Trail Hardtail Advice

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Just whoring my bike here:

160mm 29er with 2.5 front and 2.3 rear.

I've got a fuck load of clearance on the rear and could fit a 2.6 easily... The down side, is that I can only fit a 30 tooth chainring.

Attachments

MeridaMatt85

Likes Bikes

I've got a fuck load of clearance on the rear and could fit a 2.6 easily... The down side, is that I can only fit a 30 tooth chainring.
I like that!! but only a 30t?!?! I have a 32 NWO now and was thinking of swapping to a 34t NWO with an 11-50 sunrace cassette!

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
I like that!! but only a 30t?!?! I have a 32 NWO now and was thinking of swapping to a 34t NWO with an 11-50 sunrace cassette!
Yeah, the chain stays bow out massively to make the huge tyre clearance, with a short chain stay length. This comes at the cost of the chain ring size.

I've got 10 speed Sunrace 11 - 42 and that's pretty much low enough for almost everything. As for the top end, its a mountain bike. I've got a cyclocross if I want to go faster.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Is that a boost crankset? If not, changing to boost cranks (and guide, I guess) could get a few more teeth on the ring.
No, its not actually. I hadn't considered that. I think with the 142mm rear the chainline might be all screwey.

I'll try and grab a pic sometime of the tyre clearance and chain alignment if anyones interested. I've kinda taken over this thread with my own personal shit. I should just start my own pimp your ride thread.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I think with the 142mm rear the chainline might be all screwey.
It's only a few mm outboard from what you have now. Maybe 1 cog worth on the cassette - so I guess if it affects anything, it would be getting into/staying in the big cog. Depending on the guide, you might have some effort centering it over the ring further out. And I guess you'll need a longer chain for a bigger front ring.

Calvin27

Eats Squid

What specific frame is that? Sentier VR29? I'm in the market for a hardtail. Unlike all the advice here, I am building it because my parts bin has accumulated to the point I can build a new bike and the whole belt drive ss bike was in the too hard/expensive basket haha. I have no plans with the bike other than to build and ride it - I alread have too many bikes, but I like building them - it's cheaper than cars.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Yeah I have pretty much ruled out the Merida, I really don't like the fork and it would need to be stupidly cheaper than Nukeproof to even consider it. I am thinking Dartmoor Primal or the NP scout 290 or Scout 275 depending on what tyres I can fit on each (asked CRC and bike right but no replies as yet)
If u r after dartmoor, give Bikes By Ascension a call to see if they have any primal still around. I remember about 2 months ago they were doing stock clearance. See if they still have some old primal or other dartmoor frame you can get for cheaper price.

As for HT, I have a commencal meta ht am. Very happy with the bike. Very capable descender and easy to climb. Bought the frame off CRC as commencal au didn't have them in stock. 65 head angle built with 160mm cc helm fork 27.5+ 2.8F and 3.0R. Highly recommended.