Tubes vs Tubeless

Do you use tubes or tubeless on your main MTB?

• Total voters

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I've been tubeless since my first ghetto set-up on a cheap-arse department store bike. Will never ever go back on account of the puncture resistance.

Having said that, Mr Club President, who is fastest in the club, uses tubes. Although I think it's more from a lack of mechanical aptitude.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DH bikes are a different beast when it comes to the whole tubes/tubeless debate. Ask that same question on general trails and it'll move much more towards tubeless.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I still run tubes on my XC bike, only ever had one puncture while actually off-road. But that involved smashing my rear wheel at the same time.
Trail bike runs tubeless, to be honest only because it came that way off the shop floor.

Have thought about converting the XC bike, just haven't seen enough benefit to warrant the effort at this stage.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Cant remember the last time I had a MTB puncture, been a long time thanks to tubeless.

Road, not so good, percivered for 3 years now and starting to think it's a waste of time and expensive tyres. A little bit of glass and ~80psi won't seal till the tyre gets to about ~30psi... ahhhhhh just about MTB pressure.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Tubes in my non-mtbs. The only mtb I run tubes is on my XC bike because it doesn't get ridden much. It's got 19c rims but RB rekons she'll be right to go tubeless so I'm giving it a shot soon.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Grip for days without pinch flats. For off road I'll never go back, and considering converting my old (and very old) mtbs that I hardly ever ride. Haven't had a pinch flat (or any flat, even gashing the tyre ~4mm it sealed up) in nearly 4 years. Had several a year before tubeless.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
A roadie friend of mine at work is still very anti-tubeless. He is 95% roadie but has a MTB and a Fat bike and all of them are on tubes and nothing I can say seems to work...

I cant even imagine tubes on my bikes, even on the roadie. Although I put tubes in Kirsty's new bike, but that will see simple bike path duty to work and back.

I'm sticking with tubeless on the roadie. 3000kms or so and only ever needed a roadside tube once.

PJO

in me vL comy
Definitely this:
Cant remember the last time I had a MTB puncture, been a long time thanks to tubeless.
and because I didn't type it, means the bad juju karma doesn't apply (doesn't apply anyway when you're a statistician we don't believe in that shit)

And also this!!!
Grip for days without pinch flats...
I've even been toying with the idea of some sort of inserts but still can't bring myself to add more weight to my wheels seems counter intuitive...
I'm skeptical even if PVD isn't: [linky]

Still use tubes on the road bike though...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm still on tubes out of habit but had assumed I was a bit of an outcast and the overwhelming majority would be on tubeless.

Are many on here still riding tubes? Why?
Gee, that is an almost disturbing statistic from Pinkbike but it is DH thing so that might explains part of it. I have tubes in the Heckler and haven't had a flat for a few years and don't need 20psi traction so couldn't see the need. I will go back to my dark corner away from the cool kids now.

Tire Setup Opening Day 2019:
Tubeless 50.93%
Tubes 49.07%

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was on tubes up until just recently, made the switch by converting non-tubeless Giant PXC-2 rims with Stans tape.

Dunno if it's placebo, but the bike certainly seems to ride/grip better, no regrets.