Trials on a dirt jumper?

Hi all just like a lot of people who get into trials, i have decided to get into the sport after watching heaps of trials videos on youtube. The only problem is i have just purchased a Commencal maxmax dirt jumping bike. My question is, Is it possible to start out on a Dj bike to learn the basics and go from there? If it is can people give me some basics to try and master before going big and being the next internet sensation :very_drunk: .

Carl-23

Likes Dirt
Im trying the learn trials on a dirtjumper ( upgraded stp) right now, doesnt do too badly. Try trackstanding, basic hopping, riding skinny stuff and balance excerises.

Lilley

Likes Dirt
Basically if you already own a DJ bike their is no dramas using it to get started, there are plenty of skills you can learn on one. An XC hardtail can also be a good starting point. Start with trackstands, pivots, bunnyhops and general balance. If you have gears and a low enough ratio you might also be able to start on backwheel hops.

Once you are ready to advance further you will want to get an actual trials bike suited to the style of trials you like.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think everyone has wanted to be a fully sick trials rider at some point.. But the dedication to get good at it moves us all on pretty quickly. The only mod id make is a lower gear to help with pedal kicks. Occaisionally youll see very cheap trials bikes come up, I think a norco trials bike recently sold on here for 250?

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

theallcreator

Likes Bikes
The only mod id make is a lower gear to help with pedal kicks.
The other thing I would change is the rear cassette. The trials ones have way more engagements, so you dont get that space of pedaling against nothing when you start to pedal. That made a lot of difference once I bought a trials bike, and that was actually the first thing I noticed. My bike had gears, see.

That bike would be fine to get started, you just need to make the gearing easy so you can crank hop abit, it will be good to learn on but if you more into trial defiantly consider buying a trials specific bike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Dan0

Cannon Fodder
I have a dirt jumper (ABD derelikt) and I use it for trials I think it handles most beginner stuff quite well