Vancouver,Canada 7/1/09 - 20/12/09

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey All,

I am going to Vancouver, Canada on a GAP year (7/1/09 - 20/12/09) working in the St Georges School (West 29th just off Dunnbar).

I went to Saints previously for 11 weeks on student exchange while I was in year 10. I represented their school in the British Columbia High School Provincial Cross Country Mountain Biking Championships (I wasnt at the top end of the field but it was fun to ride in Whistler).

While I was their Dunbar Cycles (on Dunbar and 26th from memory) handled all my cycling needs, though according to their website they are now under new management. I did most of my training rides in the Pacific Spirit Regional Park (I loved that place).

If there are any really experianced Vancouver visitors/ residents that could give me a hand with getting back into the swing of MTB'ing in Vancouver that would be great.

My HSC (end of school exams) (and Yr12 generally) (Currently Studying Away!) despite the fact they havent even begun yet, have left my fittness in a really bad state. Given I have almost 12 whole months, I'd like to give my general lack of fittness the boot once and for all!!! (Im a chronic yo-yo dieter/exerciser) So unlike last time where I was just MTB'ing, Playing Rugby, Doing PE like crazy, Im looking for a more structured fittness regieme this time. So advice on supervised gyms etc would be nice. Also, any MTB'ing Clubs/ organisations (apart from school MTB training, group rides were sorely lacking last time).

Finally, what is the best Canadian/BC/Vancouver/North American MTB'ing forum? Ill be keeping contact with Farkin but Im going to need some on the ground contact with locals!

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Andrew

P.S. open invitation to visitors to Vancouver while Im over their for a MTBing/ Cycling Tour guide whilst you're there - Just PM me (it notifies me via email)