Trip to Tassie advice

BENH

Squid
The wife and i are going to Tassie in October for about 13 days i am leaving a few days before and am taking the bikes (160mm enduro and hard tail) i was planning on doing Derby and around penguin before we head south to Hobart for a week. So far from the searches i have the following spots to check on my list:

Maydena
blue derby
Penguin
some other public trails near hobart.

I am sure there is alot around so any advice would be great.

I will also be spending a bit of time around Carlton if there is anything local to that. Wife said she will shuttle for me so hills are not a problem.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
The wife and i are going to Tassie in October for about 13 days i am leaving a few days before and am taking the bikes (160mm enduro and hard tail) i was planning on doing Derby and around penguin before we head south to Hobart for a week. So far from the searches i have the following spots to check on my list:

Maydena
blue derby
Penguin
some other public trails near hobart.

I am sure there is alot around so any advice would be great.

I will also be spending a bit of time around Carlton if there is anything local to that. Wife said she will shuttle for me so hills are not a problem.
While your up around Penguin/Dial Range area drop in on the Wild Mersey trails at Latrobe and Railton. http://ridewildmersey.com.au/

While you in Hobart be sure to head over to the Meehan range.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Meehan range (as above) will be the closest to Carlton and has some pretty OK riding. You really can't leave Tas/Hobart without doing a Mtn Run though. Local knowledge can really be the key here so jumping on TAS MTB on facebook can be handy. Otherwise just do a North South run from the Springs to Glenorchy MTB park and do some exploring whilst you're there.

There is a large new trail network opening in St Helens which is slated for November so it looks like you'll miss that. Scamander I think has some trails opening to at some stage.

There's a XC course a kellevie but I wouldn't bother.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
In addition to Blue Tier and Wild Mersey, I'd also check out the Kelcey Tier trails outside of Devonport
Hobart has stacks of trails, but outside of the North-South and the Meehan Range most are unofficial or not as well advertised. Trailforks is your friend.
Not much around Carlton, but Kellevie MTB park is not too far from there. It's private land though so you will need to contact about access

With the list you already have and only 13 days you'll be picking what not to ride, rather than running out of trails!

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Yeah definitely try and fit an afternoon on the South Hobart trails. Trailforks shows some of the trails in that area, but far from all. Happy to suggest some ways to link it all together to take in some of the North South Track, then cherry pick the South Hobart area with or without shuttles. There's a lot of trail tucked away like a mini Maydena.

Meehan is also great, especially if it's wet while you're down around Hobart. Trails are prime there after some rain.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Digging this thread up to ask basically the same - in Hobart for the next two days, have my bike and probably a few hours free tomorrow morning to squeeze in a ride.

Where should I go? Staying in central Hobart, have the car. Meehan? Glenorchy? What’s the best vibe for a fun morning pedalling up?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Digging this thread up to ask basically the same - in Hobart for the next two days, have my bike and probably a few hours free tomorrow morning to squeeze in a ride.

Where should I go? Staying in central Hobart, have the car. Meehan? Glenorchy? What’s the best vibe for a fun morning pedalling up?
Probably the Meehan would be your best bet if you just have a few hours. South Hobart is good but you need to know where you are going to link the best bits up. Trailforks is still a must as I still get lost in the Meehan

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Go out to Glenorchy and ride the North South Track up to the springs and back down again.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go out to Glenorchy and ride the North South Track up to the springs and back down again.
Agree. Just did that ride myself this morning. A bit of work on the climb but a great roll back down. Even a little jump park at the bottom to play around in.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Or do the tourist visit to Wellington Summit with your bike in a vehicle, then enjoy the descent.
The Hobart bike path comes through Glenorchy, join that and ride back to the city.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Thanks guys had eyed the N-S on a Trailforks but wasn’t sure it was actually two way. Good to hear, looks like a good one for the morning and can faff about at Glenorchy after if I still have time.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thanks guys had eyed the N-S on a Trailforks but wasn’t sure it was actually two way. Good to hear, looks like a good one for the morning and can faff about at Glenorchy after if I still have time.
Some very nice log rides on the NS Track, its a great trail.

nathanm

Eats Squid

What sort of riding and what fitness level? You driving to the trailhead or riding?

North south is well worth it. The climb from glenorchy is a gradual grind for 60-90 minutes (or 120+ if you're slow like me) then a really fun 40 minute descent.

South Hobart is much more technical and requires some good local knowledge or trailforks to make the most of it. Be warned though broken bones regularly occur in there.

Clarence and Meehan Range are also good if you've got a vehicle. Again plenty of climbing and local knowledge/trail forks otherwise just get lost in there. Plenty of good trails to stumble across.

Stick a post on the Tas Mtb facebook page and you may find a tour guide or feel free to pm me.

clockworked

Like an orange
Glenorchy currently sucks unfortunately

This should be clear enough for a good meehan loop if you've got trailforks.
Park at the main carpark.
Friends link
Friends track
Xc upper
K's choice going up
Along the firetrail to clifftop
Fire trail
Flagstaff hill lower
Flagstaff upper
Nutella
Simmons hill descent
Avoid tbe steel bastard
Fire road
Clifftop
Squatters run OR clarence downhill
Smooth as butter
Skills park and out

South hobart
Cascadr car Park
Marilyn munroad
Stricklandia
Upper luge (up and down)
Main fire road around to stairway to heaven
Sexual soil
Fish fingers up
Nationals
Red wine

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Thanks all, rode North South up and back from Glenorchy in the end. @clockworked was right in that the Glenorchy end was flogged, came down the DH track to finish and it looks like it hasn’t had anything other than water runoff down it in months aha. N-S was a nice mix of terrain and stuff though, good for a pedal.

Would have liked to do Meehan but looking at the route above and Trailforks I could just see myself spending more time looking at my phone than riding.

Last edited: