What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
New pedals on the rook and scout. They now have dmr magnesium vaults. Services the clutch on the scout. It was in need of some grease, very wet and sticky inside!

I am not 100% sold on the vaults. Where they cut the corner sits awkward under the outer edge of my feet. Will see how I feel after a few days on them.

Took the rook for some dirt lump laps. It was fun. I rode like a Jerry.

Also saw the new adaptive track in use. Was good to see a local icon back on the trails.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
New pedals on the rook and scout. They now have dmr magnesium vaults. Services the clutch on the scout. It was in need of some grease, very wet and sticky inside!

I am not 100% sold on the vaults.
They were the first flats I bought, they were... okay. Ended up with a couple of sets at one point, and ran them on several bikes but was never really sold on the grip (or lack thereof) and always felt like I was standing on the outside edge of them and slipping off the back. Probably should've tried longer grubs screws, but ended up trying a few other pedals before settling on the Daggas. Blackspires are also plenty grippy with their skinny little pins, but have a small platform (or at least the model I had did) and as such weren't very pleasant underfoot as it felt like I was standing on the axle more than a platform.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yep as @dancaseyimages said Majura is running nicely at the moment due to the dry weather and hard work from the volunteers.

If your looking for jumps and faster stuff Stromlo is good at the moment as well but a few of the trails on the front are a bit blown out due to a race a few weeks ago. They have been working on them though so might be all fixed up now.

Give us a shout if your heading to Majura and looking for company.
Sounds like perfect timing for majura. Cheers mate. I’ll be out and about Monday, always keen for a riding mate but be aware I’ve not ridden my mtb for ages since I’ve gotten back on the moto train so the ol’ fitness is non-existent.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They were the first flats I bought, they were... okay. Ended up with a couple of sets at one point, and ran them on several bikes but was never really sold on the grip (or lack thereof) and always felt like I was standing on the outside edge of them and slipping off the back. Probably should've tried longer grubs screws, but ended up trying a few other pedals before settling on the Daggas. Blackspires are also plenty grippy with their skinny little pins, but have a small platform (or at least the model I had did) and as such weren't very pleasant underfoot as it felt like I was standing on the axle more than a platform.

There seems to be plenty of grip and I did like the concave dish for holding my foot, they were just that bit narrow. The spec says they are pretty much the same as my recently deceased black spire (105x105mm). But they are square not (is it...) Trapezoid. Flame away geometry nerds.

The rook pedals had so much play on the axle!

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I found the Nukeproof Horizon pedals had the same issue, a diagonal cut out where the outside of my foot was which just didn't sit right.

slowmick

38-39"
Took the hardtail to Lysterfield to catch up with the boys today. It only has a rear brake as the front lever disassembled itself a few weeks/months back. Forgot my Camelbak. Got about 20 metres before the chain came off. Seems the free hub was not so free and it was spitting the chain off if I stopped pedalling. Got a bit of a lap in before giving up and heading back to the car. Seems I have some maintenance to do over the long weekend.

Last edited:

Jabubu

Took the hardtail to Lysterfield to catch up with the boys today. It only has a rear brake as the front lever disassembled itself a few weeks/months back. Forgot my Camelbak. Got about 20 metres before the chain came off. Seems the free hub was not so free and it was spitting the chain off if I toped pedalling. Got a bot of a lap in before giving up and heading back to the car. Seems I have some maintenance to do over the long weekend.
Did the doors fall off your car too when you got back to it? Sounds like a very unlucky day!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I found the Nukeproof Horizon pedals had the same issue, a diagonal cut out where the outside of my foot was which just didn't sit right.

Yep. It leaves my pinky and whatever the toe next to it is called hanging awkwardly and my outer metatarsal feels confused. I'm off on the rook for some pedal adventures today so I'll have a pretty good idea if I like it or not by tonight.

Keep your eyes on the for sale threads people...could be some really comfortable pedals for sale soon! I probably should do some sort of garage sale. I have a bunch of stuff to move on.

Jabubu

Yep. It leaves my pinky and whatever the toe next to it is called hanging awkwardly and my outer metatarsal feels confused. I'm off on the rook for some pedal adventures today so I'll have a pretty good idea if I like it or not by tonight.

Keep your eyes on the for sale threads people...could be some really comfortable pedals for sale soon! I probably should do some sort of garage sale. I have a bunch of stuff to move on.
They're @moorey's favourite pedal!

crash3

Likes Dirt
Tried to enter a race over the weekend, didn't realise it was a previous event that had been postponed. As I'd entered and then scratched my entry, wasn't able to sort it out at 4pm on a Friday. So went for a spin on some singletrail that looks to be shared with motorbikes. Found some old dilapidated features that were probably built for dirt bikes. Got a bit lost, found a rusted out car, fell in a mud hole, and got back to the car just before dark.
I'd call that one an adventure.
IMG-3156.jpg

IMG-3158.jpg

If anyone needs spares for a VN commo, I know where to find some.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finished the brake bleed
Installed the drive train (I think it's shifting properly)
Got the tires on the rims
Cleaned up all the tools I've had lying around for a week and half
Stared in horror at the amount of packaging that comes with a bike's worth of bits (although most is cardboard)

Tomorrow (assuming no work emergency) will be test ride and curb suspension adjustments, then clean the Altituide in the hopes that the new bike does what I want it to and I can list the RM for sale

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Had great plans for an hour two post dinner to get a build underway tonight. That was spent looking for a BBT18 tool that I swore I bought three weeks ago. In the end I found it as I was about to leave the shed feeling guilty about leaving my teenager by himself. Turns out he was fine (not entirely sure he knew I was even there lol) so I returned to the shed to complete something!

So….short version…changed the chainring on my new (to me) (e :eek: )bike. At this rate it’ll be built by August.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Tonight I popped a new press fit BB into the Process... yipee, on the road (er, trail) again.

The SS50 fishing pic is from yesterday, but the extremely yummy (non-chef) meal pic, was tonight's dinner.

The leatheries were really on... one was so massive, I couldn't get him up the rocks, my rod was bent in half, and by the time I got down to him, he'd chewed through the line.

Two very nice meals worth.

SS50 ride fish.jpeg

SS50 ride fish eat.jpeg

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Tonight I popped a new press fit BB into the Process... yipee, on the road (er, trail) again.

The SS50 fishing pic is from yesterday, but the extremely yummy (non-chef) meal pic, was tonight's dinner.

The leatheries were really on... one was so massive, I couldn't get him up the rocks, my rod was bent in half, and by the time I got down to him, he'd chewed through the line.

Two very nice meals worth.

View attachment 400151

View attachment 400152
They are an underrated fish and have to be one of the easiest to clean. I'm not sure about "massive" though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm off on the rook for some pedal adventures today so I'll have a pretty good idea if I like it or not by tonight.
Well I don't have a good idea about them. Yesterday they were trialed on:
- omv trails, particularly the 2 short fast bits behind the jump quarry. That corner they end in needs some love!
- dirt lump laps
- over the big bridge and around the harbour. I wasn't aware that vivid was on full swing so that was a bit crowded!

Anyway my shoes stick like glue which is good. The concave sits right where I want it, which is also good. But as per previous comments...the cut off corner is a problem. I was able to get my foot into a mostly good position but then I would occasionally be brushing the crank arms plus chain and seat stays. Nye verdict is they will stay until I find something better.