Too much bike for total noob?

Andor

Squid
Hi all,

I've decided to get into mountain biking. I haven't ridden anything for 10 years, and back then I was pretty much just riding around town. I'll be selling an old project car to fund the purchase, so I get one chance to buy the the right bike, as it is unlikely I will save the amount needed to buy another bike in the foreseeable future. I plan to do a bit of everything xc, trail, light downhill, etc. and probably ride it to work too. I done a bit of research and had a chat with the guy at the LBS and i'm liking the sound of a 29er full suspension 5"ish of travel. So this has me slightly in love with the 2012 stumpjumper fsr comp 29. I love the attention to detail on this bike and have read pretty glowing reviews about it. A cheaper alternative I found was the gt sensor 9r but I couldn't find much opinion about this bike. Anyway to my question, i'm pretty sure the LBS guy thinks this is too much bike for me, what do you think? And please don't say get a hard tail.

Thanks,
Andor.

gassyndrome

Likes Bikes
I did something very similiar and bought a Turner 29er duallie. If its what you want buy it and ride the hell out of it! Better to buy up, rather than get something and immediately get caught up in upgrading.

haltz

Likes Dirt
if you got the money spend away, if i had a bike shop and that guy worked for me hed be lookin for a new job, obviously doesnt understand the idea of sales haha

Tenpoints

Likes Dirt
While I would say go for it, think about the money down the track. If you have expensive bits then how much are they to replace? I once had a Jet9 that was as bling as bling can be, anyway the bits leftover are well above what I have now, but to use them again they are in need of some work (chainrings for XTR cranks, spokes and bearings for I9 wheels) and let me tell you $12/spoke is a hard pill to swallow.
More pertinent to the one bike situation, what happens if you explode your rear mech on a rock? If you stack it and taco the front wheel? Can you afford to replace the bits with equal quality? Mountain biking is as much an ongoing cost as the initial upfront.

On the other hand, a shiny bike is an awesome bike, you'll have a barrel of fun riding it and it'll be easier to motivate yourself to go for a cruise (versus a cheaper option that you may emotionally view as the short end of the stick). Take good care of it and it'll keep running for a long time.

End of the day, a bike is a vehicle. And if you view it as such you'll know that all vehicles come with maintenance costs and a point down the track where they are beyond economical repair. As long as you recognise these facts you can distance yourself from any potentially irrational emotional response to a particular arrangement of tubes and rubber.

I'm not saying don't spend all your money on a beautiful bike, just consider the total cost of ownership. But also consider the total benefit of ownership. Do you see yourself getting fitter. If LBS guy thinks this bike is too good for you, will you be able to laugh in his face in 6-12 months time?

Anyway probably raised more questions than answered, but ultimately it's your decision and your money. Spend it how you want :)

eMOJO

Likes Bikes
I was in a similar situation... I went straight far a Yeti 575 and have not regretted the decision one bit.

You can never have too much bike... period!

Sent from my bagPhone using morse code.

OZX

Likes Bikes
Hi all,
...I plan to do a bit of everything xc, trail, light downhill, etc. and probably ride it to work too...
Thanks,
Andor.
Well it's a big ask but your in luck because there are a few bikes that can handle the task.
The thing that got me during the last 6mths of research was finding a bike with an efficient pedaling platform.
VPP DWlink Equalink a Brain! they all work.

The Stumpy only gets a Brain with the Expert model this year but don't discount the Epic 29er. It doesn't have the outright plushness for descending but it will be a better bike in 95% of trail conditions. IMO.

Enjoy the one you're with!

SilverSP

Likes Bikes
You can never had too much bike - you will "grow" into it:)

I've only started biking again after a absence of around 10 years and found my old dually Mongoose was ok for the job but after finding a crack in the frame I brought a used 2008 Mongoose Teocali and felt that the bike was capable of far more than what I had in me.

Now after a few rides I'm getting my confidence and fitness back and feel that I'm starting to match the bike in what I can do.

rone

Eats Squid
To the OP. The bike shop guy is a tool. Surely logic dictates that the less capable rider would require a more capable bike?

Anyway - screw him. Buy an expensive bike and enjoy learning it's limits. You won't regret it.

stackcheddar

Likes Bikes
Or look for a high end bike second hand that's barely been used.

Depending on the condition, you might not get that absolute fresh out of the box feel but it might just be as good and not as painful if you decide you don't like it anymore.

But you also have to consider warranty and all that jazz.

I bought a bike off here and had to replace some of the bits myself. A little bit expensive but helped me learn the mechanics as well - it's a hobby.

Sic

Likes Dirt
Like most people have said its better to have more bike than you need than not enough in 6 months. I had the opportunity to buy a Nicholai Helius AM and didnt because I thought it was too much bike, now im in the process of upgrading to 'more' bike and the Nicholai would have been perfect. If I had just grabbed the Nicolai at the time I would have saved myself lot of hassle down the track.

Having said that I think its probably worth picking up a cheap bike to ride to work, not only is it less wear and tear on your MTBs gears/brakes/tyres etc theres more chance that a bike you ride to work will get stolen or mangled in traffic and you dont want that to happen to your mtb.

racerm

Squid
haha.. get a hardtail!

but seriously, depends on your skill level as well - if you just getting back into it after a long period, something basic is good to brush up on your skills and really finding out if you want to spend a decent bit of money on something more advanced is well worth it.
Having said that, definitely try out a few bikes before buying one....

I'm a believer on "you have to learn to crawl before you can walk" etc etc...

stackcheddar

Likes Bikes
haha.. get a hardtail!
If you are competing/racing... maybe.

Just for fun? Weekend warrior? Get dualie. Don't waste your time/money learning "skills" when you're not really going to push yourself to the limit (ie competition).

If you decide you want these "skills" down the track, you can always hop back onto a hard tail and slug it out... fat chance haha... but if you were serious, you would.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
haha.. get a hardtail!

but seriously, depends on your skill level as well - if you just getting back into it after a long period, something basic is good to brush up on your skills and really finding out if you want to spend a decent bit of money on something more advanced is well worth it.
Having said that, definitely try out a few bikes before buying one....

I'm a believer on "you have to learn to crawl before you can walk" etc etc...
this^^

Its all well and good saying you are going to do this and that and get into it - but the most motivated rider often never goes offroad again after a decent stack - i have had 2 friends super keen to do xc and such, but the crashes lost their confidence, and they went back to riding cycleways. An expensive bike wont make you ride it more - enjoying the riding experience will.

I'd get a sub $2k dually from a reputable brand that fits you if i really thought offroad was for me - if you end up wanting to ride road as well, you still have a $1k to pick up a second hand roadbike which is far better fo the use than most offroad bikes - you can shred offroad tyres pretty damn quick on the road.

rone

Eats Squid
Codswallop!

Is there some unwritten rule that states that inexperienced riders aren't allowed nice bikes?

So you buy your cheap dually and after a few months decide you want to continue and upgrade. You look to sell/trade your bike and realise quickly that your used bike is worth considerably less than you paid for it. It will cost you more money over the long term doing it this way. Buy what you want from the start and just ride the thing.

Just because somebody's friend gave up after a crash means nothing. If you're committed - get the Stumpy 29er. It's an awesome bike.

MRO

Likes Dirt
I agree with stackcheddar and rone.

If you want to get into it and can afford it buy the bike you want. The better bike will have a higher resale it you want to get rid of it anyway.

Unless you want to compete doing the 'hard yards' on a hard tail just for the sake of building skills is not worth it. Get out there and enjoy yourself on a dually.

hairyone

Likes Bikes
go for broke

As a noob- I bought a single speed Niner- most people said I was crazy- I agree- but it is fun being a new rider and being able to go past people on heavy slow bikes who have been riding for years.

Go the best bike you can afford- worry a out the money later.

Andor

Squid
Thanks for all the replies guys. My primary reason for getting into this is for fitness and also I can no longer afford motor sports so i'm after something cheaper that will still provide a bit of a thrill. Coming from motor sport the cost of maintenance for mountain biking will be a welcome change. Also, I am a machinist so I will be doing all my own work. How fast do mountain bike tires really wear out on asphalt? I don't live far from work (5min drive), also I live in the country so not concerned about being run over and the bike will be secure at work. My mind is pretty much made up now and I think I'll go for the stumpy, hopefully pending a test ride. Anyone know a good specialized dealer in vic? Of course I have to put my race car back together and sell it first... getting ahead of myself :)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
gday andor, 10ks a day isnt going to do too much wear that you'd notice - especially if you dont slam on the brakes all the time. The security is a very useful thing too - you'd think the local housos were ignorant of bike values, but they seem to know their shit when stealing something! ;D

have fun with it.

foolios

Squid
I'm new to the whole mountain bike thing, but i was just curious to know why you said please no recommendation for a hardtail?

Just interested to know the difference.
Ta.