Vorsprung upgrades to fox36 fit4

Petero

Likes Dirt
Hey All,
So I have spare 2018 fox 36's and am a tinkerer, thinking about increasing airspring travel so... considering adding all the vorsprung goodies.

Hoping for some real world reviews or comparisons to the latest & greatest to both the lufkappe and fractive kits....

TIA

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I had the Luftkappe and Fractive fitted to some Fox 34s - unfortunately I got that done just before the first lockdown/home schooling period hit and didn't get much time on the bike immediately after. From memory the fork sat higher more of the time and small bump was a little improved, but it's been a while and I don't quite recall exact impressions. Wasn't disappointed, wasn't blown away.

Now have them on the Paradox, but after riding a Mezzer for the best part of a year in the interim the 34 doesn't feel quite so special anymore.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Haven't had FIT4 damper in a 36, but have had it in a couple of 34's, and loathed them. The basic Grip dampers in my Rhythm 34's and Marz Z1 (Fox 36 by another name) feel much better by comparison.

In my mind the FIT4 is a good damper for those that want to feel a good "platform" to push against (XC/"downcountry", etc...), but are easily overwhelmed in chop. The Grip damper is much more active in feel, and Grip dial is a much quicker/easier way to setup your compression.

I guess what I'm saying is (IMO) maybe don't over-invest in the FIT4, and look at other options altogether.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...In my mind the FIT4 is a good damper for those that want to feel a good "platform" to push against (XC/"downcountry", etc...), but are easily overwhelmed in chop. The Grip damper is much more active in feel, and Grip dial is a much quicker/easier way to setup your compression...
This is interesting and certainly the consensus out there on the Interwebs. I've got two 2020 Trance 29ers one with the Fox 34 grip damper (alu frame) and one with the Fit4 damper (carbon frame) but I've come to the opposite conclusion. I prefer the FIT4 over the Grip damper (but have not tried the GRIP2).

The FIT4 feels harsher than the Grip when the going is slow but the harder and faster you go the better the FIT4 performs. For hard charging it seems miles ahead of the Grip damper. The FIT4 gives much more feedback through the bars and initially I thought this was "harshness" but I can do endless descents on the FIT4 and not end up with sore hands but I do get sore hands with the GRIP.

I was loathe to ever get a Fox fork so I'm no Fox fanboy bit the F34 FIT4 is the first fork I've ever had that i haven't immediately pulled apart and revalved or otherwise modified. One thing to note though, I think the FIT4 cartridge in the 2020+ F34's is different to previous years so the FIT4 hate might be coming from peoples experience with the 2019 and earlier FIT4.

If I had an earlier FIT4 that can take the Vorsprung fractive tune goodies I would probably do that.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This is interesting and certainly the consensus out there on the Interwebs. I've got two 2020 Trance 29ers one with the Fox 34 grip damper (alu frame) and one with the Fit4 damper (carbon frame) but I've come to the opposite conclusion. I prefer the FIT4 over the Grip damper (but have not tried the GRIP2).

The FIT4 feels harsher than the Grip when the going is slow but the harder and faster you go the better the FIT4 performs. For hard charging it seems miles ahead of the Grip damper. The FIT4 gives much more feedback through the bars and initially I thought this was "harshness" but I can do endless descents on the FIT4 and not end up with sore hands but I do get sore hands with the GRIP.

I was loathe to ever get a Fox fork so I'm no Fox fanboy bit the F34 FIT4 is the first fork I've ever had that i haven't immediately pulled apart and revalved or otherwise modified. One thing to note though, I think the FIT4 cartridge in the 2020+ F34's is different to previous years so the FIT4 hate might be coming from peoples experience with the 2019 and earlier FIT4.

If I had an earlier FIT4 that can take the Vorsprung fractive tune goodies I would probably do that.
Interesting, and yes - Mine would've been 2019 or earlier. Didn't realise they'd updated them, but doesn't surprise me either now you mention it.

Petero

Likes Dirt
In my mind the FIT4 is a good damper for those that want to feel a good "platform" to push against (XC/"downcountry", etc...), but are easily overwhelmed in chop. The Grip damper is much more active in feel, and Grip dial is a much quicker/easier way to setup your compression.
I actually found the opposite.. I had the original GRIP in 34s before the FIT4 36s, the FIT4 was miles better for me.. More plush, more support, far better on repeated hits. This could all just be variances in setup of course.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I had a Fox 36 at 140mm travel with a Vorsprung fractive modified FIT4 damper and a smashpot and it was sensational.
I did have a GRIP2 damper in this fork briefly but was offered the FIT4 to try and I preferred it. It seemed to help take the edge off hits a little better and overall I preferred it.
Now how do you quantify how much was to do with the damper or coil I don't know but overall it was a really great fork and one that I would revisit again for sure if I wanted a medium travel fork.

It never creaked either!! Seems to be a travel length that the 36 can cope with.

Last edited: