Tyre inserts - Tried them yet?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
How is it better?
Can’t speak to comparisons directly as I haven’t used either Cush or Procore, but Rimpact is very good. Plenty of sidewall support (particularly with the Pro dual density version) quite light weight and very easy to install. Hasn’t stretched, and doesn’t absorb sealant. Thumbs up.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
How is it better?
The procore is an even bigger proprietry pain in the ass then cushcore so I'll dismiss that immediately.

The regular rimpact is less than half the weight of cushcore pro, even the rimpact pro is half the weight. Much easier to install and uninstall in a emergency. Holds the bead to rim even when flat, similar to cushcore. The regular rimpact has less damping and the rimpact pro has arguably more damping. Finally it's cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The procore is an even bigger proprietry pain in the ass then cushcore so I'll dismiss that immediately.

The regular rimpact is less than half the weight of cushcore pro, even the rimpact pro is half the weight. Much easier to install and uninstall in a emergency. Holds the bead to rim even when flat, similar to cushcore. The regular rimpact has less damping and the rimpact pro has arguably more damping. Finally it's cheaper.

Concise.

teK--

Eats Squid

cool thanks

cushcore pro 250g. rimpact pro is 150g

After using huck norris I am rather dubious of anything that just has a standard flat shape.

Was reading the patent for cushcore and they put a lot of thought into how the insert sits deep in the rimbed pressing up against the bead.

tbh after the first time I fit one, it is no longer an issue as you learn the technique. weight on the other hand, is something that would be good to reduce. (Considered using a standard xc cushcore at one point)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Is that for the same wheelsize? I had it in my head that 29er cushcore pro was pushing 300gms. Also there was some wrinkle where rimpact pro would go up to 2.6 whereas cushcore pro topped out at 2.5 unless you went to the + model.

moorey

call me Mia
Bicycles Online have the Tannus Tubeless Armour for $73 -

Not everyone needs tyre inserts. I don’t need them. I choose poor lines on rocky tracks. Felix doesn’t run them. He rides hard on the same tracks. He’ll cut a tyre occasionally, not somewhere an insert would protect.
Not saying don’t get them, just asking if you need them. They do have down sides.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Not everyone needs tyre inserts. I don’t need them. I choose poor lines on rocky tracks. Felix doesn’t run them. He rides hard on the same tracks. He’ll cut a tyre occasionally, not somewhere an insert would protect.
Not saying don’t get them, just asking if you need them. They do have down sides.
To be honest, on my last ride, I lowered my rear tyre pressure and didn't rim strike - I think I used my legs a bit more and didn't get tired and sit on the seat.

PJO

in me vL comy
I definitely need them, but only in the rear, think you are more likely to need them on a hard tail. I counted half a dozen flat spots on my last rear rim, probably most of those were from Maydena. At least none of them were big enough to burp a tyre...

moorey

call me Mia
I definitely need them, but only in the rear, think you are more likely to need them on a hard tail. I counted half a dozen flat spots on my last rear rim, probably most of those were from Maydena. At least none of them were big enough to burp a tyre...
Absolutely. Some people need them. Particularly those with a penchant for lower pressures. I run on the safe side, and like soft compounds and strong casings.
I’d add a ‘why not both’, but Dale would delete the post and kick his dog.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Absolutely. Some people need them. Particularly those with a penchant for lower pressures. I run on the safe side, and like soft compounds and strong casings.
I’d add a ‘why not both’, but Dale would delete the post and kick his dog.
Agree with all of this except it is the neighbour's dog.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
So... I tried Cushcore and felt like it wasn't for me. It added a lot of weight and I didn't really feel the damping effect that others feel. Basically, for someone who is reasonably light (72kg) and not ploughing rock gardens 24/7 the weight negative outweighed any potential positive of saving a rim on the rare occasion I clang into a rock or case a jump super-harsh.

I then bought a Rimpact because they get good reviews and weight penalty is minor (just 95gm for 29er). The have a similar approach to cushcore in how they fit and work. The only knock on them I have heard is that they are not quite as robust (in original form) and don't offer quite the same level of damping as Cushcore.

I've been running it for a while now and I like it. Still can't really feel the damping effect but they give me confidence the rim is protected and I could ride out if I got a flat. For me, that's worth 95gm.

Then today they paid for themselves. I came up short on a big step-down gap this morning and audibly thumped my rear wheel into the small log at the edge of the transition. I honestly figured I must have cracked the rim given the speed I was going (not quite fast enough as it turns out) and the fact it was a log at the edge of the transition I cased rather than dirt.

I stoped to inspect and it turns out the wheel is fine. No crack. Not event a wobble. I'll check spoke tension later but for now it seems to be running straight and smooth. So call me a convert. Rimpact all the way.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So... I tried Cushcore and felt like it wasn't for me. It added a lot of weight and I didn't really feel the damping effect that others feel. Basically, for someone who is reasonably light (72kg) and not ploughing rock gardens 24/7 the weight negative outweighed any potential positive of saving a rim on the rare occasion I clang into a rock or case a jump super-harsh.

I then bought a Rimpact because they get good reviews and weight penalty is minor (just 95gm for 29er). The have a similar approach to cushcore in how they fit and work. The only knock on them I have heard is that they are not quite as robust (in original form) and don't offer quite the same level of damping as Cushcore.

I've been running it for a while now and I like it. Still can't really feel the damping effect but they give me confidence the rim is protected and I could ride out if I got a flat. For me, that's worth 95gm.

Then today they paid for themselves. I came up short on a big step-down gap this morning and audibly thumped my rear wheel into the small log at the edge of the transition. I honestly figured I must have cracked the rim given the speed I was going (not quite fast enough as it turns out) and the fact it was a log at the edge of the transition I cased rather than dirt.

I stoped to inspect and it turns out the wheel is fine. No crack. Not event a wobble. I'll check spoke tension later but for now it seems to be running straight and smooth. So call me a convert. Rimpact all the way.
Oh to only be 72kg! Imaging only hearing that noise if you case stuff, instead of just general riding through rockgardens. lol

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

I'm running an ARD. It's fine but it stretches a lot so last tyre change I had to cut an inch off. I like the look of the rimpact. Easy enough to fit?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'm running an ARD. It's fine but it stretches a lot so last tyre change I had to cut an inch off. I like the look of the rimpact. Easy enough to fit?
Super easy. (30mm int. DT rims, 2.4" Dissector EXO)

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
It was easier to fit than the Cushcore. I haven't tried others such as the ARD but I assume it may be slightly more difficult than them. It is the same principle as the Cushcore. It sits in the rim bed and is quite broad so that it pushes against with sidewalls of the bottom third of the tyre.

There is a technique that is quite well detailed on the Cushcore site for interesting those and I used the same approach from Rimpact. You basically work your way around slowly pushing the tyre bead into the centre channel of the rim on the first side then flip if over and slowly work your way around the second side doing the same thing.

As the Rimpact is slightly less 'dense' than the Cushcore, it takes less force but is still a process.

I haven't changed a tyre yet so not sure it it will have stretched but feedback seems to be that they don't stretch like the ARD.

EDIT: while I was writing an essay, @leitch beat me to it...