Weber Q barbies

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Folks.

Just went and splurged on a 2000q. Read the reviews blah blah blah. All sounds good blah blah blah.

Anyone had any luck with pizzas using the pizza stone and any tips that they found and went 'damn that's cool'? Anyone know where to get non original accessories that won't cost me the world?

I know it is just a bbq but you guys haven't seen how excited I get when I get my order called at Macas. It is a big thing for me.

Thanks!

stirk

Burner
Folks.

Just went and splurged on a 2000q. Read the reviews blah blah blah. All sounds good blah blah blah.

Anyone had any luck with pizzas using the pizza stone and any tips that they found and went 'damn that's cool'? Anyone know where to get non original accessories that won't cost me the world?

I know it is just a bbq but you guys haven't seen how excited I get when I get my order called at Macas. It is a big thing for me.

Thanks!
It's not just a BBQ, the Weber q is a lifestyle!

Pizza comes out really nice just be sure to make your own base, bought ones are rubbish and dry out before the toppings are cooked.

Rip off those weak 'tables' on the sides and put it on a nice long bench top, best accessory ever.

These bbq's tend to be hottest on the right-hand side which is where you can place some smoking chips to add awesome flavour to you food.

I never did write up recipes.. http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?294172-Why-I-love-my-Weber-BBQ

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Folks.

Thanks!
Pizza stone in the Weber works fantastic, I got mine from Aldi (as a gift) and it works a treat. As above make your own bases and keep them reasonably thin, I’ve also found it’s best to cook the base on one side before flipping it and loading it up with toppings, turned out a bit ‘doughy’ otherwise!

I use a genuine Weber hotplate, it’s good but needs alot of heat into before you start cooking otherwise it’s useless (until it heats up)! Usually I turn the BBQ on as I start prepping so it’s ready to cook when I am!

My other tip is ignore the temperature gauge as it’s not very accurate/good gauge for cooking! I cook roasts in the Weber and now I run the Weber flat out and check how the meat is cooking with a meat thermometer – I think ours is from a $2 shop and does the trick! The problem I was having was undercooking the meat as opposed to charcoaling it, so I haven’t completely ruined any meals!

DeBloot

Feeling old
The temp gauge on my new Ziegler and Brown is spot on
Just BBQ'd my first roast and was a sensation with FA help from me
Just a slight tweak every now and then to keep it at 180 degrees

Good tip on turning the pizza dough
Pizza is my next experiment
So before I google, how do you make a nice wholesome dough

Flow-Rider

Burner
I use about 10 skewers through the middle of the roast horizontally to help cook the roast more even.

The piazzas with a thin crust, cook better when the stone isn't in direct contact with the flame or grill.
Capture.JPG

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Pizza stone in the Weber works fantastic, .... I’ve also found it’s best to cook the base on one side before flipping it and loading it up with toppings, turned out a bit ‘doughy’ otherwise!

I use a genuine Weber hotplate, it’s good but needs alot of heat into before you start cooking otherwise it’s useless (until it heats up)! Usually I turn the BBQ on as I start prepping so it’s ready to cook when I am!

My other tip is ignore the temperature gauge as it’s not very accurate/good gauge for cooking! I cook roasts in the Weber and now I run the Weber flat out and check how the meat is cooking with a meat thermometer – I think ours is from a $2 shop and does the trick! The problem I was having was undercooking the meat as opposed to charcoaling it, so I haven’t completely ruined any meals!
This sounds crap.
I'm not sure it's a BBQ if there is no charcoal or wood. It sound more like a poor quality gas cooker.

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm not sure it's a BBQ if there is no charcoal or wood.
You'd be way in the minority there......BBQ's cook meat and stuff. I spill beer all over mine.

If you want to be a tosser and say it needs this, needs that, go right ahead but the VAST majority use gas. And enormously happy with that.

davehirst

Likes Dirt
I am enormously happy with my weber baby q, but I often think its a gas oven!
To me a BBQ should have wood or charcoal, but I am a bit old school

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I am enormously happy with my weber baby q, but I often think its a gas oven!
To me a BBQ should have wood or charcoal, but I am a bit old school
Point being that gas is quick and clean.
Weber Kettle is the go for my slow cooking or authentic bbq feel, and the Genesis for the day to day!

Had a Baby Q for a number of years before I got the Genesis, wicked little unit.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Last edited:

RB 24

Likes Dirt
I got a pizza stone and was going to use a cooling rack to sit on the grill to keep it a bit elevated. A mate has a komodo and that thing is awesome..but just not portable for when we go away for racing.

there are some ripper pizza dough recipes around that don't need extra base cooking or stuff. The dude is a blow hard but his dough works every time and is crispy.
www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/pizza-dough/

I like the idea of a few wood chips to smoke up when doing a lamb roast or something. Who else has tried that and how much chips is too much?

also anyone done a whole fish?

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
The temp gauge on my new Ziegler and Brown is spot on
Just BBQ'd my first roast and was a sensation with FA help from me
Just a slight tweak every now and then to keep it at 180 degrees

Good tip on turning the pizza dough
Pizza is my next experiment
So before I google, how do you make a nice wholesome dough
I can't fathom why you'd turn a pizza dough before putting the toppings on... If it's turning out doughy, it's probably too thick.

The dough I make has always turned out well, and is enough for 3 decent sized pizzas. I use a mixmaster to do the kneeding, with a dough hook, and I use kitchen scales to measure ingredients rather than measuring cups.

To the mixmaster bowl I add:

270ml luke warm water
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Pinch of Salt
510 grams of flour
7 grams yeast

Whack it on and let it kneed for 10 minutes or so, until it's all well mixed and a nice smooth dough. Give it a bit more of a kneed by hand, return to the bowl and cover with cling wrap and leave it in a warm spot for a few hours.

You could use the same ratios and hand kneed too, I'm just lazy.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Best Weber Q hack is put some wheels on it so the kids can roll it around. Ours gets taken to local jazz concerts in park, down to the beach, random picnics and camping. Beats carrying it yourself.

We also use a small 1.25kg gas bottle and decant from a 9kg. Lasts about 4hrs and light enough for the kids to carry.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
My other tip is ignore the temperature gauge as it’s not very accurate/good gauge for cooking!
It should be. Just call Weber for a replacement. That's what I did when mine looked suspect. If it's still under warranty they'll even ship it for free so you won't pay a cent.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I can't fathom why you'd turn a pizza dough before putting the toppings on... If it's turning out doughy, it's probably too thick.

The dough I make has always turned out well, and is enough for 3 decent sized pizzas. I use a mixmaster to do the kneeding, with a dough hook, and I use kitchen scales to measure ingredients rather than measuring cups.

To the mixmaster bowl I add:

270ml luke warm water
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Pinch of Salt
510 grams of flour
7 grams yeast

Whack it on and let it kneed for 10 minutes or so, until it's all well mixed and a nice smooth dough. Give it a bit more of a kneed by hand, return to the bowl and cover with cling wrap and leave it in a warm spot for a few hours.

You could use the same ratios and hand kneed too, I'm just lazy.
Make sure you're using 00 flour. If you're flipping the dough, it ain't hot enough in there.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Can someone tell me why these are better than a conventional BBQ and can you actually fit enough food for a family on the family size one?

Also, how the hell does a regular four burner cost up to $350 a year to run? I do anywhere between 1 and 5 BBQs a week and I maybe use 5 9kg bottles in a year, new rocks every two, same with the cover and oiling of the timber.

EDIT, never mind, they assume people buy a barbeque with a hood and cook with the hood up, so is a hood just for keeping the rain out of a normal BBQ?

Weber® Q Pays For Itself...
Over and Over Again.
If saving money matters to you, you would have to be crazy to use an old fashioned barbecue that cooks with the lid up more than absolutely necessary. Cooking with the lid raised is like using the air conditioning on a 400C day and leaving the roof wide open. And the figures prove it. Vince Monsigneur, the CEO of Gastrain Ltd (his company trains BHP Billiton and AGL gas employees), points out that running a typical four burner barbecue (72 MJ) three times a week for five years will cost you about $1,750 in gas. Weber’s ultra-efficient lid-down cooking system is an absolute winner. Running a baby Q just as often will cost you only $210, a mid-sized Weber Q will cost $300 and a Family Q $530.* So using a Weber Q will save you anywhere from $1,200 to $1,500 in gas alone. Makes a cheap four burner barbecue look very expensive, doesn’t it? These days, so many people save money by using a Q nearly all of the time. It’s not just the money though; once people experience the flavour of Weber’s lid down cooking, they just can’t accept cooking the old way again.

Last edited:

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Well update.

We did pizzas tonight. I didn't have the special lift up rack thing to keep the pizza stone off the grills. So I grabbed a oven cooling rack inverted it and worked a treat. The thing took about 15 min to heat up but once hot was cooking a pizza in about 6-8 minutes. The bases were cooked and crispy with the toppings cooked perfect.

The mrs just did a google on weber pizza base recipe. Was better than I expected.

Going out to a horse event on Friday and am taking the Q. Going to cook a split chook in it for a hot chicken roll for lunch to go with home brew draught.

Love the thing so far.

stirk

Burner
Can someone tell me why these are better than a conventional BBQ and can you actually fit enough food for a family on the family size one?

Also, how the hell does a regular four burner cost up to $350 a year to run? I do anywhere between 1 and 5 BBQs a week and I maybe use 5 9kg bottles in a year, new rocks every two, same with the cover and oiling of the timber.

EDIT, never mind, they assume people buy a barbeque with a hood and cook with the hood up, so is a hood just for keeping the rain out of a normal BBQ?
I have 3 BBQ's and actually need another two or three.

There is no conventional method with any of them apart from the fact they all invovle fire of some kind and a cooking surface and sometimes I may use the hood and others maybe not depending on what I'm cooking.

As to whether a Q will feed a family, depends how big your family is and what you are cooking. 4 person family yeah no problems, its only cooking the meat not all the other sides. I manage to keep the food rolling out on a baby Q for small BBQ's around 10 adults 10 kids.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I have 3 BBQ's and actually need another two or three.

There is no conventional method with any of them apart from the fact they all invovle fire of some kind and a cooking surface and sometimes I may use the hood and others maybe not depending on what I'm cooking.

As to whether a Q will feed a family, depends how big your family is and what you are cooking. 4 person family yeah no problems, its only cooking the meat not all the other sides. I manage to keep the food rolling out on a baby Q for small BBQ's around 10 adults 10 kids.
Yeah I'd have a few veggies going as well, even a 4 burner gets a bit small when doing meat, toads in the holes and some veggies. My sister has a six burner and it is awesome, four pizzas on the plates and a couple of garlic breads on the grill.

So the Weber Q is just a more efficient BBQ with equal heat distribution? I probably wouldn't buy one just because of the enamel coating on the cooking surfaces, it seems to go to crap on a lot of BBQs(may not on the Q though).