Tubeless setup

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Cuss it. Yep.
You tried it? Sticky shit like gorilla? Pass if so.
Yeah I had the same moment of elation, then ongoing bitter disappointment. I just part-peeled one open at Bunnings so I didn't have to lay down my cash in vain! :p I also bought about 6 rolls of the good Bear stuff online shortly afterwards from some random industrial supplies mob, I wanted to make sure if COVID got out of control I could still ride tubeless during the apocalypse dammit!

moorey

call me Mia
Hope DH rims are really hard to get tape to stick to. I usually have to rough them up with sandpaper. Might try it on those before resigning it to dad present wrapping duties.

shanno89

Likes Dirt
Has anyone used this stuff?
I've been struggling to get the Joe's tubeless tape to stick to my carbon rims, so I though I'd get this to try.

beeb

Same as per @moorey's post.

Just don't pull it so tight the little ribs start to stretch. On a couple of more complexly shaped rims it did start to crack after a year or so (looked like a slight breakdown of the plastic caused by the sealant), but I'd double-taped the rim anyway so it still mostly held air. It had just got to the point it needed a weekly top-up of air so I re-taped it. It was also easy to remove and didn't bond to or etch into the aluminium rim like some tapes like to.

moorey

call me Mia
Open it please! It's more of a cloth type tape that one isn't it?
Used some tonight....on top of other tape. Hope rims are like Teflon. Getting tape to stick to them if the biggest challenge....though getting this off looks as messy as gorilla, so the tape under is a buffer. Might fail spectacularly.

moorey

call me Mia
(Ignore if I'm the last to discover)
Maybe it was just here, but the 26mm Bear outdoor masking tape disappeared from Bunnings a while ago. It used to be my go-to, but found other options when it vanished from the shelves.
Just noticed it’s back, and now 36mm wide.
Too wide for some uses. Easily trimmed down. Better than the 26mm that I needed to stagger to get proper coverage on wider rims.

beeb

(Ignore if I'm the last to discover)
Maybe it was just here, but the 26mm Bear outdoor masking tape disappeared from Bunnings a while ago. It used to be my go-to, but found other options when it vanished from the shelves.
Just noticed it’s back, and now 36mm wide.
Too wide for some uses. Easily trimmed down. Better than the 26mm that I needed to stagger to get proper coverage on wider rims. View attachment 388505
It is the same though? Yes, I grant you it is tape, and blue - but is it that same thin very slightly stretchy stuff as before? Blue on top and white where the adhesive is?

I looked at that stuff a while back but it appeared to be quite a bit thicker, possibly containing some kind of cloth reinforcing IIRC?

moorey

call me Mia
It is the same though? Yes, I grant you it is tape, and blue - but is it that same thin very slightly stretchy stuff as before? Blue on top and white where the adhesive is?

I looked at that stuff a while back but it appeared to be quite a bit thicker, possibly containing some kind of cloth reinforcing IIRC?
Yeah, cloth, unlike the previous plastic stuff. I’m yet to use, but more like the stuff I’ve been using lately.
It’s cheaper than the 3m I had stocked up on, but am having trouble finding now also.
It’s thinner than Gorilla or regular gaffer tape, and I’m hoping it’s easier to apply and remove.
Guess I should try it before opening my big mouth…for once. :p

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

I've used it for a while and it works great.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk