Ultegra Di2 6700 upgrade

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Anyone using it? Considering a 10spd group upgrade for roadie. Only trouble is, all I can find on the net is glowing reviews. I can't find any negative comments. Anyone use it, and if so do you have any negatives to report?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, I've got a mate who also loves his. People are more likely to post reviews on something that is wrong than praise something. The fact that all you can see are glowing reviews indicate to me that it may be the best product ever and you should just get it. :thumb:

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Rode a Madone with it the other day, it was only around the carpark but still I was amazed. If you honestly want to splash that much i couldn't pick anything wrong with it other than the fact it has batteries.

rone

Eats Squid
Having ridden the 6700 Di2 and the 6800 11sp mechanical, I would go the newer none-Di2. The shifting is flawless and the new brake calipers modulate ridiculously well. Pricing is in the same ballpark if you shop around.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
I've worked on a few bikes at work running Di2 (10 spd and 11spd).

Honestly, I can't seem to fault it. Shifting is so precise and effortless. Haven't had any major complaints. It gets cheaper and cheaper by the day too so you can't really go wrong with it.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having ridden the 6700 Di2 and the 6800 11sp mechanical, I would go the newer none-Di2. The shifting is flawless and the new brake calipers modulate ridiculously well. Pricing is in the same ballpark if you shop around.
Yep, I've ridden mech and Di2 in both 6700 and 6800. Mech 6800 is one of the best groupsets ever made. Shifting is ridiculously precise and have really crisp feel and cupping the brake levers gives me a fuzzy feeling they're that good.

Di2 is the shit though. And I'd go 6800 di2 over 6700 despite the difference in price, just for that lever feel.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
But don't I need to buy new shimano wheels aswell because my current 10spd ones won't be compativble with the new 11spd grouppo?
Just brought new wheels last week and really dfon't ewant top have to get new ones just so I can make my new grouppo fit.

scblack

Leucocholic
But don't I need to buy new shimano wheels aswell because my current 10spd ones won't be compativble with the new 11spd grouppo?
Just brought new wheels last week and really dfon't ewant top have to get new ones just so I can make my new grouppo fit.
I'm sorry to rub this in, but I have gone from 10spd Campagnolo Centaur to 11spd Super Record. No need to change wheels, no need to change anything for the swap over.

Campy for the win!

Back on topic I have still not ridden any Di2 or EPS system yet. A good riding mate bought an S-Works last year with EPS Record, but it kept snapping it's front derailleur holder (from memory). So he eventually swapped to 11spd Dura Ace Di2, and is perfectly happy. Personally I'd go the Di2, but plump myself onto the newer system which has an internal battery.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Set up is not as easy as mech. groupo. But the whole hot plug design is heaps better than having to cut wires and re-connect them. The shifting is effortless and after about 3 rides you will stop trying to shift the levers through their normal rather large throw to get a solid gear change. The hoods are a better design than the previous 6700 mech version. Battery life is bullshit amazing and if you are a mountain goat you can get the bar mount clickers.

Just buy it and enjoy!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
What wheels have you bought? (Or did you bring them from somewhere?)

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
I have the 10spd version - moved across from SRAM Red as my new frame was Electronic only. Price wise I couldn't justify the Record EPS I wanted (totally based on looks) as I got the bundle for $900. I love the usual stuff that everyone bangs on about but there are somethings that I'm not totally in love with.

Cons:

Pretty Ugly - the RD is massive and butt ugly, the new version looks almost as good as the Dura Ace so if you're wheels can be converted to a new 11sp freehub with a slight redishing then I would totally go for that.
FD is wide - I have pretty big calves and if I get sloppy I can rub them on the outside of the FD body, depending on your leg size this may or may not be an issue. Newer version looks way more compact.
Control Junction can be hard to place in an aesthetically pleasing location. Its anal I know but it took a long time to find the best location and routing for this little gizmo. The newer control box fixes under the stem, which you will need for the seat post battery as well if you go that upgrade.
Battery - large and in charge depending on its location - if you can spring for the seat post one do it.
Hood Shape is wide and flat - personal preference but I much prefer the ergonomics of SRAM and Campag. Not used the newer hood shape.

I have seen the latest version for less than $1000 (Upgrade kit) using vouchers and would swing you that way if you could get your existing wheels to work. I have read that you can run it with Campag Cassettes fairly effectively but thats just interweb chatter and not rooted in my own personal experience.

Edit - I was trying to give you some cons to work with but in all seriousness there is simply nothing wrong with the performance of this groupset and all the little niggles I have are easily overlooked. Its also nice to know that in the event of a crash I won't have to fork out an arm and a leg to replace any items.

Last edited: