Tubeless is great but is there a primer for rubber patches ?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Some wheels just require tubes.
Often wondered as I endlessly sand the rubber prior to a patch , is there a primer to slightly etch rubber rather than use sandpaper?

moorey

call me Mia
Some wheels just require tubes.
Often wondered as I endlessly sand the rubber prior to a patch , is there a primer to slightly etch rubber rather than use sandpaper?
I don’t know of one, but I’ve never had the rubber glue fail on a patch if let to dry properly before fitting the patch. What issue are you having?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Just thinking maybe there is a better way as I put on my 1000th patch.
I understand that 1000 is perhaps an exaggeration but what kind of flats are you getting, would you benefit from thornproof tubes or a Mr. Tuffy style tyre liner. I have even heard of people using tubeless sealant inside tubes with some success.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I understand that 1000 is perhaps an exaggeration but what kind of flats are you getting, would you benefit from thornproof tubes or a Mr. Tuffy style tyre liner. I have even heard of people using tubeless sealant inside tubes with some success.
Not pr-ecisely 1000 [ the cat climbed on the keyboard and typed a space ] but it seems like it since i have been seriously riding for 50 years.
We have 12 bikes between us and only some are tubeless. I dont get heaps of punctures just ride alot .
When we went to the Flinders Ranges riding in 1996 we used thorn proof tubes and Mr tuffys for the Caltrop which has to be the worst thorn ever.?
I was sanding a tube today and thought there might be a rubber primer that would work for repairs.
BTW has anyone used the Gaadi tubes which have 2 blind ends like a horseshoe so you can change a tube without taking off the wheel ?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Yep, sealant in a tube works. Sealant in a thorn resistant tube works betterer. For a tube Slime is the best. It's what most of my clients go for.

We have calthrop/goats head/three corner jack bloody everywhere around here. Grows in between the grape vines and the picking tractors and bin trucks spread it.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep, sealant in a tube works. Sealant in a thorn resistant tube works betterer. For a tube Slime is the best. It's what most of my clients go for.

We have calthrop/goats head/three corner jack bloody everywhere around here. Grows in between the grape vines and the picking tractors and bin trucks spread it.
Yeah I got some Caltrop on my land from the tyres of a hay delivery truck .
Its all in 1 strip and grows like a maniac in summer and very drought resistant.
Gradually it is declining by pulling the plants with seeds and spraying the small ones.
The worst thorn ever.
The Gaadi tubes leave a slight unevenness in the tyre but good for the rear hub motor of an electric bike where it is an epic to remove the wheel.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah I got some Caltrop on my land from the tyres of a hay delivery truck .
Its all in 1 strip and grows like a maniac in summer and very drought resistant.
Gradually it is declining by pulling the plants with seeds and spraying the small ones.
The worst thorn ever.
The Gaadi tubes leave a slight unevenness in the tyre but good for the rear hub motor of an electric bike where it is an epic to remove the wheel.
I haven't used the split tubes myself but I have heard that you end up with a lump where they join.

These have been on my 'to get list' for a while but too many other expenses ATM, but has anyone tried these tubes before?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
has anyone tried these tubes before?
Yes, quite a few years back in 29" and 700c CX. Comes with a sticky strip to hold them in place so the don't slip around the rim, special patches that go on the non stretchy tube. Valves with no thread that rattle, was not impressed. Expensive too. Reckon I still have a couple here.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yes, quite a few years back in 29" and 700c CX. Comes with a sticky strip to hold them in place so the don't slip around the rim, special patches that go on the non stretchy tube. Valves with no thread that rattle, was not impressed. Expensive too. Reckon I still have a couple here.
Ok, did you get many punctures with it, though?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Might try it but can you avoid a lump of latex when it goes off ?
When I say 'works' it'll get you out of trouble, but dedicated tube sealant is best. Muc-off makes one very similar to Slime, the bottle is more expensive, but there's more doses in it