Upgrading an old fork, and the rest

quannum

Likes Dirt
Hello

Im looking for some advice as to the best way to do an upgrade.

Current bike is a BrandX HT01 running 26” QR wheels. Head tube is tapered. No replaceable dropouts so I can only run QR. I have a super old (must be mid - late 2000s) Fox fork on the front. Current wheels are similar-era Mavic Crosslands in 26.

I want to replace my fork, but should I go with a 27.5 fork with bolt though? If I do, then I think I also need a new front wheel(at least). I haven’t found a conversion kit to get bolt though on the Crosslands. Is there an option of a fork that can do QR and bolt though? I wanted to future proof my purchase as much as possible - but maybe that’s the wrong approach.

I suppose my options are 1) new QR fork, 2) new bolt through fork, wheels and tyres or 3) abandon all hope and get a new bike.

3 isn’t an option today but my eldest is almost the right height for this bike…

Then there’s the question of what fork to get - or at least what to avoid!

If there’s an options I’ve missed, let me know, or help me choose a way forward here! All help appreciated!

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I wanted to future proof my purchase as much as possible - but maybe that’s the wrong approach.

3 isn’t an option today but my eldest is almost the right height for this bike…
Following on from what @ozzybmx said, you're pretty much hunting for a unicorn. Ride it till you can afford something new then pass it on to the eldest. Then it'll be as future proof as the bike industry will ever let it be.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Good point. Current fork is straight but the frame and headset is tapered. I’m running an adaptor.
A 27.5 - tapered - TA fork will be easily found, boost or non boost doesn't really matter as you will need a new front wheel anyway.

There may be a few around as people usually smash the rear.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
It works as well as you’d expect a 10 year old fork to work but isn’t particularly plush.

Restoring the fork is definitely an option, hadn’t really thought of that.
Even a basic lowers service and dust seal replacement would make it feel better than it was.

But hey, this is Rotorburn...new bike time!

quannum

Likes Dirt
just grab a 27.5 tapered fork, then buy a new lower headset cup; isn't that model designed aorund 27.5 anyways?
Lower headset is already tapered. I have an adaptor on the fork so yes - good plan.

The HT01 is a 27.5 model but works okay as a 26. Seems to be a few folks running as a 26.