Tubes vs Tubeless

Do you use tubes or tubeless on your main MTB?

• Total voters

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I've been using them for 2 years now without a single puncture or problem. Single best thing I've ever bought.
find them cheaper than 40, i like latex tubes, almost no mtb though -nearly all for 23-25 roadie tyres, very light & don’t pinch flat like butyl tyres

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
You lost me at ‘tube’
it’s that thing i was wearing whilst visiting your house today, to avoid catching the new mutation of the sars-cov2 virus, apparently the ballarat-sebas strain (BS for short) is a particularly FERAL strain, symptoms including buying/driving a hilux and a propensity to steal cars & dump them in the bush

moorey

call me Mia
it’s that thing i was wearing whilst visiting your house today, to avoid catching the new mutation of the sars-cov2 virus, apparently the ballarat-sebas strain (BS for short) is a particularly FERAL strain, symptoms including buying/driving a hilux and a propensity to steal cars & dump them in the bush
I was hoping you’d wear a boob tube...

Coopz

Likes Dirt
I'll curse myself and say I've never had a mtb puncture. I converted my older xc hardtail to tubeless but saw no difference. I dont run low (sub 25) pressures either. Bikes too hard to pedal uphill.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tannus now has a tubeless option. I like their armor product that runs tubes and I am keen to give this a go next.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I got a very quick answer as to whether these tyres will run tubeless, got a bit of air on the little bump just inside the gate at Stromlo, game over.
In my experience:

Tubeless tyre + non-tubless rim = Yep
Non-tubeless tyre + tubeless rim = Yep
Non-tubeless tyre + non-tubeless rim + NOPE

Scotty T

Walks the walk
In my experience:

Tubeless tyre + non-tubless rim = Yep
Non-tubeless tyre + tubeless rim = Yep
Non-tubeless tyre + non-tubeless rim + NOPE
Modern non tubeless tyre and rim can work with a rim strip, but only if the tyre is tight. I have one that's going perfectly, but had another of the same tyre that was on a wider rim before and wouldn't take.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
I'm up for new tyres and have been running tubeless since the last set went on. It's been a while as i had a hardtail that got preferential treatment so the tyres on it are well past it....
My question is, does the latex go off and offer no protection after a while? should i go back to tubes if it's not getting ridden as often as it should?

Luckily i've only had a few punctures but i'm fine with replacing a tube on a trail, i like the convenience of tubeless, especially if it seals up a puncture or tear but if the old latex won't do that i'd rather have tubes than have to top up (how often?) before riding to make them workable