DH Vintage carbon. Mcm

safreek

OK, the only giant that I have ever liked, the giant mcm 990 is in the house.

4 inches of rear travel from 1997, carbon, flowing shape, stunning really.

Whacked some fox 125r forks on it, it looks silly. Allah told me those spindly forks wouldn't do and to go out and man up with some real forks.

Finally got some Mr T forks up and running today so shall put them on tomorrow.
The forks took ages to sort, the screw on stanchions were the hardest to get. I sourced some from England but when they arrived I was disappointed as they were just the screw on bits, no internal bits. Damn, $200 wasted.

Next up was a complete fork but with a crack in the steerer assembly. Dude was always busy so it took nearly 3 months to get them. Fella always kept in contact so never really felt like I had been robbed. Can't say the same for the Cannondale frame from Victoria.

Just the start of the build but won't be going all vintage, will have a more modern drive train, the front will most likely to be disc brake.
m

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
"...screw on stanchions..."

What are these? Why do the stanchion uppers in that photo have silver rings around them?

GooGled it:

The Mr T was Marzocchi's first full production dual crown fork for a mountain bike. The Mr T was in effect a stop gap model that basically used a Z1 fork with stanchion extensions on the top to create the dual crown look, while the works riders got the hand made Super T.

The Mr T also used a new forging for the lower leg that utilised a 20mm through axle design and an I.S. disc brake mount that were both excepted standards for years. The lower legs were also used in the Z1 Duel model.

The lower crown was the same as a Z2 with the lips machined of and was placed over the stanchion join, with the crown fitted with the join at the top. The upper crown was an all-new CNC design that lived on for years on both the Super T and Jnr T models. The upper extensions had cut marks on the outer stanchion and also the inner rods so that the fork could be trimmed down to suit frames with smaller head tubes.
Holy shit!

Last edited:

safreek

"...screw on stanchions..."

What are these? Why do the stanchion uppers in that photo have silver rings around them?

GooGled it:

Holy shit!
Pretty cool eh, I wondered about the rings on the screw on bits, found the same site you did. What a top idea really.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
One of giants better frames from way back when

do you get coffee grinds spread all the way across the sink and benchtop when you're still upset with gravity/light/the time when making the first coffee of the day with the grinder in another postcode?

safreek

One of giants better frames from way back when

do you get coffee grinds spread all the way across the sink and benchtop when you're still upset with gravity/light/the time when making the first coffee of the day with the grinder in another postcode?
I have to shuttle the grinder over, it's a small kitchen. That's the stove in between, almost a bikes in ovens photo. But yes, giant dine well with these. Surprised they didn't make them for more years

safreek

Well fuck me, that was one of the quickest projects that I have done. All up and running.
10 speed for modernality, have a larf you bastards but the front brake is clarkes. Poodles will be changed to jet black instead of the silver ones.
Photos for your pleasure.
Really pissed that new Italy will be wet, don't want to get my baby all muddy.
Looks like I will be pulling the asx out for a burn in the bush. First ride on the footpath felt pretty plush. And yes, I am going to tuck the hydro cable behind the other cable for tidiness

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Great work @safreek Best looking Giant model ever.

Please don't get the urge to restore an NRS though. Some things are best left to history and fading memories.

safreek

Great work @safreek Best looking Giant model ever.

Please don't get the urge to restore an NRS though. Some things are best left to history and fading memories.
Cheers bro, I nearly bought an nrs recently but stopped myself, I don't want to be known as "that giant weirdo"
I have to admit the nrs looks good.
The mcm is my main ride atm, have not really looked at the prophet for ages. GIANTS ROOL