Vomiting on a ride

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,
I have ALWAYS had to spew while riding and to be honest Im getting over it'and concerned about wider health issues.
On the road bike its normally the top of the first serious climb and can be similar on the MTB although it often at the bottom of the first descent,

but its only ever once right at the start I could do the same climb 4 times over again and feel fine, infact the 2nd or 3rd time be faster and stronger than on fresh legs

I recently invested in a HRM to see if it was potential over exertion but yesterday I was hardly pushing when I had to stop for a spew.
I have tried eating before a ride (a few hours) or not eating, I generally drink well on the bike. about a bottle an hour in slow sips normally I have only drunk about 1/4 of a bottle before hitting the spew.

Lastly I have also tried many types of warming up to make sure im not riding cold into a hard climb, again with little change or improvement.

Anyone have any insight? possibly whit some sort of professional qual?
I have consulted exercise sciencey types and been told I'm just over exerting and need to take it easy, after a very brief look at me.

moorey

call me Mia
You totes have Bulemia. Other than that, I got nothing. Never experienced it, and only hungover mate have ever spewed. :noidea:

dunndog

Eats Squid
I did this for a while. Never been a roadie but riding trails, and almost exclusively with a certain mate who i would have to push to keep up with. Always after the first climb or period of exertion. Not usually a spew, but very close, and a bit of dizziness, needed a 5-10 minute break. At a few spots we rode a lot I knew the log/rock/whatever that I'd be reaching for and said mate would be waiting there with a wry smile haha!
I never consulted anyone on it but I knew it was over exertion. Once i was fully recovered the rest of the ride would be fine. I don't do it anymore, and really the only changes I made were to the way I look after myself and get prepared. It was a bit of a wake up call to be honest, I've always considered myself reasonably fit, but this told me otherwise. I've never drank enough water in general, never really considered pre and post ride nutrition, warm ups etc, I just take a bit more time through every day now to think about drinking water, what am I eating if I'm riding later that day, been going to the gym regularly (personal trainer for reasons mainly to do with core balance and strength), haven't had this issue for a couple of years now. That was me, but the reasons were kinda obvious. If you've already been taking steps to negate these potential issues, then dunno. But it almost has to be initial over exertion right?
If there's a regular place you ride and this happens, try going really casually up the first climb, past the point where this would happen, so get a good long warm up, then punch the next section, and see what the result is. Interesting. Good luck bro.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
NFi either. I know the two times I've chucked while sober were hideous.

Blood pressure ok? With low Bp in the mornings I do feel nauseous

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The times I have chucked:

- 100% effort hill climbs - it was a short climb but i gave it everything.
- Too many gels.
- Actually still drunk from the night before.
- Caffeine. That stuff is really bad and makes me nauseous. I normally drink coffee, but limit to one per day if I am out riding.