out of stock , as I`d like to swap to 32 and 34 front rings . Not sure yet on the front as the 30 has me comfortable on the really long rides .

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Was going to buy a dinner plate Sunrace cassette for the Mondraker but sold out almost everywhere . Then stumbled across the Shimano csm5100 11-51 in stock at MTB direct at a good price . Did some searching on the net to see what sort of feedback and see what derailleurs can run with it . General consensus was to run a 12 speed unit with it . So I thought bugger it , I`ll give it a go with my medium cage XT . Dropped it onto a spare wheel wound the B screw in a few more turns , mounted wheel and presto - it works . And works well . Smooth shifting up and down . So that will stay on the Merida and the Sunrace will go on the Mondraker .

What caught my eye was the more even spacing between the top cogs . Sunrace goes 32 , 36 , 42 , 50 and the Shimano goes 33 , 39 , 45 , 51 . Excuse the bike - still dirty from its last ride . Hopefully pics don`t load upside down .
It's a bit w
Hahahahaha derp .
auto correct .
ooops , I have no idea ...
best to obtain from a reputable source - online or in person .
Lol I got ya ;)

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very cute and bespoke, but maybe a small cable tie on the shock shaft would do...
Wasn't too keen on ramming a ziptie into the seal/bump stop on bottom out. shrugs

Re Neutron/Horizon i'd personally be skipping both and going with Hunts. I've not heard the greatest things about the hubs in the Nukeproofs whereas the Hunt (Novatech?) seem to be a better bet & have better engagement anyway. The wheelset I have (XC Wide) has been faultless, and has taken more abuse than they're probably intended for.

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Hunt or DT Swiss from the Germans would be my choice. Maybe the new Spank ones, but might be exxy.

Or, save your money for now and just ride your wheels until you break them...

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Or, save your money for now and just ride your wheels until you break them...
Well you're no fun are you? Jks!

I am actually saving my money for now, I still have a way to go for new wheels.

My criteria are:
  • 29" front and rear
  • Boost (110/148)
  • Sub-1900g
  • Minimum 29mm inner width
  • Upgradeable freehub (Hyperglide -> Microspline)
  • Damped rear hub (fucking hate angry bee hubs)
  • Decent engagement (3-10 degrees)
  • Maximum $750

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ran some numbers and took some measurements for "Project Super Smuggler"
You have a smuggler hardtail now?

Night shuttles at Kalamunda tonight. No one in the history of mountain biking has hit more poor lines than I did tonight. Several offs but no real crashes.

Did clear a few doubles for the first time ever, so that’s something I guess.
That would be some loose riding in the dark!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Well you're no fun are you? Jks!

I am actually saving my money for now, I still have a way to go for new wheels.

My criteria are:
  • 29" front and rear
  • Boost (110/148)
  • Sub-1900g
  • Minimum 29mm inner width
  • Upgradeable freehub (Hyperglide -> Microspline)
  • Damped rear hub (fucking hate angry bee hubs)
  • Decent engagement (3-10 degrees)
  • Maximum $750
XLR8 Performance Bicycle Wheels

Josh knows his stuff. There's a high chance you'll get better wheels for your spend. He'll happily have a chat and steer you in the right direction.