Water bottle cage for under the downtube?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Oranges have the bottle slung underneath… Recommendations for a cage that will work upside down and not lose the bottle?

The Orange Facebook peeps reckon a fidlock is the go, but 90 bucks feels like a lot for a water bottle…

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Oranges have the bottle slung underneath… Recommendations for a cage that will work upside down and not lose the bottle?

The Orange Facebook peeps reckon a fidlock is the go, but 90 bucks feels like a lot for a water bottle…
AliExpress have knock off fidlock bottles. As long as it doesn't get squashed in transit they are ok. I bought one to test out, it was great so bought another, but the second one had a damaged bottle on arrival (no padding, it was loose in a post bag). So I ended up with two mounts and one bottle to use. Which isn't so bad for a second bike I suppose.

Edit: scrap that, the seller and knockoff bottles no longer exist.

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Or fabric cageless:
Have lost a couple of Fabric bottles, switched to Fidlock and never looked back. Fidlock underneath would have the added advantage of not smashing your cage if you 50:50 something.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Have lost a couple of Fabric bottles, switched to Fidlock and never looked back. Fidlock underneath would have the added advantage of not smashing your cage if you 50:50 something.
Good to know re: fabric bottles.
I'm not sure one would want to smash a fidlock bottle, given how much they cost!
Having said that, I had a cage and bottle on the down tube of my Spitfire. It was shit. I ended up taking it off and either not carrying water (short rides), or taking a backpack with water (longer rides)

@Haakon, how about a trendy handlebar cage mount? ;)

Haakon

Water bottles under the DT are the worst. Just get one of the Camelbak bottle holsters like the Podium Flow or Flash belt @Haakon and carry a bottle that way.
Jesus - is that a camelbak bum bag….? :oops:Hard pass…

I use a normal camelbak, this is just for spare water on longer rides and some downtube protection :)

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Good to know re: fabric bottles.
I'm not sure one would want to smash a fidlock bottle, given how much they cost!
Having said that, I had a cage and bottle on the down tube of my Spitfire. It was shit. I ended up taking it off and either not carrying water (short rides), or taking a backpack with water (longer rides)
Not that I'm offering to test the theory but I think that an impact like that on Fidlock would just flick the bottle from the mount and presumably you'd notice in time to pick it up. Conversely I have been on bike packing trip where a friend smashed his downtube mounted cage going over a log and then we had to MacGyver something up to carry the bottle for the rest of the trip.

Both times I lost Fabric bottles were just rough descents and I didn't notice they were gone until I reached the bottom.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I used to use a normal King Cage on the bottom of the downtube when I took a second (camelbak brand) bottle on a long ride. Worked fine and never lost one or noticed any issues with it. I did always swap the lid over with the ‘clean’ bottle from inside the frame triangle as the lower one would cop some crud.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I used to use a normal King Cage on the bottom of the downtube when I took a second (camelbak brand) bottle on a long ride. Worked fine and never lost one or noticed any issues with it. I did always swap the lid over with the ‘clean’ bottle from inside the frame triangle as the lower one would cop some crud.
This was my issue with under frame bottles. The sucky bit would get filthy. Maybe I should ride more salubrious locations?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you do go the under-DT path, would also recommend fidlock. Have one mounted upside down on the Marino and have never lost a bottle.

Get the one with a cap (or at least another bottle with cap if not going fidlock), because otherwise you are going to be consuming just as much dirt and grit as water.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

yeah nah, something like the topeak versamount bottle cage mounts $15 at the wiggles, might do the trick. what's the diam of the tube you want to mount a cage on?

found this article:

also BBB HaulerMount,
& SKS anywhere

This Zefal one "Zefal Gizmo" uses zipties, so it might be the best bet. (a bit of plumber's tape would help secure them to the tube to stop it slipping or marking the tube)

Haakon

yeah nah, something like the topeak versamount bottle cage mounts $15 at the wiggles, might do the trick. what's the diam of the tube you want to mount a cage on?

found this article:

also BBB HaulerMount,
& SKS anywhere

This Zefal one "Zefal Gizmo" uses zipties, so it might be the best bet. (a bit of plumber's tape would help secure them to the tube to stop it slipping or marking the tube)
It has conventional mounting bolts under the down tube - thats just where they are on the Oranges...

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
It has conventional mounting bolts under the down tube - thats just where they are on the Oranges...
as long as you are happy putting a bottle there, then all good.
I got a couple of these for my road bike, and they were a pain in the everything to get the bottles out, (camelbak podium)
so they could be a solid choice.
This "prime doyenne"
looks to be an identical cage