Travel insurance

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Going to whistler next week. Recommendation of travel insurance company to go to? Was thinking of velosure but changed my mind after I saw some horrid reviews online. MTBA recommended world nomads and bikesure.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Southern Cross is awesome.
My wife fell off her mtbike in Spain and they were v helpful.
Recently friends injured in Morocco insured via credit card = shitfight.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep they are good.
Reviews of insurance companies by clueless people who have never claimed are rubbish.
Dont go for the cheapest.
I deal with insurance companies at work and can tell you some are unethical.
Also Whistler can hurt so pace yourself the first few days.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
The PDS of the policy needs to specify what is excluded ie generally non racing mtbiking < 3000m altitude is OK.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I had allianz travel insurance last time I went OS (never had to claim), but nfi if worthwhile or not.

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
(never had to claim), but nfi if worthwhile or not.

Sorry thats just what I was talking about .
Our friends in Morocco were with Allianz = it was not good.
Out of pocket , one with head injury had to go back cattle class and since has had brain surgery.
No assistance in airport with a wheelchair for the one with a broken ankle . Want to hear more ?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
(never had to claim), but nfi if worthwhile or not.

Sorry thats just what I was talking about .
Our friends in Morocco were with Allianz = it was not good.
Out of pocket , one with head injury had to go back cattle class and since has had brain surgery.
No assistance in airport with a wheelchair for the one with a broken ankle . Want to hear more ?
yeah nah. I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Yep they are good.
Reviews of insurance companies by clueless people who have never claimed are rubbish.
Dont go for the cheapest.
I deal with insurance companies at work and can tell you some are unethical.
Also Whistler can hurt so pace yourself the first few days.
Thanks mate. Will give these guys a try.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I'll also be going to Whistler (in a few weeks) , will be using SCTI and my bike is under home and contents which is covered for overseas damage (excludes racing but I won't be doing any of that).
Made two claims in the past with SCTI and they have been great.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I'll also be going to Whistler (in a few weeks) , will be using SCTI and my bike is under home and contents which is covered for overseas damage (excludes racing but I won't be doing any of that).
Made two claims in the past with SCTI and they have been great.
Following up on this ... Last month I fractured my shoulder in Whistler.

I highly recommend Southern Cross Travel Insurance.
They paid out all my medical bills (3k), booked me an earlier flight home and covered all lost costs for all the accomodation / transport / activities I missed out on from coming back early.

They also cover bike damage and theft (up to a certain value by default $1k I think ... then you can pay more to up the value).
Reasonably priced aswell!

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
No SCTI is the best.
Any company that uses a call centre is a pain and they may charge for long distance phone calls including waiting for 20 mins. This actually happened w Allianz.
Dont go cheapest.
Unfortunately sooner or later at somewhere like Whistler you will be injured.