XC Tropical hardcore hardtail

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hang on...weren't you looking at new wheels ages ago?
Yes, but I spent my money on a bike stand, tools and consumables. I figured it was better to learn how to maintain my bike than make it nicer!
Sorry Hambo, I stalked your posts. I spent all day doing a bloody boring First Aid course for the 50th time, it only took me 10 minutes of my shitty day to collect you some clangers :p

Hardly the bike of Theseus is it, here's loads left of the original bike!

Frame, fork, stem, headset, brakes, drivetrain, wheels..
Frame
I bought a new bike and then swapped the frame and all the parts from the old Ragley 2020 Big Al.
Fork
I'd like a better fork
Stem
Shorter stem it is then!
Brakes
I only have MT400 levers too. New brakes time..
Drivetrain
I think I'll wait for pre-COVID levels of supply before embarking on any meaningful drivetrain upgrade.
Wheels
I'm budgeting $700 for a new set of wheels - Hunt Trail Wide are top of the list so far!
Finally...
Maybe I'll buy a truing machine after I get the wheels and after I buy a work stand, and tools, and a new fork, and new brakes, and a new bike..

Last edited:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Sorry Hambo, I stalked your posts. I spent all day doing a bloody boring First Aid course for the 50th time, it only took me 10 minutes of my shitty day to collect you some clangers :p

Frame

Fork

Stem

Brakes

Drivetrain

Wheels

Finally...
Top GooGling

Fred Nurk

No custom title here

Frame

Fork

Stem

Brakes

Drivetrain

Wheels

Finally...
That's probably not including the biggest clanger...

Yup, it's like people that do renovations the minute they step foot into a house. Unless it's falling down around your ears, live in it a while and work out what changes will make a real difference.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well done on cable laying 2.0!

It never hurts to clean out the shifter. I love grease and I put it almost everywhere...I can't recall ever putting it in a shifter. I've sprayed inbox and silicone in there.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A shifter isn't sealed to the elements. Do not overgrease it, all that dust will stick to the grease and if it gets into the mechanism it will be like filling it with grinding paste. Shifters have little grease, leave it as it is. Wipe off the dust. If you douse it in isopropyl alcohol or spray the crap out of it with inox or something then you will need to regrease the slide bits but just a little. Operate the shifter a few times to spread the grease inside then wipe off any excess grease on the outside where nothing moves then leave it alone.

Flow-Rider

Burner
High end Shimano cables are pre-greased with silicone grease, I don't put anything on them, but if I was to I would use PTFE or some form of dry lube on the normal cables.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
My bike came with SP41 as standard, a nice touch!
The split cables that ran down the rear seat stays used to be problematic, as all the grime would end up running into the outer cable from the tyre flicking it there in the wet and the grease would tend to trap it there. I don't think you'd have a lot of problems with the new generation stuff.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The fork is the best one I've ever owned but with a more experienced pilot ( @Scotty T ), the limitations are clear. In fact I find it gets a bit overwhelmed with repeated hits which is quite common on Smithfield's terrain so my big goal for this year is to buy a quality fork. I have a few options which include a used DVO Diamond, a new SR Suntour Auron EQ or Durolux EQ, or a new Manitou Mezzer Expert.
Good write up Hambo.

Have you played around with the tuning of your current fork at all? ie: Tried playing with speeding up or slowing down the rebound damping, different air pressures, volume reducers, etc? It's amazing how much you can change the feel of a fork with some quick adjustments.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Have you played around with the tuning of your current fork at all? ie: Tried playing with speeding up or slowing down the rebound damping, different air pressures, volumn reducers, etc? It's amazing how much you can change the feel of a fork with some quick adjustments.
Shockcraft have some good GooGlaBle info here:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
For the very short time I was upright on the bike the fork setup felt good, just a bit of flex and bounce in the more lumpy stuff compared to the burly higher end forks I've ridden and loved the last few years, as expected. I did some pretty good runs on an old 2012 model back in 2014, could definitely have a worse fork so take your time.