Traction in the mud

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What are peoples recommendations for a winter rear tyre that can handle a bit of slop but still rolls ok?
Recent trips to Wombat and Harcourt have showed me that the Aggressor is a little out of its depth at this time of year when the mud is around, and once it gets filled up it really isn't a fun ride.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Maxxis DHR2, HR2, Shorty, Wetscream in order of sloppiness.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dissector seems to do alright in moderately wet conditions, if this weekend at Derby was any indication. Picked it up over a DHR2/DHF as it seems to roll a bit better, almost as well as an Aggressor.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
In addition to above, Conti Der Kaisers which are a very similar to Maxxis HR2 only with slightly taller knobs and tighter together.

Maxxis shortys are awesome in the mud.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
What are peoples recommendations for a winter rear tyre that can handle a bit of slop but still rolls ok?
Recent trips to Wombat and Harcourt have showed me that the Aggressor is a little out of its depth at this time of year when the mud is around, and once it gets filled up it really isn't a fun ride.
forget wombat, aggressor should b perfect at harcourt, minion ss still running well there

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I have been hearing that the Michelin Wild Am are exactly that in the wet, "Wild" and are to be avoided, very loose over roots and rocks with only the slight amount of rain needed...Haven't tried them myself, but didn't the old Michelin tires run a quite hard compound which is suicide in the wet!..
I run the WTB ranger or Vee Crown Gem and they seem ok, but I am also running 3.0" tires ;)

moorey

call me Mia
Maxxis shortys are awesome in the mud.
True. Horrific rolling on the rear though. Riding through treacle.

Harcourt and wombat are about as different as is possible though. The Harcourt granite sand can get sloppy, but never slippery. Wombat I a whole other matter.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I have been hearing that the Michelin Wild Am are exactly that in the wet, "Wild" and are to be avoided, very loose over roots and rocks with only the slight amount of rain needed...Haven't tried them myself, but didn't the old Michelin tires run a quite hard compound which is suicide in the wet!..
I run the WTB ranger or Vee Crown Gem and they seem ok, but I am also running 3.0" tires ;)
I'm a massive fan of that tyre (Wild AM), I'm not sure about it as a full on mud tyre...the centre knobs are fairly low and closely packed. It does perform well when there's a bit of moisture and loamy dirt though.

The Michelin tyres dont seem to be as forgiving as others from what I've felt, preferring a hard and precise riding style. Wouldn't describe them as dangerous on wet roots/rocks though.

moorey

call me Mia
Huge love recently found for the Mich wild enduro combo. Slightly more rolling resistance than my favorite minion DHF/DHR2 combo, but definitely better in the wet.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I have been hearing that the Michelin Wild Am are exactly that in the wet, "Wild" and are to be avoided....
Michelin seem to be very literal with their tyre names..... My original Anthem came with "XC Dry" (forerunner to Wild Race'r) tyres, and they were great when the ground was dry, but utterly shit at the slightest hint of moisture.

Anyway, for balance of traction & rolling, I'd go something like a Maxxis Ardent; open enough knobs to not clog up, but low enough profile to not squirm & drag on firmer stuff. For Harcourt & Wombat you ideally want two different tyres.....

moorey

call me Mia
I thought that too, but it it was pretty horrible yesterday. After a lap of tracks 3 and 4 the Aggressor was just overwhelmed
I’ve been there in the wet...admittedly not this week like you....and just can’t fathom where knobby tyres would help on tracks 3 and 4. Tyres never clog up in that surface...just doesn’t stick. Like I way though, you’re there, not me.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I’ve been there in the wet...admittedly not this week like you....and just can’t fathom where knobby tyres would help on tracks 3 and 4. Tyres never clog up in that surface...just doesn’t stick. Like I way though, you’re there, not me.
there are a couple of little seepage springs which have created short 1-2m bogs at low points, there were 4-5 to ride through, doesn’t necessitate a bigger tyre imo, the bit just before car park after down 2 was horrible, i bypassed through the creek & avoided the mud

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I had the Michelin Wild a friend gave me cos they were too slow .
They grip OK but on the back too much unless you live in a swamp.Its a compromise .
Sold them to someone on RB who lives near a swamp.
Yack never gets that muddy ,99% red shaley clay that drains well so cant say about the back except I dont mind the back slipping a bit . 1% white / grey / yellow spew I just walk
Too much riding in mud wrecks tracks.
Shorty on the front cos dont want the front slipping.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Would agree that Michelin is one of the brands that really designs and designates different tyres may be cos they are from Europe.