What are the ladies riding these days?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
My wife wants a new bike.
Her current bike is a single speed beach cruiser. The geraing and geo is hardly suitable for the 'up and down' terrain of Hilly Hobart, and it's certainly not agile enough for commuting along the bike track and navigating city streets.

Currently looking at an Electra Amsterdam 8 speed conversion similar to the one below

Electra.jpg

My wife says that she wants to get away from the boat like handling of the cruiser and get something a little more nimble and suitable for zipping around the city and doing commutes of up to 8kms each way along reasonably flat cycleway, and the occasional weekend family ride to the markets or picnic spots.
She wants a few gears because you need em in Hobart but is insistent that it must have twist shift and I am not interested in buying something and converting it afterwards, or dual front chainrings.

So, do any ladies have (or any men who'se ladies have) any advice on a decent ladies bike?
Fast, smooth, reliable, comfortable.

All suggestions considered and all help welcomed and appreciated.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
My lady is riding a 2014 Giant Lust 27.5 2... But that's a bit too much, judging by the above photo. :p

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check out the specialized Ariel range.

We looked really hard at these before my wife ended up on the specialized myka 26", which was just a little more suited to the family rides with the occasional rocky single track.

T-Rex

Template denier
Mrs T-Rex has a Mongoose hybrid thing, semi step through, 3 x 8 with a Sram twist shift. It's 5 years old, been ridden about three times, and is taking up valuable space in the Shed at the House of Rex.

Would you like to take it?

Oh yeah, and for comfort, it's got a saddle with a shock absorber, and it's about as wide as my favourite armchair.