US road trip Aug/Sept

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey gang how's it going? Ready for winter???? I've just finshed building my first set of wheels which came out awesome I must say. Anyway I'm off to the US for a MTB road trip and have a rough itinerary in mind and I'm keen if anyone has any input on it or suggestions. I'll have a campervan and will be able to make changes super easy, if I like somehwere I can stay longer or if I dislike it I can bail early. Also please remember I ride up hill because I have to not because I am sick in the head and enjoy it so I'm mostly there to ride parks. This is my current ideal trip but I realise time will be incredibly tight so I think I'll have to cull off some of the eastern stuff which is why I'm keen to see what you guys all think. So here it is: -

LAX – Mammoth CA
Mammoth – Northstar CA
NorthStar CA – Moab UT
Moab Ut – Trestle Bike Park CO
Trestle Bike Park CO - Park City UT
Park City UT – Grand Targhee Bike Park WY
Grand Targhee Bike Park WY – Stevens Pass WA
Stevens Pass WA – Whistler
Whistler – LAX over 3 days????

Whistler will likely be the main focus for obvious reasons so I'm thinking a week there on it's own. Has anyone camped there? Also I have to return the van to LAX or be jammed with an extra $2k so I'm leaving 3 days to make that trip from Whistler. I've got plenty of US road trip experience so I'm comfortable with the distances etc having done 5000km there in 2011 chasing the snow. Any input is most welcome.

Cheers Scott.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Hey gang how's it going? Ready for winter???? I've just finshed building my first set of wheels which came out awesome I must say. Anyway I'm off to the US for a MTB road trip and have a rough itinerary in mind and I'm keen if anyone has any input on it or suggestions. I'll have a campervan and will be able to make changes super easy, if I like somehwere I can stay longer or if I dislike it I can bail early. Also please remember I ride up hill because I have to not because I am sick in the head and enjoy it so I'm mostly there to ride parks. This is my current ideal trip but I realise time will be incredibly tight so I think I'll have to cull off some of the eastern stuff which is why I'm keen to see what you guys all think. So here it is: -

LAX – Mammoth CA
Mammoth – Northstar CA
NorthStar CA – Moab UT
Moab Ut – Trestle Bike Park CO
Trestle Bike Park CO - Park City UT
Park City UT – Grand Targhee Bike Park WY
Grand Targhee Bike Park WY – Stevens Pass WA
Stevens Pass WA – Whistler
Whistler – LAX over 3 days????

Whistler will likely be the main focus for obvious reasons so I'm thinking a week there on it's own. Has anyone camped there? Also I have to return the van to LAX or be jammed with an extra $2k so I'm leaving 3 days to make that trip from Whistler. I've got plenty of US road trip experience so I'm comfortable with the distances etc having done 5000km there in 2011 chasing the snow. Any input is most welcome.

Cheers Scott.
Living the dream. Awesome.
Will be hanging out for your updates!

LPG

likes thicc birds
Not necessarily a us road trip if your main destination is Whistler is it. There is plenty of other good riding around British columbia.

There is some awesome riding in Colorado that would be worthwhile and not far from Utah.. When are you actually going? Some high altitude trails in Colorado aren't reliably open until late June. Some of the high altitude trails can be pretty impressive experiences.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not necessarily a us road trip if your main destination is Whistler is it. There is plenty of other good riding around British columbia.
True it doesn't have to be and in fact I should've flown into and out of Vancouver then it would've been a Canada trip only. That idea came to me AFTER I'd booked but either way it's going to be good so I'm not too stressed.

There is some awesome riding in Colorado that would be worthwhile and not far from Utah.. When are you actually going? Some high altitude trails in Colorado aren't reliably open until late June. Some of the high altitude trails can be pretty impressive experiences.
I fly out 16 Aug and return 13 Sept. I'm keen to get to Colorado but I think it's going to be a bit tight on time unless I drop something else off. Again not out of the question I'm happy to rejig the plan completely if necessary which is why I'm asking for input.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Living the dream. Awesome.
Will be hanging out for your updates!
Yeah pretty stoked. I might try a VLOG type thing although I generally hate that shit I've got a lot of mates keen to see what I'm up to. I normally just want to ride etc.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all hope everyone is well. So it's only a few short sleeps away and I'll be off on the trip. I've pretty much scratched the plans above due to scheduling with Retallack and now it's more Canada first then into the US. Anyway I mentioned to a few mates that I'd try doing some video on the trip which then spiralled into doing a trip video journal. I'm not comfortable in front of the camera and this first episode is pretty much just that but once the trip cranks up I'll have a lot more cool stuff to film. Hopefully it's not too painful and people find it worth their time. Be gentle it's my first time.....

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Great start Scott. Pretty slick for someone with no idea.

Subscribed, and looking forward to the trip.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great start Scott. Pretty slick for someone with no idea.

Subscribed, and looking forward to the trip.

Thanks mate. I have a real appreciation for what real movie makers and actors do now.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Lake Tahoe in northern California looks like some nice riding from watching BKXC vids.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lake Tahoe in northern California looks like some nice riding from watching BKXC vids.
Looks like I may not make it there now due to having to head to Canada first. Crossing fingers though. I've always wanted to go there for both summer and winter.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
We need footage of said spanner trying to catch 1 footers.

How to you stop the Vegemite jar sliding around inside the cupboards on the RV?

Trip looks awesome, mucho envious.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys. So NZhumpy thats easy, I always take a tube of Vegemite!!! Anyway here is ep 4. I'm super bummed at the quality I'm getting out of youtube as it looks heaps better on the original. Not sure how to improve it. Anyway it's riding time in this one so I hope you like it.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
That Retallack lodge looks like a wicked spot to spoil yourself rotten.

Thinking there might be a slight variation with the culinary delights for much of the trips remainder.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Nice video. Looks like an awesome place to visit! Looking forward to the next episode.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That Retallack lodge looks like a wicked spot to spoil yourself rotten.

Thinking there might be a slight variation with the culinary delights for much of the trips remainder.
Yep Retallack is amazing. Gnarliest riding I’ve done for sure. Some really steep loose lines. Super fun though. It’s spag bol on the menu for the foreseeable future. That and twinkies.