uhhh ohhhhh

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Another little NE Tassie shit fight just popped up on my fakebook feed.
It may be that World Trail could have asked Vertigo for some bike traffic to bed the trails in and they obliged after submitting hygiene and safety plans to BOD council. This has angered St Helens MTB community and new local shuttle operators.
I can understand that bedding in of the trails is needed and will make for a nicer network on opening day but BODC should probably have made the announcement to all involved.

nathanm

Eats Squid
So I first met Buck many, many moons ago when I was racing and helping to run the state DH series. at this stage he was running shuttles of Juggernaut and just trying to make a go of mtb shuttles etc in Tassie, which he was pretty much the first to do.
He then took his business to Derby, pretty much the first to do so, and made it a sucess and has continuted to expand and really lead the market down there.
Over time there has been a plethora of business springing up there replicating his success, which is fine, the area needs it.

However I still see Buck and his crew as the pioneer's, he has always employed and helped local and has made sure he has stayed ahead of the game, instead of being content to just sit back and rest on his laurels (sp?)

If someone is going to get first crack at anything up there is should be Vertigo, they've earned it. I'm sure all the other business up there will piss and moan and cry about why they don't get the same opportunities but at the end of the day they've all just moved in when the hard work was already done and are simply riding on the coat tails of the business' that have come before them.

IMO they need to pay their due's. Who cares who rolls on a track first? If these new companies do something new and innovative then sure they can earn some respect, but just moving in and copying what has been done before means you are owed nothing.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
If these new companies do something new and innovative then sure they can earn some respect, but just moving in and copying what has been done before means you are owed nothing.
Isn't Buck giving the Evolution guys some grief over their shuttle operation? Seems using a Polaris is new and innovative.....

nathanm

Eats Squid
Isn't Buck giving the Evolution guys some grief over their shuttle operation? Seems using a Polaris is new and innovative.....
I don't personally know. I haven't really kept up with the intricate goings on up there. Personally any business that rocked up to take my slice of the pie, I wouldn't extend any politeness too.

Keep in mind Buck and Vertigo have turned plenty of soil and continue to do so, have provided free shuttles at local and state comps and helped out the local clubs, riders etc massively.

Where are Evolution from? Have they dug any trail or done anything to advance Tasmanian biking or riders?

i don't see using a polaris as unique, it's just another type of car, just with smaller capacity. Does using that type of vehicle cut done on shuttle traffic, damage to roads etc? (legit question as I don't know)

Now if someone wants to rock up with helicopter shuttles then that would be unique.

ozzybmx

The Polaris (×3) can do 'internal' shuttles, you can get your first to Black Stump then all the rest can be from the Devil Wolf junction (where you cross the river) to save you coming back into town.
Evo Mtb is owned by the same people who own the 3 x Derby Lodge accomodation buildings and the guys who run Evo Mtb are the 2 who own Trailhead food co.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
The Polaris (×3) can do 'internal' shuttles, you can get your first to Black Stump then all the rest can be from the Devil Wolf junction (where you cross the river) to save you coming back into town.
Evo Mtb is owned by the same people who own the 3 x Derby Lodge accomodation buildings and the guys who run Evo Mtb are the 2 who own Trailhead food co.
I'd say that's contributing a fair bit to Derby as a whole.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
FFS.
What a storm in a tea cup.
Sounds like my 3 and 6 year old fighting about who gets into the car first.
So I first met Buck many, many moons ago when I was racing and helping to run the state DH series. at this stage he was running shuttles of Juggernaut and just trying to make a go of mtb shuttles etc in Tassie, which he was pretty much the first to do.
He then took his business to Derby, pretty much the first to do so, and made it a sucess and has continuted to expand and really lead the market down there.
Over time there has been a plethora of business springing up there replicating his success, which is fine, the area needs it.

However I still see Buck and his crew as the pioneer's, he has always employed and helped local and has made sure he has stayed ahead of the game, instead of being content to just sit back and rest on his laurels (sp?)

If someone is going to get first crack at anything up there is should be Vertigo, they've earned it. I'm sure all the other business up there will piss and moan and cry about why they don't get the same opportunities but at the end of the day they've all just moved in when the hard work was already done and are simply riding on the coat tails of the business' that have come before them.

IMO they need to pay their due's. Who cares who rolls on a track first? If these new companies do something new and innovative then sure they can earn some respect, but just moving in and copying what has been done before means you are owed nothing.
In isolation the current dummy spit looks trivial & petty. But from what I've heard the other operators who came second, & are doing the complaining, are actually complaining about a broader trend. They are sick & tired of a systematic pattern of behaviour - not just this specific issue.
I've heard around the traps that the aforementioned King of Derby goes a bit further than just being competitive and "in-the-know".
(I know, rumours & 4th hand whispers are not to be trusted...but.....where there's smoke, there is often fire...)
He has been praised & recognised many times for the part he has played in setting up BD. No-one disagrees with his contribution. But the place has evolved. And it will continue to grow.
Just because you helped build the sand-pit (with tax payers money) doesn't mean the other kids can't inevitably play in it too.

For him to think that robust competition was never going to arrive is at best naive and immature, and at worst delusional/despotic.

Lets remember that the other operators riding his coat-tails have all borrowed money & made sacrifices to set up their "inferior" businesses too.
They are not cynically grabbing "spare" business from The Hero of the Day. They are promoting the Derby experience too. I'm sure Vertigo has benefitted from countless punters who turned up with the intention of using one of the "others" and for whatever reason ended up on a Vertigo bus.
Why should other operators have to cosy-up to council members just to get fair & transparent information? Since when do we accept that as given business practise in Australia? (don't answer that!)

The owner/operator of Evolution put his whole life (and young family) on the line and took a punt on Derby because he was captivated by the place. He could not be more committed. Sure he wasn't there in the earliest days, but I bet if you asked him if he would have wanted to, he'd say, Absolutely!

ozzybmx

In isolation the current dummy spit looks trivial & petty. But from what I've heard the other operators who came second, & are doing the complaining, are actually complaining about a broader trend. They are sick & tired of a systematic pattern of behaviour - not just this specific issue.
I've heard around the traps that the aforementioned King of Derby goes a bit further than just being competitive and "in-the-know".
(I know, rumours & 4th hand whispers are not to be trusted...but.....where there's smoke, there is often fire...)
He has been praised & recognised many times for the part he has played in setting up BD. No-one disagrees with his contribution. But the place has evolved. And it will continue to grow.
Just because you helped build the sand-pit (with tax payers money) doesn't mean the other kids can't inevitably play in it too.

For him to think that robust competition was never going to arrive is at best naive and immature, and at worst delusional/despotic.

Lets remember that the other operators riding his coat-tails have all borrowed money & made sacrifices to set up their "inferior" businesses too.
They are not cynically grabbing "spare" business from The Hero of the Day. They are promoting the Derby experience too. I'm sure Vertigo has benefitted from countless punters who turned up with the intention of using one of the "others" and for whatever reason ended up on a Vertigo bus.
Why should other operators have to cosy-up to council members just to get fair & transparent information? Since when do we accept that as given business practise in Australia? (don't answer that!)

The owner/operator of Evolution put his whole life (and young family) on the line and took a punt on Derby because he was captivated by the place. He could not be more committed. Sure he wasn't there in the earliest days, but I bet if you asked him if he would have wanted to, he'd say, Absolutely!
100%, the post of the year !

ozzybmx

No one is taking away from the fact the Buck was one of the ones who got Derby up and running (with tax payers cash), he has been credited with it many times. His attitude towards businesses which were in Derby/Branxholm/Weldborough before he arrived and ones who arrived after him sucks !

binner

Hath shat hymself
I've used them all, Buck the very first year the trails opened and a few other times. I've used MAD MTB and I've spent money at Vertigo shop, the now vertigo owned cafe. I've dropped a lot of coin at Evolution for new pedals etc , top shop in my opinion. Hell, I even waited out the Federal pub to "maybe"open and try to get a beer. I've been to the Dorset when it was the old owners and also been there with the new owners. Geebus, I even bought someting at the post office, I never visit a post office unless ive sold something on Farkin :p;) Every time I'm down Derby way I try to spread my spending around the town. I like to stay outside of Derby and get to have a chinwag with real locals, and catch up on the real news ;-)

It's hard to sit on the fence but when you read stories like I posted and you have a bit of local insight from townfolk its hard not to think something fishy is going on.

I wasn't aware that Buck dug dirt for Derby, I thought it was all Glenn Jacobs and WT. I did one time see Buck come out of the woods with a long handled shovel at the bottom of chook, but i just thought he was being a good guy and burying his dump, he musta been trail fairying it up.....

At the end of the day, its a town with business trying to make a living, some doing a sea change, some maybe seeing a quick Buck (no pun intended) some thinking this could be great for every one...... we, the riders just want to go to ride sweet trails and come away with cheesy grins at the end of.

My intention in the 1st post wasn't to create a shit fight, it was more of a "ohhh, that's interesting that this made it to the local paper, not such a sleepy town anymore i guess.

binner

Hath shat hymself
if you (I) were smart and wanting a sea change , I would be looking at St Helens business ventures, the local council are asking for EOI's

looks at Clockworked ;)