What are you reading? Books, articles or publications of any kind!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Ground my way through We Have Always Lived In the Castle.

Weird one, I usually like older books and the good ones don't seem to date, but this one did. Endlessly repetitive descriptive prose and just so loooong with an ending akin to a muffled fart. Entirely possible I just didn't get it, but it just felt needlessly drawn out while going in circles. Given that it's largely about the state of the mind (I think?), perhaps that was the point.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If anyone enjoys military history, give Commando by Deneys Reitz a whirl.
It's a rather incredible tale of Boer guerilla warfare in the 2nd Boer war. These guys were incredibly hardcore - farmers on horseback against the might of the British army.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Currently reading Agency by William Gibson. TV series The Peripheral - is based on the book, AFAIK.
Hmm, will need to look this up. I quite liked Pattern Recognition and looks an interesting concept.

I'm reading the Inverted Frontier books by Linda Nagata, mainly as its the only thing that looked any good on my Kindle recommendations. Its hard going, and I'm only really persevering with it as I want to see what happens. This is coming from a fan of Iain M Banks too...

PJO

in me vL comy
This was my holiday read. Entertaining but a little weird
1673470187750.png

Now halfway through this:
1673470267405.png

So far of the three Murakami books I've read/reading, The wind-up bird chronicle has been the best.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not the most well-written book I've ever read, but interesting case studies. Only up to page 130 at the moment, hoping that there's more analysis of aims, methods, successes, failures, etc. than there has been so far, rather than just a chronicling of events.

1674206583303.png

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try the ’ protectorate ‘trilogy by Megan O’Keefe - has a bit of everything .

also the ‘ Nophek Gloss ‘ by Essa Hansen

also I’ve started on and older series ‘ Rivers of London ‘ by Ben Aaronovitch , police style with magic , history and a good solid mystery .

Not as hi-faluting as some others read , but a good place to go in your head .

Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Jules Verne

I'm not reading the og, I don't know French, so it's an English translation and I guess there has been some "modernisation" of the language as it doesn't read as ye olde as Moby Dick did.

I'm really enjoying it, regarded as the book (or one of the books) that kicked off the Science Fiction genre, I can see myself reading some more of his gear.

Sci Fi being my favourite genre I'm feeling pretty bad ass and core reading it.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Long-ish but interesting article on titanium.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Currently cranking the End Of Days trilogy by John Birmingham (author of He Died with a Felafel in His Hand and the f***ing excellent alternate history Axis Of Time trilogy).

1689723264952.png

Predictably, End Of Days is really, really good. Kind of like a modern take on The Stand, but manages to make a Chinese instigated (and initially very successful) World War III entirely plausible via some pretty detailed cyberattacks. Really good character development too.