Trail bike brake recommendations

LPG

likes thicc birds
I'm also after some advice.

Got a new bike a month ago that came with Guide R 4 pots. As we know the bite point is not adjustable and it engages too close to the bar for me. The issue is, I brake with one finger but use my middle finger as I get more power and feel from it vs my index finger. With the Guides, my index finger gets squashed between the lever and bar when trying to brake as the bite point is too close to the bar. (Aslo the guide engagement point seems a little variable at times).
Anyway, I see you can buy Guide RSC levers for about $140 each online which would give me the bite point adjustment. Or, for the same money, get a full XT 2 pot brake.

Are the Guide 4 pots that much more powerful that XT 2 pots?

Cheers.
Have you tried moving the lever further inboard so that your index finger is right on the end of the lever? This should give you more power with your index finger.

It may take a bit to get used to and it doesn't give you an excuse to spend money on the bike.

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Have you tried moving the lever further inboard so that your index finger is right on the end of the lever? This should give you more power with your index finger.

It may take a bit to get used to and it doesn't give you an excuse to spend money on the bike.
Yeah, was thinking that.... Might just try to learn to brake with my index figure!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Got a new bike a month ago that came with Guide R 4 pots. As we know the bite point is not adjustable and it engages too close to the bar for me. The issue is, I brake with one finger but use my middle finger as I get more power and feel from it vs my index finger. With the Guides, my index finger gets squashed between the lever and bar when trying to brake as the bite point is too close to the bar. (Aslo the guide engagement point seems a little variable at times).
My new bike also came with Guide R + organic pads.
I agree with your sentiments. Not inspiring anchors and way too much lever travel IMO.
But I just fitted sintered & semi-metal (F/R) Jagwire pads & thoroughly re-bled both ends.
Went riding today down The Juggernaut (big, long descent) and I gotta say they are much improved. I'm almost getting used to 'em.

No. You are better off selling the guides to someone gullible and getting the XTs. If you get the metal pads for the XTs they will cream the guides.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
^This.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thats awesome, what a good thing to hear.
If you get the tools needed to bleed them, hit me up and I'll tell you how to make them feel spectacular.

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thats awesome, what a good thing to hear.
If you get the tools needed to bleed them, hit me up and I'll tell you how to make them feel spectacular.
Does he have to pay the usual price of his innocence?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Are telling me @Dozer has put his price up? Hopefully this doesn't lead into wide spread @RotorBurn #inflation from a wristy to more involved forms of payment.
What's that position where you have to suck off the john while getting your ass spanked?

Maybe we can rebrand it #Guidingthedozer.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Digging time but after a race yesterday a mate is ready to consign the Guide RSCs on her bike to an accommodating fire and get something else. I'm giving her a nudge towards TRP but DHR Evos or Quadiems seem to be out of stock everywhere. She's really keen to get something that has a lot of modulation / feel. Dot poison is fine.

Couple of questions:

• Anyone had Hayes Dominion A4s or Code RSCs? What did you think of them?
  • Is it possible to mate Code RSC calipers to Guide levers (just thinking it might save some money if remotely feasible).

Cheers

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Modulation and feel? Hope.

E4’s with Race Matrix pads are ample to stop my 90+ kgs kitted up. V4’s do have marginally more power, but are hard to get the (Tech 3) levers feeling firm.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Digging time but after a race yesterday a mate is ready to consign the Guide RSCs on her bike to an accommodating fire and get something else. I'm giving her a nudge towards TRP but DHR Evos or Quadiems seem to be out of stock everywhere. She's really keen to get something that has a lot of modulation / feel. Dot poison is fine.

Couple of questions:

• Is it possible to mate Code RSC calipers to Guide levers (just thinking it might save some money if remotely feasible).
Cheers
Formula Cura have been good to me.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

Couple of questions:

Cheers
I’ve had both and you honestly could not go wrong with either. Easier to get pads for the RSC on bike trips.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've run hope, quadiems and cura 4 of late.

The dominions are by far my favourite. Lever feel is quite firm similar to Shimano.

Insanely powerful brakes imho

Sent from my AC2001 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Formula Cura have been good to me.
Formula Cura single pistons are better than my XT Quad piston brakes, hands down.

The bleeding and maintenance is to be decided as I have never had to bleed them... whereas Shimano are really easy.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Formula Cura single pistons are better than my XT Quad piston brakes, hands down.

The bleeding and maintenance is to be decided as I have never had to bleed them... whereas Shimano are really easy.
I had to bleed the rear caliper when putting on a new line for the Bird. Bleeding was strange forward and almost as easy as Shimano, I made a cup that fits the lever so it is now as easy as Shimano.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I had to bleed the rear caliper when putting on a new line for the Bird. Bleeding was strange forward and almost as easy as Shimano, I made a cup that fits the lever so it is now as easy as Shimano.
What’d you use for the lever cup? Nice idea.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I was a die hard Hope fan for many years, then moved to Shimano and love the simplicity of Shimano brakes, the power and the ease of bleeding when they need it is awesome, if my Cura brakes are as easy I will be 100% in the Formula camp.