Upgrade: Wheelset or Drivetrain?

Treating myself to an xmas present. I have a lovely 08 Cannondale F3, used as my daily commute and the weekend blast around Manly Dam. Whats a better value upgrade, a wheelset or a drivetrain?

I have an X7 derailleur and shifters and an older Deore FC-M521 crankset. The wheels are WTB Speed Discs.

I've got about $350 to spend and for the money I can get a nice set of '09 Easton XC One wheels or I can get shiny new XT cranks and X9 shifters and derailleurs.

Word on the street is that the wheelset should always be your first upgrade, plus I'd then have two wheel sets, with one for my road tyres....any thoughts?

Open to any suggestions if anyone knows better ways to part with my cash.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
I'd go with the wheelset. Can't comment on how Easton wheels go but the wheelset will be the better upgrade. Plus it's easier to upgrade a drive train, a derailleur here, a shifter there. Wheels will always be a chunk of cash at once drivetrain can be chopped up into smaller ($$ wise) pieces.

Look at tire choice as well, Tires/rims will have the most noticable difference to the way a bike rides as it's the biggest rotating mass. Do a bit of research though as wheels will make even more of a diffence on a hardtail, too stiff and they will feel harsh over choppy stuff and too noodley is never good too. This is one of the reasons the Crossmax SLRs are so well spoken of, great blend of compliance and stiffness, especially for those on a hardtail. Out of your price range I know, just giving you an example. :)

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Id go SLX cranks over XT, yes there the model below but there is minimal weight difference and the SLX are stiff as anything and supposedly 100% stronger. Im currently using them on my Meta4 (which i was considering Noir cranks, XTR, XT etc but i’m glad i just went with the SLX, cant fault them) But that will save you some cash anyway.
eg: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28020

For wheels there are some decent deals on at the moment for built up sets.. if your after just wheels then you can go past pre made Hope hoops from CRC, wiggle etc.

Id also buy a new chain and new cables for your gears, get it all tuned up and they’ll be fine.

Last edited:

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
I agree with the above suggestions, wheels will make a great difference.

I’m currently using the above mentioned Fulcrum Red Metal 5’s and can’t fault them. Stiff and the hubs spin very nicely. I initially got them for my commuter but have since put them on my duellie I like them so much.

Assuming you don’t have centrelock disks and depending on your weight and riding style, another option I would think is worth looking at are the Hope Pro 2 hubs laced to Stans Crest Rims. They are available from Wiggle for around $365 (Delivered). They are available in 32 spokes compared to the Fulcrum 24 so theoretically should be a little more robust. Bonus is that being a Stans rim, they are tubeless ready should you want to go down that path. Also the Hope hubs are considered great value for money, and perform fantastic. They also give you the option of going to a 15mm or 20mm axle without major issues, whereas the fulcrums & Easton’s you mentioned don’t give you that option.

The hope hubs laced to the stans rims come in around 1560grams. You do however have options on wiggle to select different rims from Mavic & DT Swiss for the same price.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/au/hope-hoops-pro2-front-mtb-wheel/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/au/hope-hoops-pro2-rear-mtb-wheel/

liam92

Squid
One wheelset you might not have thought about would be a Jetblack offering. Their rocket wheelsets are fantastic for the money ($450 - $500ish) they offer the same weight as a Shimano XT wheel with very similar quality, the only difference is they are machine built.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
...the only difference is...
XT are tubeless ready, center lock, utilize loose ball hubs (better in terms of user servicing) and are 24 spoke - seems to be a little more behind them than just 'machine built'. It actually bares the question, have you (OP) considered the SLX wheelset at all?

I've heard mixed reviews on the Jet Black wheel sets with regards to their longevity of free hubs and bearings. Can't really comment personally though.

Mavic CrossRides tend to be a rather popular wheelset as of late - you can get them locally for around $250 which, even with shipping, leaves you enough left over to look at a derailleur or some solid tyres. Yes, perhaps not the greatest wheels around but for that price, I'd certainly take a look.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Some good stuff, Wheels are the way to go. Will continue shopping around for some good deals. Thanks for the wiggle links, hadn't checked them out. Those Hope Hoops look to be awesome based on the reviews.

Haven't looked closely at either the SLX drivetrain stuff or the wheelsets. SLX cranks are getting some sweet write-ups...

Cheers guys.

Last edited:

Exie

Likes Dirt
Just my 2c wroth.

When I looked at having 2 wheelsets, I was warned against it (and didnt listen). The issue been wear of the drive train, I had a different (newer/older) cassette on each wheel set and tried swapping wheels with the same chain etc. It doesn't work very well, the chain wouldn't shift properly and kept skipping all over the place.

The newer cassette never shifted as well as the worn one, apparently the chain/cassette should wear in together. It was very frustrating, in the end I had to swap the cassette over with the wheels which was a pain in the bum.

Ultimately I just went back to 1 wheel set.

0psi

Eats Squid
I've got several wheelsets and don't have an issue with it. Occasionally you may need a twist of a barrel adjuster to get it sweet but that's usually it. If it is a concern, get 2 chains, one for each wheelset. Takes 2 seconds to change with a quick link in there and your cassette and chain will wear together.

Hadn't even thought of that. I just figured I'd get the same cassette (XT on my current wheel) on the new wheel and it wouldn't be an issue.

What about my disc rotors? Avid Juicy 3 (OEM). If new wheelset has new rotor will my brakes complain? Actually the rear brake already vibrates and warbles like a neutered kookaburra and has since day one despite 3 new sets of pads and a new rotor. So thats not going to be an issue!

Another planned upgrade....done with Avids. Hello Formula.

Exie

Likes Dirt
I've got several wheelsets and don't have an issue with it.
Good to hear! Maybe its just me. I had a half worn drive train with a brand new cassette (XTR) and it was horrible. Simply changing the cassette over instantly fixed the problem for me.

PS. I went from Formula to Avid's and haven't looked back! I think there's a bit of luck in getting a good set of brakes and getting them setup well.

0psi

Eats Squid
Yeah if you're gong to have multiple wheelsets it's often a good idea to start with a fresh drivetrain on all components involved. A worn cassette with a fresh chain or vise versa won't work particularly well at the best of times.

liam92

Squid
Sorry, I fully understand the XT wheelset is tubeless ready and prioritise a loose ball hub setup. I was perhaps too general in saying the difference was just machine built. But to the OP by the sounds of what he is doing a tubeless ready wheel isnt probably worth the extra bucks. Centre lock for me wasnt a huge issue as Im an 'avid' fan, so self admittedly I overlooked that as a *benefit* of the shimano XT wheel.

On another note, Ive sold a fair few sets of the rocket wheels and the rocket hubs individually with no complaints. I myself have used a set and have to say for the money they are very good.

XT are tubeless ready, center lock, utilize loose ball hubs (better in terms of user servicing) and are 24 spoke - seems to be a little more behind them than just 'machine built'..

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Just my 2c wroth.

When I looked at having 2 wheelsets, I was warned against it (and didnt listen). The issue been wear of the drive train, I had a different (newer/older) cassette on each wheel set and tried swapping wheels with the same chain etc. It doesn't work very well, the chain wouldn't shift properly and kept skipping all over the place.

The newer cassette never shifted as well as the worn one, apparently the chain/cassette should wear in together. It was very frustrating, in the end I had to swap the cassette over with the wheels which was a pain in the bum.

Ultimately I just went back to 1 wheel set.
Although a pain, I dare say if you could put up with it, chaining a cassette from one wheel to another would take a lot less time than switching over a set of tyres. Since you decided to use your 'road' wheel set as opposed to 'sucking it up' and commuting on your phat off road set, you can probably make up the time easy! :)

Sorry, I fully understand the XT wheelset is tubeless ready and prioritise a loose ball hub setup. I was perhaps too general in saying the difference was just machine built. But to the OP by the sounds of what he is doing a tubeless ready wheel isnt probably worth the extra bucks. Centre lock for me wasnt a huge issue as Im an 'avid' fan, so self admittedly I overlooked that as a *benefit* of the shimano XT wheel.

On another note, Ive sold a fair few sets of the rocket wheels and the rocket hubs individually with no complaints. I myself have used a set and have to say for the money they are very good.
Clarification and pun much appreciated - cheers! :D So I take it not issues with the free hubs?

liam92

Squid
None thus far, there has been a set raced in the club for the last year or so quite competitively with no issues, they're still running smooth (trust it though, they will pack up tomorrow now ive said that!)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
None thus far, there has been a set raced in the club for the last year or so quite competitively with no issues, they're still running smooth (trust it though, they will pack up tomorrow now ive said that!)
Quick! Touch wood!

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Just my 2c wroth.

When I looked at having 2 wheelsets, I was warned against it (and didnt listen). The issue been wear of the drive train, I had a different (newer/older) cassette on each wheel set and tried swapping wheels with the same chain etc. It doesn't work very well, the chain wouldn't shift properly and kept skipping all over the place...
I've two identical wheelsets (both Shimano XT with same rotors and SRAM cassettes, but different tyres) and don't have any problems. And being identical, I don't have to adjust rear derailleur or brake calipers when changing wheels!

Exie

Likes Dirt
Although a pain, I dare say if you could put up with it, chaining a cassette from one wheel to another would take a lot less time than switching over a set of tyres. Since you decided to use your 'road' wheel set as opposed to 'sucking it up' and commuting on your phat off road set, you can probably make up the time easy! :)
True, in the end I decided to flog off the second wheelset, and now I commute on the phats. Since moving out of the CBD, I've got a more off-road track to get to work anyhow! So always commute on knobbies.

I've two identical wheelsets (both Shimano XT with same rotors and SRAM cassettes, but different tyres) and don't have any problems. And being identical, I don't have to adjust rear derailleur or brake calipers when changing wheels!
Thats probably the way to do it, get a fresh new cassette on both with a fresh chain, and it would probably all wear in together.

When I was matching New <-> Old the chain just kept jumping around and it was pretty yuk.