What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
We rode Redhill today... not roadside trails, but the actual mtb track. Awesome, as it's been a while.

We've ridden there a zillion times, over the last 20 years, but since the Boundary Rd trail-head happened, it's got super popular, and the trails more and more knarly over time, and Sue won't ride there. She's had a few major stacks there and hurt herself pretty badly, and also hates holding up a constant stream of young guns wanting to pass. So, over the last few years she'll drop me at the water tank, and I'll ride it, and meet her for a beer at the bottom. I'm cool with that, but I'd rather she was riding too.

Anyway, today we were headed for some Redhill roadside goodness, and I said, how about we check out the trail head car-park and see if it's busy. She said why not. Only one car there, so in we went.

Phark, how unfit are we? My heart rate peaked at 169 on Pine Climb. Years ago, I could often make it all the way, without dabbing, but no way now, I dab constantly, and push often. It's got knarlier and I've got older and more hopeless.

They are building new trails, and we spoke with a Parks guy who was working on a starting gate/ramp for an enduro trail which is cribbing the first part of Rock Salt.

Anyway, we didn't do anything black, but had an amazing ride and Sue was stoked. We only got passed by one young gun, and that was going up, and he was on an eBike, so pfffft.

Redhill start gate 1.jpeg

Redhill start gate 2.jpeg

Redhill flow.jpeg

Last edited:

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Went for a morning ride with my son and @Fred Nurk around Smithfield.

We'd finished our ride but Liam wanted to have a go on the jump trail (Bowhunters Intermediate). We both saw him walking back from the forest and I assumed he'd suffered another rear puncture.

Nope.

IMG_3871.JPG

Followed by a trip to ED, Xray and 5 stitches!

Big thank you to @Fred Nurk for remaining calm and helping stem the blood flow!

On the plus side, the rear tyre held up :D

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Went for a morning ride with my son and @Fred Nurk around Smithfield.

We'd finished our ride but Liam wanted to have a go on the jump trail (Bowhunters Intermediate). We both saw him walking back from the forest and I assumed he'd suffered another rear puncture.

Nope.

Followed by a trip to ED, Xray and 5 stitches!

Big thank you to @Fred Nurk for remaining calm and helping stem the blood flow!

On the plus side, the rear tyre held up :D
Ick. I'd rather puncture the rear tyre than do that. :(

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Using manufacturer-supplied weights, the DT Swiss calculator spits out an estimated 1300g "naked" wheelset! :D They'll be super zippy!!
You will love them. I had DS1 on the front and Dice Duke on the rear of ye olde BigBlue for a long time. They held true after many a ride and were an honest no fuss wheelset but the Duke weighed the rear down. I busted a few rear wheels and wanted a bulletproof one but paid in weight. I knew but didn't really notice until the wheelset was changed.

The Easton Carbon Havens have really leveled it up. Made a huge difference and Ms @Labcanary might agree.

Any possible future issues aside, which I'll try to sort out if it happens, they are 1450gms a wheelset from https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-ge...e Haven 26ers come in,1450 grams for the pair. with a total weight of 11.7kgs for BigBlue without trying.

I do appreciate a light and snappy bike but I'm not really a weight weenie. I'm old enough to remember that light is nice. Carbon wheels seem to hold a line and go where they are pointed but that might only be in my optimistic head. :)

20230508_161712.jpg

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
These wheels will be very similar to the ones on the nicked ex-#1; different model rims but from the same manufacturer. The rims are about 40g lighter each, remaining parts are/will be identical, so about 80g lighter than I had, but more notably more like 400g less than the XT set I'm currently rolling. This bike will be in the low 10.* kg range one the new boots are on.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That won't happen; totally wrong bike for how I ride! :p

Oh I know! But I can still use some imagination the duckman sending a 20ft gap yelling 26 for life! Those light wheels will help! You'd almost float...I recently looked at tyres that were heavier for 1 tyre than the wheelsel!!!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Oh yeah, also ordered a pair of ano blue brake rotor lockrings to tie in with the other highlights on the bike. No performance gain but look much nicer than the boring black rings that came stock on the XTR hubs. :p