Vic/Melb burner bash

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
So ended up just the three of us, but still a good day out. No spill from the dam, but damn close to it; water level was/is only a few mm below the lip of the spillway.

Started with a Baridjaru/Red Carpet loop to the SE of town to get the big climb (and matching descent) done early, then toodled north to the more undulating Yaugher section to cut a loop or two. I tried to be nice & hold back a bit, but still shot away from the others on the uppy bits... I guess cutting my teeth at Red Hill has warped my perspective of pinch vs sustained climbs.... :oops: However they restored the balance when things pointed down, chewing my wheel all the way.

By the end of Marriner's Run I'd cooked the others (I swear I didn't mean it!), so they took the top bit of Foxtail back to the trailhead & out, while I took the main part of Foxtail & back onto Superloop, then out & back to town.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
So ended up just the three of us, but still a good day out. No spill from the dam, but damn close to it; water level was/is only a few mm below the lip of the spillway.

Started with a Baridjaru/Red Carpet loop to the SE of town to get the big climb (and matching descent) done early, then toodled north to the more undulating Yaugher section to cut a loop or two. I tried to be nice & hold back a bit, but still shot away from the others on the uppy bits... I guess cutting my teeth at Red Hill has warped my perspective of pinch vs sustained climbs.... :oops: However they restored the balance when things pointed down, chewing my wheel all the way.

By the end of Marriner's Run I'd cooked the others (I swear I didn't mean it!), so they took the top bit of Foxtail back to the trailhead & out, while I took the main part of Foxtail & back onto Superloop, then out & back to town.
I was thinking it was more of a slow roast right from the beginning

Was a great day out! Finally got to ride some of the Yaugher trails.

Drier than I expected, but plenty of grip for big heavy DH tyres

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It was the first time at Forrest for me, and the first time I'd ridden somewhere other than Youies in about 3 years, lol. So it was good to get out somewhere different again.

I foolishly tried to keep up with @The Duckmeister on some of the mellower climbs early on (also not anticipating how sustained the Baridjaru climb would be), then paid dearly for it later in the ride. The Yaugher side was still the most fun for me though, I really enjoyed how "natural" a lot of the trail felt. I liked the trail Grass Trees a lot - weaving winding and moderately technical with lots of small log rollovers - Definitely keen to re-ride that one again and play with some of the different line choices and little side features I spotted in the more flowing sections. Marriner's Run was great too, but definitely rewards momentum so I look forward to re-doing it with fresher legs too.

Cheers for playing tour-guide Duck, it was good fun! :)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
It was the first time at Forrest for me, and the first time I'd ridden somewhere other than Youies in about 3 years, lol. So it was good to get out somewhere different again.

I foolishly tried to keep up with @The Duckmeister on some of the mellower climbs early on (also not anticipating how sustained the Baridjaru climb would be), then paid dearly for it later in the ride. The Yaugher side was still the most fun for me though, I really enjoyed how "natural" a lot of the trail felt. I liked the trail Grass Trees a lot - weaving winding and moderately technical with lots of small log rollovers - Definitely keen to re-ride that one again and play with some of the different line choices and little side features I spotted in the more flowing sections. Marriner's Run was great too, but definitely rewards momentum so I look forward to re-doing it with fresher legs too.

Cheers for playing tour-guide Duck, it was good fun! :)
I saw quite a few alternative lines in there that if I wasn't in a race I'd turn around and investigate :)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I saw quite a few alternative lines in there that if I wasn't in a race I'd turn around and investigate :)
For sure, there was a couple of spots that seemed to have about 3 lines through one feature. Even on the more open bits of trail I caught one line where I popped from a natural lip on the side of the trail back across the trail over a root and boosted into small a downslope. I love how interactive those flowy, natural trails are. Even out on Superloop (I think), there was a log placed diagonally over the trail as a step-down or go-round trail choice, I split the difference and rode the log out and dropped into the go-around line. Plenty of fun to be had just goofing off down there. :)

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
It was the first time at Forrest for me, and the first time I'd ridden somewhere other than Youies in about 3 years, lol.
this is onky acceptable if youre a zwifter like the moose or plank, pop out to gisborne 1 night after work, or get some climbing at macedon

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
BOING!!

So with the idiot pre-footbrawl public holidee on Friday, I'm thinking it's about time for another Forrest spin. If anyone's interested to join me we'll work out a semi-precise meet time, but if it's just me it could be pretty random.... Chime in if you're keen.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
BOING!!

So with the idiot pre-footbrawl public holidee on Friday, I'm thinking it's about time for another Forrest spin. If anyone's interested to join me we'll work out a semi-precise meet time, but if it's just me it could be pretty random.... Chime in if you're keen.
Nephew's birthday on. Otherwise I'd be there.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
BOING!!

Nightshifting... :(

Any chance there could be another date organised with a fair bit of notice?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
BOING!!

Was tossing up bike camping virgin test run. If the bags arrive in time I might be a go.