Warburton trail updates

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah some of that is marketing bullshit and i am not really involved but professionals are building onto and rebuilding or realigning some of the existing 80 + kms of mtbike stuff and building a giant figure of 8 with a crossover at the high point near "Redhill" and the apex of the 8 at Beechworth.
The new bits we are allowed to ride at present are bermy and flow well.
I believe the above mentioned waterfall will be bridged , currently we cross on a slippery aluminium ladder or take off our shoes and wade across.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
The Warburton trails issue was on ABC news just now. They interviewed the local publican and a local mountain biker, who, the journo said, was "hurtling"down the trails. Jesus H Christ. what a load of bullshit. She was cruising along some single track. any slower and she would have had a clip stack. they also interviewed a couple of NIMBYs for "balance" :rolleyes: probably people who had made hysterical submissions to the impact statement or whatever it was.
Anyhoo, going to be decided on soon.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Did they mention about the current planning minister just resigning?
Adds yet another cluster to this cluster f##k
Sorry Chris, I don't recall. only that it would be decided upon soon. it will probably be in the papers tomorrow and FB/Twitter etc

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
They're 2 faced idiots, I challenge them here all the time and they try to blame everything on MTBers. They're happy trampling different vegetation each time they go into the bush, to flash a camera in an animal's face.
I've found the same thing.
Mountain bikers are a scourge on the environment, with the plants and flora wilting an dying as we rip the trails to shreds, leaving a barren wasteland in our wake, while the the walkers literally float through the forest, as they pass the flowers come into bloom and the animals all gather around like some sort of animated Disney movie.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yeah the publican is onside. That's the kind of brand synergy MTB can be proud of.

What's with old mate dreds whining about how it's going to kill them all in a bushfire? Aren't Parks all closed in days of extreme fire conditions?

Stredda

"We have to protect every pocket of forest" she says whilst standing on her house balcony...built in the forest.
While I don't agree with what she was saying, she's on a boardwalk in a public space not her house.
Yes she is on a public boardwalk but if she was so concerned with protecting every last pocket she would be pushing to close all the walking tracks too, and I bet she would be against that. ;)
Same goes with the dreadlock guy, he was concerned about the safety of riders in the event of bushfires, living in a house surrounded by bush that is also at risk in a bushfire.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yes she is on a public boardwalk but if she was so concerned with protecting every last pocket she would be pushing to close all the walking tracks too, and I bet she would be against that. ;)
Same goes with the dreadlock guy, he was concerned about the safety of riders in the event of bushfires, living in a house surrounded by bush that is also at risk in a bushfire.
It's never them that make tracks or spread weeds, right? :rolleyes:

Stredda

It's never them that make tracks or spread weeds, right? :rolleyes:

View attachment 390680View attachment 390681
The level of hypocrisy is pretty high.
I do agree that there should be some areas that shouldn't have mountain bike trails, like the the world heritage area in Tasmania for instance.
I think that in some cases, mountain bike trails do cause more damage like erosion than a walking trail (like with heavily ridden descent) but with a more sedate adventure like trail this can easily compare to any walking trail if built correctly.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Yeah the publican is onside. That's the kind of brand synergy MTB can be proud of.

What's with old mate dreds whining about how it's going to kill them all in a bushfire? Aren't Parks all closed in days of extreme fire conditions?
My next door neighbor ( the only local I know against it ) says similar things with bushfires , if we have a bushfire , they will block all the roads trying to get out she reckons ,and its hard enough getting an ambulance now is another one , on her high horse ,

meanwhile she has the messiest house in the street ,piles of rubbish, overgrown blackberry bushes and broken down cars , wife wont open the curtains on that side of the lounge room so we dont have to see her yard :)

petertronica

Likes Dirt
They get the wingless stonefly expert on who waffles about how it may have a negative impact on its environment, fair enough, and then at 48:56 the host says as a preamble to a question "a wingless insect may actually become extinct as a result".

Just a lazy, lazy exageration intended to create conflict that I would expect from news corp, not the abc.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think Warburton will probably end up being the gold standard example of Nimby-ism the world over.

I'd have a guess most of them would pull out their garden hoses and 'fight' rather than evacuate, so evacuation times probably don't really come into play.