Welp, I hate my gravel bike......

Coopz

Likes Dirt
I came very close to buying a drop bar grave bike a few weeks ago. As I never really liked drop bar riding I decided to convert my flatbar road bike into a gravel bike (Avanti Blade 2). Even with V-brakes, took off the stock 580mm and put a 700mm handlebar on it, 36c gravel tyres. Goes well on rough terrain, the bike cost me $250 second hand, $100 for the tyres and $30 for the bars. Still thinking of buying a proper flatbar gravel bike but I just see them as 90's mountain bikes with skinny tyres.

Attachments

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
If the bike isn't comfy to ride in any conditions you'd be in strife? What's it ride like on the road? My 'gravel bike' is my CX/commuter bike I've put 1000's of commuting Km's before I put 38mm tyres on and called it a gravel bike.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I have the same bike (well, the s2). I run it with 35mm slicks 90% of the time. Basically a super comfy road bike with the fat tubeless slicks and steel frame. Still reasonably fast too.

Pull out the WTBs for a change occasionally and novelty long rides on extremely mellow and flat dirt roads.

Here in Canberra I see posts of people who go gravel grinding in the brindies etc and there is a fair bit of 'hike a bike' going on...gotta laugh when I do the same rides no problem on my hardtail :D . But yea nah the gravel bikes are cool

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Still thinking of buying a proper flatbar gravel bike but I just see them as 90's mountain bikes with skinny tyres.
With outrageous pricing to boot.

Gravel bikes are great. I have 2. But in all honesty, unless it's a mix of 80% tarmac and hard pack then forget it. Hardtail comes out each and every time. A lot of folk buy into the gravel scene with the wrong expectations. If I'm riding any kind of rocky sectino with rocks size of my tiny fists, then yeah it's going to be a 29er. Ideally rigid, but a fork doesn't hurt.

Years ago there used to be events called the dirt gran fondo. Basically year on year folks were choosing cross (gravel was not a term back then, but monstercross was?) vs hardtails. I think more wins went to hardtails than cross bikes. The year I did it, the hardtail guy basically won because the cx guy had a flat. Make what you will of that...

Coopz

Likes Dirt
With outrageous pricing to boot.
Yeah I liked at my lbs the other week for a new stem, had a nice looking flat bar gravel/roadie, alloy frame, carbon fork, Deore disc brakes and SLX gears (with a Sold sticker on it) all for the bargain price of $3000.... My brain is just thinking there's about $360 worth of Chinese metal and plastics there..

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Sold your ebike yet Grandad?
Enlighten me...what has selling an Ebike got to do with roadies and gravel riding? Oh wait...I get it now. You're suggesting that if I ride an e-mountainbike, I cant ride a normal mountain bike...just like a roadie...too smart for me.

Last edited:

Mitten

Likes Bikes
Hey Mitten,
A couple of points:
  • Are the tires tubeless?
  • If so what do weigh?
  • How wide are the tires?
  • How wide are the rims?
  • How wide are the handlebars?
  • How long is the stem?
  • Were you trying to descend on the hoods or drops?
The final point has been raised before, but a gravel bike is like an unsuspended 90's MTB. They are great for traveling long distances at speed. However, the habit a lot of MTBers have gotten into (with longer travel bikes) is trying to ride a gravel bike like a plow machine, you need to look ahead and choose your lines more. (just food for thought)

-Tubeless ready but running tubes.
-Not sure
-40c
-Have to check that one
-42cm
-110mm
-Hoods mainly, the drops are very hunched over although it gives better brake force I don't like the position much.

Starting to think this bike is great as a roadie, I'm trying as people have said to ride it like my mtb and not enjoying it. Maybe I'll just stick to the hard packed stuff. I have a mtb for the rough stuff, I really should have just left it at that.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
the drops are very hunched over
Lift the bars up if you have enough steerer or can flip/swap your stem. Drops should be comfy (ish).

Definitely go tubeless. Probably less pressure. But realize you still can't plough rock gardens or baby head filled decents.

Maybe look at a dropper or just run your saddle a bit lower. Helps trying to get over the back like old mtbs pre-droppers...

bear the bear

Is a real bear
-Tubeless ready but running tubes.
-Not sure
-40c
-Have to check that one
-42cm
-110mm
-Hoods mainly, the drops are very hunched over although it gives better brake force I don't like the position much.

Starting to think this bike is great as a roadie, I'm trying as people have said to ride it like my mtb and not enjoying it. Maybe I'll just stick to the hard packed stuff. I have a mtb for the rough stuff, I really should have just left it at that.
Swapping to tubeless is the first step as it will allow lower tire pressures ie sub 40psi with lower snakebite risk.
Also look into wider flared bars and a shorter stem will allow better control.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Yeah gravel bikes are shit. Perfect for fencesitters.
I own one and would agree...but I think they make better road bikes for 95% of people who aren't racing. More comfortable, more robust, more steel options, proper brakes, proper axles, proper rim width, can fit proper width tyres, tubeless, 30/46 and front and wider cassettes in the rear, generally more options for mounting gear and water bottles etc. The option to occasionally venture onto smooth dirt. F*ck traditional road bikes.