What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

crash3

Likes Dirt
Finally able to get out after the wife's surgery, was only a week off but felt like an eternety.
3k's in the bloody dropper post decided it wasn't going to work anymore.
Pulled it out twice on the trail and once back at the car, but there was no fixing it. Cable run properly and tight, still won't hold. Took it out and pushed down on the seat with the post standing up in the car - still won't hold. Back to bicyclesonline for a warranty claim I guess.
Maybe I'll buy a wireless dropper now, I imagine a replacement will take a week or two to get to me - don't want to wait that long.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Finally able to get out after the wife's surgery, was only a week off but felt like an eternety.
3k's in the bloody dropper post decided it wasn't going to work anymore.
Pulled it out twice on the trail and once back at the car, but there was no fixing it. Cable run properly and tight, still won't hold. Took it out and pushed down on the seat with the post standing up in the car - still won't hold. Back to bicyclesonline for a warranty claim I guess.
Maybe I'll buy a wireless dropper now, I imagine a replacement will take a week or two to get to me - don't want to wait that long.

View attachment 385333
Inner cable wasn't adjusted too tight? ie: Does the seat post stay up if you disconnect the cable?

Pretty common to see people think they've got a failed dropper on a new bike, but it's just the release mechanism is partly activated from too much cable tension...

crash3

Likes Dirt
Inner cable wasn't adjusted too tight? ie: Does the seat post stay up if you disconnect the cable?

Pretty common to see people think they've got a failed dropper on a new bike, but it's just the release mechanism is partly activated from too much cable tension...
Thanks for the suggestion mate.
nah still did it without the cable connected

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
did your Polygon come with the tranz-x dropper seatpost?
maybe do the warranty claim and see if the replacement works, but if you have funds, get an upgraded dropper like a OneUp, KS Lev, or other. I think there is a thread on RB re good droppers

crash3

Likes Dirt
Yeah bugger, that's a shame.

Nothing inherently wrong with cable droppers though, sounds like you just copped a dud one.

Wireless is a huge price jump for something functionally the same as a cable dropper.
Yeah I didn't think the difference in price would be that high. Hooley dooley! Guess I'll stick with an internally routed one haha

did your Polygon come with the tranz-x dropper seatpost?
maybe do the warranty claim and see if the replacement works, but if you have funds, get an upgraded dropper like a OneUp, KS Lev, or other. I think there is a thread on RB re good droppers

Yeah sure did. I've contacted BicyclesOnline, sent them the video of the post compressing without the cable connected so it's pretty clear what's going on.

Awesome, thanks for that. I'll give it a read. The OneUp V2 caught my eye, they make good gear from what I can tell and the price doesn't look too high.

Lucaw

Next in line
I went to Maydena yesterday to use one of my remaining day shuttle passes

It was dry, dusty and 30 degrees. I did 6 laps in the day and rode a bunch of blues, blacks double blacks and even cleared the first 2 jump on Maydena hits (pro line) before deciding that it wasn’t worth injuring myself to send the last 2. I snapped my shifter cable on my 4th run and had to ride in my hardest gear the rest of day, flatted my rear tyre (which when I went to fix I burnt myself on my brake rotor) and my fork started squirting oil again.
Now I want to buy a downhill bike again...

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah bugger, that's a shame.

Nothing inherently wrong with cable droppers though, sounds like you just copped a dud one.

Wireless is a huge price jump for something functionally the same as a cable dropper.
Shut your dirty mouth, we should always spend stupid money to fix minor inconveniences.

My cable dropper ruined 3 rides in a row and now sits in shame in the parts bin while the AXS one has pride of place. Honestly even I thought the price was stupid but since having it I'm never going back, it would be like trying to go back to no dropper.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Shut your dirty mouth, we should always spend stupid money to fix minor inconveniences.

My cable dropper ruined 3 rides in a row and now sits in shame in the parts bin while the AXS one has pride of place. Honestly even I thought the price was stupid but since having it I'm never going back, it would be like trying to go back to no dropper.
Genuinely curious, what's the advantage? As I understand it, you still have to press a lever/button and push the saddle down yourself to lower, and press the lever/button again to raise it?

The electronic shifting, I'm still not interested but I get the argument about the better shifting or what not - but the appeal of the dropper remains a mystery to me. (If you love it, good luck to you though - I'm not "anti" it as such, it just wouldn't get my dollars).

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Genuinely curious, what's the advantage? As I understand it, you still have to press a lever/button and push the saddle down yourself to lower, and press the lever/button again to raise it?

The electronic shifting, I'm still not interested but I get the argument about the better shifting or what not - but the appeal of the dropper remains a mystery to me. (If you love it, good luck to you though - I'm not "anti" it as such, it just wouldn't get my dollars.
It is a very light and instant engagement which is really nice once you have used it. Dropper levers don't seem heavy or have a long throw until you have used one that is light and instant. Honestly for me it's nicer to use but it's not having the cable that is the biggest advantage. I guess droppers were my kryptonite but I was always having problems with cable tension, or the lever playing up, or the barrel thing slipping inside the seat tube etc etc etc during rides, so decided one day that I like riding too much to have a shitty dropper cable keep ruining them.