Product Review Uberbike Components Fatgrip, lock on grips.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Item: Uberbike Components, Fatgrip lock on grips.

Purchased From:
https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-Fatgrip-150mm-Lock-On-Grips-Grip-Builder

Purchase Price (approx):
$15 AUD. Depending on other items in the basket and if you have to include postage.

Usage:
Riding...

Pros - Large hand area, soft grip, big range of colour grips and lock rings. Can mix and match a lot of different colours. Cheap.
Cons - Large hand area.

Comments: I've purchased these recently with a few other bits and pieces from Uberbike Components (rotors, brake pads, gear cable set, narrow wide ring). The shipping is reasonable and free once you get to £80.

I ordered the red grips with gunmetal rings and the quality looks good and everything went together easily and there's no play between the grip and the lock on rings like I've had in the past with some products. They use a 3mm Allen key head for the lock on bolts as well which is good.

If you like large diameter grips, then these are for you! I've run ODI Rogue and Lizard Skin North Shore grips in the past and these are noticeably thicker. They claim a 35mm thickness, but I haven't measured these. The only negative with these would be that they take up some extra real estate on the handle bars and could be a problem if you have smaller hands trying to get the controls close enough to the outer ends of the bars. They are 150mm wide, instead of the more common 130mm for a lot of other brands. I found that using them, the extra 20mm was just wasted space, as you'll see in the photo below, but it could be handy if you've got really wide hands.

In terms of feel, they are really comfortable and a fair bit softer than the Lizard Skins and just a little softer than the Rogues. The half waffle design is not quite as grippy as the Rogues pattern, but I always ride with gloves and haven't had any issues hanging on so far (no real epic or wet rides yet though, I probably average 18ish K's per ride, give or take).

They also come with end plugs that are just rubber plugs that push into the end of the bars. They didn't fit all that snugly, but they haven't came out just yet.

I would recommend these if you're looking for a fat grip for a good price. Not quite sure if I'll get another set just yet, time will tell.

Pictures/Videos:
grips.jpg

grip width.jpg

13-07-17, KP153 youies ground.jpg

notime

Likes Dirt
Thanks for bringing this product to my attention. Always looking for bigger grips, I have plenty of wasted real estate on my bars I can fill with more grip, especially on the single speed.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Nice review. I was on the hunt for new grips recently in a large diameter. Ended up with the ODI Elite Pros, but they're only 32mm in diameter. Might have to give these a go next, although the 150mm width is a bit of a turn-off.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice review. I was on the hunt for new grips recently in a large diameter. Ended up with the ODI Elite Pros, but they're only 32mm in diameter. Might have to give these a go next, although the 150mm width is a bit of a turn-off.
what about oury's they are about 35mm I think

BT180

Max Pfaff
what about oury's they are about 35mm I think
Yeah I had thought of those. Previously ran Rogue's on my last bike and they're similar to Oury's. Might go back to those or the Oury's when the Elite pros die. They're pretty good, but I do feel the need for something a bit bigger.