AM Transition to Banshee

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Funny thing was that I mostly bought them to get free shipping on an order, then realised I had ordered the wrong size chain ring, so had to post back and pay for the post anyway...!

Then I added some new grips to the second order because why not (and free shipping!), so MTBdirect are the real winners here.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
It lives!

First ride this morning after the good blokes at Monkey Wrench reassembled my shifter and redished the wheel. I set it up yesterday and too it out for a spin this morning while the air was OK. Smoke rolled in after a while though...

Its way smaller than the Process in reach, which will take some getting used to. Much more upright position, and weight more over the front wheel... But, once I got into it, loved how engaged with trail it felt, rather than being carried by the bike. The short travel out back allows it to pedal quite well, and the DT hubs engage much quicker than what I’ve had before, which gave it nice acceleration. Not a fast bike though, and feels pretty heavy.

The DVO worked pretty well following the guidelines on their site, just need to dial in the high speed a little more, but otherwise it felt very plush and stable.

Probably a L would be ideal, but I’ll give this some time to get used to

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

New rotors - wanted just a replacement RT 91 or something but CRC sent me an MT800 even though its not listed on their site... so the rotors didnt match which annoyed me so I ordered another one from elsewhere..

Switched to resin pads and loving it so far.

New saddle SDG Radar a few weeks back. Ergon GA1 grips now too.

Havent been riding much but getting some loner rides in now the gym is closed

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Put a few hundred kms on this now - its a really great bike. I think it covers 70-80% of my riding well - its fine for a long pedal and only really gets out of its depth when its quite rocky and steep.

Pros:
  • pedalling efficiency, can leave shock open pretty much all the time
  • smooth - it just sits so well on the trail and holds speed well
  • can really ride the 140mm fork hard and push through rocky sections

Cons:
  • a bit heavy but so am I
  • the 115mm travel runs out pretty quick on some of the chunkier trails
  • rear tyre occasionally buzzes my arse on really steep stuff (could be helped with riding position? but its only 430mm reach so I naturally want to get back over rear)

I'll keep going on this bike for a while longer, but I think I also want a longer bike with more travel - something like a Prime with a 150mm fork.

mint355

Likes Dirt
Put a few hundred kms on this now - its a really great bike. I think it covers 70-80% of my riding well - its fine for a long pedal and only really gets out of its depth when its quite rocky and steep.

Pros:
  • pedalling efficiency, can leave shock open pretty much all the time
  • smooth - it just sits so well on the trail and holds speed well
  • can really ride the 140mm fork hard and push through rocky sections

Cons:
  • a bit heavy but so am I
  • the 115mm travel runs out pretty quick on some of the chunkier trails
  • rear tyre occasionally buzzes my arse on really steep stuff (could be helped with riding position? but its only 430mm reach so I naturally want to get back over rear)

I'll keep going on this bike for a while longer, but I think I also want a longer bike with more travel - something like a Prime with a 150mm fork.
What about a sentinel?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

Latest updates over past months: XT 4 pot brakes, OneUp dropper and OneUp pump + EDC tool.

Haven't tried dropper yet, it might still be too tall... oops

Not much riding in last month or two anyway, but will get back into it this week.

p.s. @Scotty T have you got any green cable crimps left? :)

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Its been a whole 12 months and I haven't changed anything except put a SS minion on the rear...!

Riding it 2-3 times a week with the gyms closed, loving it, but also starting to more seriously consider a Prime, Phantom or similar but the price keeps on going up... :(

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
New fork time..

You could use that one but new fork time is better :p
Yeah new fork might be next in any case, I'm setting it up at 140mm but thats it max, so will be keeping an eye out down the track for something that can be adjusted 140-160mm