What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Can you do the same with old imperial shocks as well? Or is it just the newer metric ones that are designed to do that?
Basically any of the sizes that have different strokes for the same e2e, the only difference is that the shorter stroke version has a bottom out spacer on the main shaft (in the air can if air, under the bottom out bumper if coil). E.g. a 210x55 and 210x50 are the same except the 50 stroke has a 5mm spacer so it bottoms out earlier.

In air shocks, the shorter stroke versions also tend to have a larger volume token as standard, because the bottom out spacer means the compression ratio is lower so the spring rate doesn’t ramp up as much otherwise.

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Have never really been happy with riding lights sitting on the bars, so I’ve used some cheap eBay bits to make a king of light fairing where I can tuck the houses etc in behind. Will make more sense when the Gloworm X2’s arrive and the lights are triggered by remote.

Would rather fabricate something up properly but without the tools and know how, that’ll be sometime later.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Can you do the same with old imperial shocks as well? Or is it just the newer metric ones that are designed to do that?
Definitely can do.

It is how I got a 58mm stroke TriAir for my Smuggler (63mm with a 5mm spacer). I also have a 2.5mm and a 7.5mm spacer. The TriAir/Topaz (and maybe some of the newer metric RS shock) have a slotted travel spacer, so no need for a damper service to change them out.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
As others have said, it's certainly possible (imperial or metric) within the limitations of the design of the shock. What are you wanting to do? There was far less intermediate travel options in the imperial shock world than what there is with metric shocks. Reducing shock stroke is almost always do-able but reducing eye-to-eye is much trickier and may involve a modification to the equalisation dimple on the air can (or a new air can) to be done properly (although some shocks, like the Mara don't have a dimple, so they can be reduced in eye-to-eye fairly easily).

... have a slotted travel spacer, so no need for a damper service to change them out...
This is a much better approach. I wonder why Fox and RS don't do the same? They might be worried about the spacer splitting on heavy bottom out. Are the TriAir/Topaz spacers plastic?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
As others have said, it's certainly possible (imperial or metric) within the limitations of the design of the shock. What are you wanting to do? There was far less intermediate travel options in the imperial shock world than what there is with metric shocks. Reducing shock stroke is almost always do-able but reducing eye-to-eye is much trickier and may involve a modification to the equalisation dimple on the air can (or a new air can) to be done properly (although some shocks, like the Mara don't have a dimple, so they can be reduced in eye-to-eye fairly easily).
With my Norco there isn’t enough clearance to safely go from 190x45 to 190x51; I’ve sorted it with an offset bushing for now, effectively giving me a 192x51 and good clearance. Was wanting to lift the bb a little so has worked pretty well.

Being able to destroke a shock gives me the option of a 190x49 with no need for an offset bushing. Reducing the length would open up even more options, something like a 200x57 reduced to 194x51 and then use a couple of offset bushings to get it to 190-192x51.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
View attachment 380722
Gave it a final wash before I give it to it’s new owner on Monday.
Will pull those pedals off and put back onto the dj bike.
He got an good deal, he can buy his own pedals.
Sad times. Hopefully the new bike makes up for its absence.

I sold a bike recently and the buyer (who actually turned out to be a highly decent individual) asked if I had any pedals I could throw into the deal. Only flats I had were some old Saints.... but I suppose if you had no other experience of flat pedals they'd probably seem ok.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I sold a bike recently and the buyer (who actually turned out to be a highly decent individual) asked if I had any pedals I could throw into the deal. Only flats I had were some old Saints.... but I suppose if you had no other experience of flat pedals they'd probably seem ok.
The poor sod has no idea how much his shins are about to be tested.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

He’s getting a link to mtbdirect.