Torque caps

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Putting a new Rock Shox SID on my bike.Another rider suggested I use torque caps? Anybody else use them? What do they do? Worth it? Thanks

moorey

call me Mia
Putting a new Rock Shox SID on my bike.Another rider suggested I use torque caps? Anybody else use them? What do they do? Worth it? Thanks
I run them on Felix’s bike. Neither he nor I am convinced there’s a difference.
He rides very hard....though the Lyric is a much stiffer chassis than the SID.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Honestly the main thing with torque caps is it's annoying aligning the hub without them if you're regularly taking the front wheel off... That's about it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Honestly the main thing with torque caps is it's annoying aligning the hub without them if you're regularly taking the front wheel off... That's about it.
The bike manufacturers don't care either, my boys Canyon and Trek came with 160mm Lyrik and Pike on them, both TC forks without TC hubs or caps.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well...after trawling though the obligatory sarcasm, at least we all agree that the continual changing of "standards" is a marketing opportunity for the manufacturers. I think I will do nothing and just ride it and hope the Cycling Compliance Police don't pull me up. Yes, I am the guy seen wearing baggies on his road bike.

moorey

call me Mia
Is it a new standard, or just option though?
The fork takes either, and they don’t come standard on the hub (at least not on Hopes.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Is it a new standard, or just option though?
A fine line these days.

The torque cap idea probably came from the RockShox RS-1 fork where they had that predictive steering hub with a 'torque tube'

They have floated it as an option with the idea to run with or without, probably waiting on an industry yay or nay.

Not the best time to doing this shit, companies cant even get the stuff out that they are already tooled for.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
They have floated it as an option with the idea to run with or without, probably waiting on an industry yay or nay.

Not the best time to doing this shit, companies cant even get the stuff out that they are already tooled for.
I think this time it's genuinely an option believe it or not. The Lyrik I had that had the torque cap-compatible dropouts was a non-boost fork from 2017/18. So they've been around for a while but I guess hub manufacturers haven't gone all in because it's another set of end caps that are compatible with only one brand of fork and therefore a PITA... Can get them for DT hubs at least but I remember availability wasn't great when I spent 5 minutes considering buying some back in the day.