Totem axle

PJO

in me vL comy
I have come across a set of Rockshox totems, they are missing an axle and I'm planning on getting my old man to machine up something to suit. Looks like the thread is M20x2.0 at the brake end, and the main axle is 20mm, but the non-brake side is wider at 22mm. Can anyone tell me how long the the 22mm section is, does it just go the exact width of the "dropout", or is it a bit shorter? I'm thinking it must just go the same width otherwise it wouldn't make sense, but happy to be corrected if anyone knows more...

moorey

call me Mia
I've had 2 totems, ran same axle as 20mm revs from memory. I have a rev axle in shed I can look at if needed.

moorey

call me Mia
Incidentally, an old (2010/11 era) boxxer axle ‘works‘, though it’s about 5mm longer for beefier dropouts.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
He axle worked across a variety of rs forks.

When hey ditched the cumbersome qr locking mechanism, the flip lever's cam expands the stepped end (brake side) to lock the axle in place.

Brilliant fork. Excellent axle system.

PJO

in me vL comy
Thanks for looking @moorey
They look like the part but, the length isn't right, look like they are about 5-6mm too short.
I'm getting 163-4mm across the dropouts, it must be the same as the boxxer axle

PJO

in me vL comy
Ah so I need an expanding collet? Won't work with just a straight section at a wider diameter than the main axle?

Can the axles that you have @moorey be taken apart and the locking mechanism separated from the straight axle section? If so I could get the old man to machine up a longer...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
In the original maxle (which would also fit - top one in @moorey's pic), the expanding plug was in the threaded end, and was essentially just a QR skewer. If you're not worried about an OEM-look you could probably do a 22-20mm stepped axle with the right thread pitch and then just use washers and a long QR skewer to ensure they all stay clamped together.

Reactions: PJO

moorey

call me Mia
Ah so I need an expanding collet? Won't work with just a straight section at a wider diameter than the main axle?

Can the axles that you have @moorey be taken apart and the locking mechanism separated from the straight axle section? If so I could get the old man to machine up a longer...
Hmm...I could have sworn I swapped one to a domain. On reflection, the 40mm leg totems would be wider than 32 revs. I was thinking of old 35mm domains.
not even sure boxxer will work, being 35 also.

Sorry man.

PJO

in me vL comy
In the original maxle (which would also fit - top one in @moorey's pic), the expanding plug was in the threaded end, and was essentially just a QR skewer. If you're not worried about an OEM-look you could probably do a 22-20mm stepped axle with the right thread pitch and then just use washers and a long QR skewer to ensure they all stay clamped together.
Yeah this was what I was thinking, something like this with a locking cap at the brake side

edit: like the banshee rear axle on the v2 frames

PJO

in me vL comy
I wouldn't be optimistic about that working. Your end cap could work loose pretty easy
Yeah but same system used on banshee v2 frames and they don't work themselves loose.
Reckon it's worth a shot not going to cost me much except for a bit of aluminium.
edit: at least the missus' spitfire is holding together fine...

PJO

in me vL comy
My real problem with this fork is that it has a 155mm steerer, which is really limiting. Might have to try reducing the travel and stick it on the DJ bike. Would look a bit silly on there since the fork stanchions would be thicker than the steel frame tubes!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Could do it similar to the Santa Cruz linkage hardware... Similar to what you've got above but a conical "plug" that's fixed with a standard m6 allen bolt. Easy to replace, don't need the thread to also do the expansion etc.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah but same system used on banshee v2 frames and they don't work themselves loose.
I beg to differ. Mine loosens up over a few rides. Check out MTBR. There is a thread on this problem, though most are saying it’s the DT axle not being able to be torqued enough.