Trek Fuel EX 9.8 bigger forks?

tommy gun

Likes Dirt
Thinking of replacing fox 34's at 140 travel to the new Fox 36's at 150.
Loving the fuel EX 2017 9.8 suits my style of riding, previous bike was a reign advanced 0 2015.
Mates all say it would be a good thing, more of hitter up front.
Anyone done this and what are your opinions?

Last edited:

Sandakan

Likes Bikes
I'd go the 36's but it depends where and how you ride.
If you do go down that route I'd be interested in buying your 34's off you. I've got a Trek EX8 that I've been thinking of going more front travel.

Jayhawc

Squid
I up-forked my 2015 29 Fuel EX 9.8 from 120 to 140mm forks because I saw a lot of people doing it and loved it, but if you push a trail bike too hard you will eventually snap it. Not long after I put the new fork on the rocker snapped because the backend was never going to keep up with the new fork, then I found a crack in the headtube and a few other cracks started appearing all over the frame. Trek are known for their strict warranty conditions so now I am riding a reign....

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did the same with mine (2015 Fuel 9.9) and it was awesome. I did feel like you though that I was always pushing it a bit too far. Interestingly Trek always said 140mm was as far as I could go on it.

I did kill it eventually but not down to the forks...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It depends on what you want out of the fork.

The 36s are a stiffer fork across the range. The grip 2 versions also add high and low speed compression and rebound.

If you're a heavier rider than the added stiffnes would be a bonus, but if you just want more adjustabilty then there are upgrades available for the Fox34 that might be more economical.

There's also the Manitou Mattoc Pro which offers high and low speed compression and the air spring can be upgraded with the IRT kit. You might actually be able to sell your Fox 34 and buy the Mattoc without extra cash.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

tommy gun

Likes Dirt
It depends on what you want out of the fork.

The 36s are a stiffer fork across the range. The grip 2 versions also add high and low speed compression and rebound.

If you're a heavier rider than the added stiffnes would be a bonus, but if you just want more adjustabilty then there are upgrades available for the Fox34 that might be more economical.

There's also the Manitou Mattoc Pro which offers high and low speed compression and the air spring can be upgraded with the IRT kit. You might actually be able to sell your Fox 34 and buy the Mattoc without extra cash.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Looking for something with a bit more hit on the way down
New 36 150 reviews are very good putting it on the front of the fuel ex would improve it greatly

pdj

Cannon Fodder
Adding to an old post here, but for anyone looking to do it, i can highly recommend!!

Trek Fuel Ex 9 29 - 2015
Fox 36 at 150mm 44mm offset (i did try a few different air shafts, but settled on this)
Have installed an offset shock bushing to lower the bb to compensate for the bigger fork.
Stem has also been lowered on the steerer so no spacers under.

Bike feels amazing with the bigger fork. So much more capable and fun on the descents and smoother in general riding. Areas i ride are pretty rocky and janky as opposed to smooth trails. I thought it might effect technical climbing, but the bigger fork & slacker headtube angle feel great.

Crazy fun!!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I always thought that model could only go from 120mm to 140mm?

Over forking is what I did with mine of the same MY. It's hanging on the wall now but that was a fun bike at 140/120.

pdj

Cannon Fodder
I always thought that model could only go from 120mm to 140mm?

Over forking is what I did with mine of the same MY. It's hanging on the wall now but that was a fun bike at 140/120.
It is supposed to only go to 140, but I tried it at both and the 150 is crazy fun and still climbs like a demon. It's an old bike so not concerned about warranty, people will probably say it's too much for this model. Each to their own, just posting my experience that it's a hoot!!