Product Review VP Harrier MTB Flat Pedals

Item: VP Harrier MTB Flat Pedals
Purchased From: Merlin Cycles
Purchase Price (approx): AUD$85-90
Usage: Installed on a Cannondale 1FG. Only used for light trail, gravel grinding and commuting at this point but will be putting them on the Trek Remedy soon

Pros - light, large pins and great traction and have pins in the middle of the platform, which many platform pedals do not
Cons - not concave enough but doesn't detract greatly from performance

Comments: I'm pretty happy with these pedals as they do everything I need and look good. I have wide feet so prefer a larger platform, these are some of the largest flat pedals around. They are also very low profile so the weight is on the low end at 362 grams for the pair according to the manufacturer (I'll weigh them and take pics myself when I pull them off the 1FG and put them on the Remedy).

The weight is kept low by using an IGUS bearing and a DU bushing rather than a cartridge bearing in the middle or end of the platform. The result of this axle type is that there is a tiny bit of movement between the bushing and the spindle. This can be felt when riding and on a pedal that uses a sealed bearing setup one might feel a little concerned and check for loose pedals or cranks. Learning to expect a fraction of a millimeter's movement in the pedal will be easy for some, as it was for me, but may suit others.

The platform seems quite robust but given my elite riding skills I am yet to clip any rocks and put the pedal's structural integrity to the test. I would recommend these pedals to anyone who prefers flats (or like myself, cannot ride clipless do to bung knees) for DH, AM/Enduro or even XC given their light weight. However, if you are prone to dropping a pedal every now and then you may want to consider some serious leg guards as these pedals boast huge pins, which likely have a hefty appetite for shin meat!

Pictures/Videos - Sorry, would prefer to have put my own pics up but current situation doesn't allow:
Harrier-website.jpg
p4pb10818372.jpg

Comments

I have these as well, but the DH-5 model which have the updated axle which allegedly reduces the chance of play developing. I bought them from Cycling Deal and they were 10 bucks cheaper than the DH-2 above @ $89.00.
Love these pedals as well, but as mentioned they are pretty flat, but still grip pretty well.

Dang, how long ago was that? Now I feel like I got ripped.

Not really though, I'm happy with what I paid, how they work and the value I've received regardless of what else may have been sourced. It does suggest I need to upgrade my researching skills though!

Do the pedals you bought have any other difference than the axle type?

Dang, how long ago was that? Now I feel like I got ripped.

Not really though, I'm happy with what I paid, how they work and the value I've received regardless of what else may have been sourced. It does suggest I need to upgrade my researching skills though!

Do the pedals you bought have any other difference than the axle type?
It was about 2 months ago and they are otherwise identical. I nearly bought the same ones as yours because I thought that as they were more expensive they must be better. For once being a tightwad worked in my favour.

Just came across this thread when hunting for info on these pedals.

Johnny and Azza, how have they been since you got them? (servicing, creaks, play, pins etc?)
Also what US shoe size are you guys?

Just came across this thread when hunting for info on these pedals.

Johnny and Azza, how have they been since you got them? (servicing, creaks, play, pins etc?)
Also what US shoe size are you guys?
I am US 9 in FiveTens and I love the pedals, but I did have a issue where the tiny caged bearing on the very end of the spindle collapsed and when I pulled the pedal apart, to re lube, I lost all the balls etc.. I took them back and they were replaced under warranty and the new ones have been fine.
I recently bought a set of Chromag Scarabs, that cost twice the price,and I am not sure that I like them as much as the Harriers. The Scarabs, being concave, really let you know when your foot is not in the right position, which can mess with your head, whereas the Harriers are very flat and your feet feel good however they land on them.
Service kits seem to be non-existent so I contacted VP Components in the US and they said they would send out a rebuild kit at no charge, but I never actually saw it.

Ah awesome. They appear pretty bang for buck in the 'bigfoot' pedal category vs the Stamps and a few others. Thanks for the info

First ride this weekend on them. Felt big, flat and grippy. Mentally felt more planted on the bike.
Came from Wellgo MG1's.
Attached are side by side images. Not the best photographer clearly ... hah but you get the idea.
Upon first seeing the Harriers, I thought I may have an issue with the body of the pedals being close to the cranks (unlike the Wellgo's that have a spacer) but all good.
I'm a US10 and use FiveTen Freeriders.
Paid $94 from Cycling Deal. You can get it for cheaper if you wait around for those 10% or 20% eBay promos.

Wellgo dimensions: 114.6 x 106.2 x 30.8mm
VP dimensions: 120 x 110 x 12mm

On paper it looks like a tiny increase but I think the Wellgo measurement takes into account the spacer and also both faces of the pedal are staggered so it's taking the end of one face to the end of the other (rather than just one side's face measurement) vs the Harrier's face being in line.

Overall I'm happy with the Harriers. It's not an OMG difference but a small increase in confidence and comfort.

Would recommend / 10

Attachments

One thing I like about these pedals is that they don't use those stupid circlips that some manufacturers used to use to hold the pedal on the shaft. I once landed from a jump fairly sideways and the pedal just flew off the shaft sideways!

just got a pair of these myself, much prefer to the saints i had, really like the lower profile, i also like they are not concave..the grip is good so far, just used 1 long ride but already happy with them

just got a pair of these myself, much prefer to the saints i had, really like the lower profile, i also like they are not concave..the grip is good so far, just used 1 long ride but already happy with them
Don’t you mean ‘not convex’?
You want concave on a pedal.

Don’t you mean ‘not convex’?
You want concave on a pedal.
Some people like the convex shape. Its a wierd phenomena. I've wondered if it relates to arch shape? I have very high arches and dislike convex. Do you concave haters all have flat feet?

Concave is the go. There’s no grip on the axle.
Convex pedals are shite for grip. It’s harder to get concave on a thinner pedal, hence usually having much longer, angry pins.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/giant-bicycle-co-pty-ltd-pinner-dh-flat-pedals

Rebranded VP Harriers. V1 is the DH2 and V2 is the DH5.

My first DH5 set was fine, second set failed on first ride.

Great pedal when it worked!
I had the version one and still had issues with that bolt stripping due to the lateral force on the spindle. I really liked the feel of the pedal, they rode beautifully. But their durability problems have stopped me from purchasing more at the price they're asking.

$50 and I'd buy more and be happy for 10-12 months use of the product.

I had the version one and still had issues with that bolt stripping due to the lateral force on the spindle. I really liked the feel of the pedal, they rode beautifully. But their durability problems have stopped me from purchasing more at the price they're asking.

$50 and I'd buy more and be happy for 10-12 months use of the product.
Ah yep makes sense. I remember reading that the first version having play was a common problem.
It's a shame that the service kits were impossible to get a hold of too. Personally had no luck with where I purchased them from, Aussie distributor and VP directly.

I ended up joining the masses and going Vaults.