Turning an old 26" bike into a gravel grinder

nathanm

Eats Squid
Is it worth the time and effort?

i've got a bunch of frames and drivetrains and stuff and would really love a gravel bike so has anyone undertaken such a project and can discuss the pros and cons?

I know next to nothing about road bikes and I'm guessing the biggest issues will be the price of the fork, wheels and levers??

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Is it worth the time and effort?

i've got a bunch of frames and drivetrains and stuff and would really love a gravel bike so has anyone undertaken such a project and can discuss the pros and cons?

I know next to nothing about road bikes and I'm guessing the biggest issues will be the price of the fork, wheels and levers??
Yep. Done it on two bikes.

I started off using a cheap, AliExpress road groupset on slightly flared drop bars.
The groupset came with levers, shift cable (for one by), derailleur, cassette and maybe even the chain. I paired it with short pull road mech disc brakes.

NGL, I hated the drops. Sold the lot and used some alt bars with my old trusty 1x10 MTB gear and hydro brakes!

I use Surly moloko bars and I love them. Hubby has clone Surly corner bars. The corner bars are relatively close to the ergonomics of drop bars but are designed to use flat bar (MTB) brake levers and shifters.

Labcanary

Oh yeah, is it worth the effort? In my opinion, it is. Especially if you can do it with most of what you have and it keeps a nice old bike up and running.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Yep. Done it on two bikes.

I started off using a cheap, AliExpress road groupset on slightly flared drop bars.
The groupset came with levers, shift cable (for one by), derailleur, cassette and maybe even the chain. I paired it with short pull road mech disc brakes.

NGL, I hated the drops. Sold the lot and used some alt bars with my old trusty 1x10 MTB gear and hydro brakes!

I use Surly moloko bars and I love them. Hubby has clone Surly corner bars. The corner bars are relatively close to the ergonomics of drop bars but are designed to use flat bar (MTB) brake levers and shifters.
got any pics, would be keen to see the set up.

Stupid question but do 700cc wheels fit ok in old frames?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

Some yes, some no. My On One Inbred had shit clearance at the rear but have seen others with heaps.
If you need a fork I have a Surly that I’m thinking of moving on.

Labcanary

My OG monster cross, Banshee Viento with drops, mech levers and Microshift bar end shifter. The bar end shifter was sketchy AF to use.
IMG_20230226_112125_087.jpg

The next iteration, Orange Gringo with AliExpress groupset.
IMG_20230226_112130_413.jpg

Mr Canary's On One 456 Evo with pseudo-corner bars and he's using a bar clamp Microshift shifter (Shimano 10sp compatible)
IMG_20230226_112137_905.jpg

Now he's got full Microshift Advent X drivetrain.

I'll see if I can get some more recent photos. These are fairly old now.

PJO

in me vL comy
Stupid question but do 700cc wheels fit ok in old frames
Yes they do but only if your frame and fork fit a decent size tyre and even then you will be limited for tyre size.
A 26" x 2.4" (61mm) tyre is roughly the same diameter as a 700c x 30mm, which is roughly the same as a 650B x 50mm tyre.

Bead seat diameters for the three rims are:
26" = 559mm
650B/27.5" = 584mm
700C/29" = 622mm
You can work it out from that.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Geez mate you are cutting if fine for the Devils Cardigan, it's this weekend!! ;)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Built up an older Cell bikes steel hardtail with an older Nukeproof rigid up front, Ultegra 8020 groupset (i dont recommend road cranks on a 73mm bb though, learnt that the hard way). 26 x 2.4 high rollers, total overkill for gravel.

That's not gravel! I think you've just invented a new category - "pebble bikes". :p