Too much bike for total noob?

cressa

Likes Dirt
If you can afford it buy it. Expensive bikes are amazing... period. Stumpy is expensive and therefore amazing - sounds fool proof to me.

tbass

Likes Bikes
If you like the 29er Stumpy then make sure you check out the Norco Shinobi and Kona Satori as well. Both are 29ers aimed more at All Mountain type of riding so if you are thinking about doing some light downhill they might be a bit better than the Stumpy.

Andor

Squid
If you can afford it buy it. Expensive bikes are amazing... period. Stumpy is expensive and therefore amazing - sounds fool proof to me.
Sarcasm? Got something useful to add?

I'm new to the whole mountain bike thing, but i was just curious to know why you said please no recommendation for a hardtail? Just interested to know the difference.
My understanding is hardtail is lighter, more efficient pedaling and supposedly you will learn better skills by starting out with a hardtail. Full suspension bikes are more comfortable, more controllable and arguably more fun but obviously heavier and more expensive.

If you like the 29er Stumpy then make sure you check out the Norco Shinobi and Kona Satori as well. Both are 29ers aimed more at All Mountain type of riding so if you are thinking about doing some light downhill they might be a bit better than the Stumpy.
Thanks for the heads up. I had already checked out the norco but the spec seemed a bit low. Kona looks interesting and warrants further research.

nickz

Likes Dirt
Here are my thoughts:

Work hard, play hard. Get the Stumpy and ride the shit out of it. No point getting a hardtail to "start out" with, they will always be lighter, but in my opinion someone doesn't get a hardtail because it's lighter, especially as the Stumpy is plenty light as it is. Start out with your dream bike. No such thing as too much bike, unless it means riding a DH bike on XC tracks, which is frustrating. Don't listen to the LBS toolbag, get the bike YOU WANT , and smile every time you look at it.

Don't compromise getting a cheaper bike, or a bike that someone else thinks you are worthy of, you have nothing to prove on a nice new bike. If this is a replacement for motorsport, then it is already a cheaper option by getting into MTB. You're worth a sweet bike (and definitely worth a good helmet)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
umm, you came into a forum as a self confessed newbee, and asked a question specifically about whether a bike was too much for a newbee, and you got a few people who agree with the person in the LBS and you are surprised? He's having a go at one of the most common crap statements you hear in this country - "you get what you pay for" - anyone with an ounce of experience in marketing knows damn well that you pay whatever the market will bare - value is the last consideration.

Funnily enough today I spent some time with a guy who worked for a year or so in a spesh store in london (what are the chances heh!) - when i mentioned i was into mountain biking he asked what sort of bike i had, and then launched immediately into how people would come into the shop, and want to buy the 5000 pound carbon s works full suspension model bike and end up riding it round on the road - get this he even said, you couldnt convince a customer that they didnt need this full carbon and xtr bike and they could save 4000 quid for a bike that did what they want better, but they'd insist and buy it almost to spite the salesperson lol - now i'm not putting you in that class andor (i just want to make that clear), but i would guess that the sale person heard the words "commute to work" and based on experience, threw out any other words as "intention" but kept "commute to work" as the reality. Andor - for that not to be you, you will need to be the exception not the rule.

So buy the stumpy, but if you only ride it once a month off road by the end of the year, then you're a pussy and the weeny bloke at the LBS was right! ;D :D ! (and you dont want him to be right do you.....)

Last edited:

OZX

Likes Bikes
Here are my thoughts:

Work hard, play hard. Get the Stumpy and ride the shit out of it. No point getting a hardtail to "start out" with, they will always be lighter, but in my opinion someone doesn't get a hardtail because it's lighter, especially as the Stumpy is plenty light as it is. Start out with your dream bike. No such thing as too much bike, unless it means riding a DH bike on XC tracks, which is frustrating. Don't listen to the LBS toolbag, get the bike YOU WANT , and smile every time you look at it.

Don't compromise getting a cheaper bike, or a bike that someone else thinks you are worthy of, you have nothing to prove on a nice new bike. If this is a replacement for motorsport, then it is already a cheaper option by getting into MTB. You're worth a sweet bike (and definitely worth a good helmet)
These are sentiments I whole heartily agree with.

Andor

Squid
umm, you came into a forum as a self confessed newbee, and asked a question specifically about whether a bike was too much for a newbee, and you got a few people who agree with the person in the LBS and you are surprised? He's having a go at one of the most common crap statements you hear in this country - "you get what you pay for" - anyone with an ounce of experience in marketing knows damn well that you pay whatever the market will bare - value is the last consideration.
I don't mind whatever opinion anyone has. But his post added nothing constructive to this thread. Also I never told the LBS guy I intended to ride to work. I told him I had been look at a reign which is when he hinted that would be too much bike and started pushing the giant anthem.

SuiKiwi

Likes Bikes
Noob bike buying

I was in a similar boat back in October last year, only bike skills i had were from road motorbike racing back when my balls ruled my life, not my brains (not sure if that has changed but I digress).

Anyho - I looked at Giant Reign, Anthem and Specialized something or other and Pivot.

I actually bought a Rocky Mountain Altitude 970 29er - WHY?

Because I wanted something not overly seen around the traps (easier to spot if some $### pinches it) and because I like to have something just a little bit different. Plenty of people told me 29ers are really better for those of the 5'10" variety and upwards but at 5'7" I don't care and bought it.

My riding since starting out last year has improved dramatically (in real terms this means from having a heart attack after 200 metres of flat riding to now doing 20-30km climbing over rocks and down them again and still wanting to do it all over again).

I got a dually because I am 44 and didn't want a sore back ruining my riding experience and have not regretted spending the money one little bit. Skills are learnable, the bike just takes what I learn now and turns it into fun.

I say test ride it and if you feel like it's something you will enjoy buy it and ride the hell out of it.

Last edited:

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
POEM: There's no such thing as too much bikes... for a noob.

I started with $50 bike to go around the block, destroyed it after hitting too much drops :(

I upgraded with a $500 tank, so I won't have issues on strength
I loved it so much I wore out the tyres real fast
I realized I was losing weight, loved it more and gave it upgrades
Finally, I was in the zone and got myself a finely tuned STP
Oh the love kept getting stronger as I saw downhill
I dreamed harder, worked harder, had issues over the build,
And finally, my dream came true
A finely tuned thoroughbred I lovingly called Thunder One:F1
Lent my STP to a mate to let him feel the rush
Idiot flew sideways and broke the wheel
Sold my first love to give my dream UPGRADES :biggrin1:
Missed my first love so I got an interim park rider (unamed yet but getting much attention due to lack of dedicated riding time; it's my secret FireEye!... will get her refitted soon!)
And I shall ride again!

There's no such thing as too much bikes... for a noob; it is called, enthusiasm, commitment and dedication.

cressa

Likes Dirt
FFS. No. No sarcasm. I stand by what I said. Expensive bikes ARE amazing. If you can afford one buy one. How is that not adding anything to this thread. You asked us if you should buy an expensive bike. No point going into what model etc. thats had been covered in the previous two pages.

Andor

Squid
FFS. No. No sarcasm. I stand by what I said. Expensive bikes ARE amazing. If you can afford one buy one. How is that not adding anything to this thread. You asked us if you should buy an expensive bike. No point going into what model etc. thats had been covered in the previous two pages.
Oh, ok. My apologies. Thankyou.

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Go for the biggest bike you can find

A couple of years back I purchased my first mountie, I too got the....
"whooo hoo... that's a lot of bike" (shaking head) when I asked for a Spec Enduro.

Still glad I did - definitely the best bike I could have purchased at the time, perfectly suited to the style of riding and saving my face from hitting the gravel while learning what I can't do.

When it is really pi$$ing down I use it as a commuter with some touring tyres - just 'cause the brakes work (really well).

Maybe now I'm thinking of a HT carbon 29er - but that's just because I'm liking the 100km races - I'll still hang onto the enduro.

ttfn
Matthew

floody

Wheel size expert
No such thing as too much bike, buy what you can afford that makes you happy. All the stuff about better skills on a HT etc is tosh too.

Better bike can only mean a better experience.

A better experience means you will ride more.

Riding more makes you a better rider.

Getting to ride better makes riding more enjoyable...

...And so forth.

Andor

Squid
I like your thinking guys, thanks for the replies.

Ive actually started looking at the stumpy evo more favorably than the 29er. I think I will be more into aggressive trail and some dh than anything else. Anyways im going to test out a camber 29 and a yet to be determined 26 to decide.