WARNING: scammers active in Private Messages

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Folks,

A couple of members have recently alerted me to other members contacting them via PM in response to their wanted to buy threads. The people contacting them were very new accounts with no posts in any threads or engagement of any kind on this website and their general e-demeanor was dodgy.

Everything about these accounts scrams 'scammer'. It's possible that they are just grey importers trying to evade our general trading system by using PMs, however I think that is very unlikely. I'm convinced they are low-end scammers out to make a few bucks from online trading systems.

If anyone contacts you with such an approach, please get in touch with either me, @Dozer @Tubbsy or @Dales Cannon and we will permanently ban those accounts.

Cheerio,

j

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Good heads up @johnny.

I'm sure most of you have a decent bullshit radar, but one thing in common with this kind of thing is referring to whatever is being traded as 'the item', or something similarly generic.

Lucaw

Next in line
Good heads up @johnny.

I'm sure most of you have a decent bullshit radar, but one thing in common with this kind of thing is referring to whatever is being traded as 'the item', or something similarly generic.
often they will copy-paste something simular to this
Hello,buddy you can mail me scottlallana444@gmail.com or you text me 2197676043,i have it for sale.

Sent from my SM-G935L using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Can you set a rule that you can't send PMs until you've posted 5 times or something?

Also, Tapatalk is dead giveaway of a dodgy person.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a wanted to buy up for some brake calipers:

Got this nearly straight away:

Feb 24, 2022

Hello I’m sure my old man still have that you can text him via email
Keinjames13@gmail.com

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No responses to my questions, so I ignored it.

BTW, the poster had only been on Rotorburn 2 days.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I have a wanted to buy up for some brake calipers:

Got this nearly straight away:

Feb 24, 2022

Hello I’m sure my old man still have that you can text him via email
Keinjames13@gmail.com

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No responses to my questions, so I ignored it.

BTW, the poster had only been on Rotorburn 2 days.
He got banned about an hour ago.

Prime example of what we're referring to here and the more I read about it, the more I think it might be a bot.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah mine asked for me to send my email address and didn't know the different parts of a fork. Knew what brand and model and was able to find similar models from the same brand so smart bot or dumb human.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Shit! I just transferred a lot of money via western union to purchase a original Led Zeppelin the object. If they had said the item I wouldn't have been fooled!

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah I had a ridiculous scammer contact me from USA allegedly who was going to sell me a bike rack.
it was so obvious that I told him so.