Time for an update

Mitto68

Likes Bikes
Frame - 2014 Pivot mach 5.7c. Medium.

Rear shock - Fox factory ctd kashima

Front shock/fork - 150mm pike single air RTC3, travel reduced to 140mm.

Handlebars - Renthal fatbar lites

Stem - Raceface

Headset - Whatever came with the Zesty

Grips - ODI ruffian

Saddle - SPG

Seatpost - KS Lev dropper

Front brake - XT

Rear brake - XT

Cranks - XT

Chainguide - Raceface N/W 32t

Chain - XX1

Pedals - XT

Front derailleur - n/a

Rear derailleur - XX1

Front shifter - n/a

Rear shifter - XX1

Cassette - XX1

Front hub - Mavic

Rear hub - Mavic

Front rim - Mavic Crossmax Enduro

Rear rim - Mavic Crossmax Enduro

Spokes - Whatever came with the wheels

Nipples - Same again

Tyres - Rear Schwalbe Nobby Nic, Front Schwalbe Hans Dampf

Tubes - Tubeless

Total weight - 12 and a bit

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
How do you find the 140mm forks on the front? I've got 150mm and find it a bit wandering on climbs. Think 140 might be better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mitto68

Likes Bikes
Yeah I had trouble with the front end wandering as well, especially on my local trails which I ride 90% of the time. Lowering the forks 10mm has actually made qite a big difference and i'm glad I did it (although I did buy a spare air shaft just in case). Lowering the fork is very easy as long as you have some basic mechanical skills. Just pull the air shaft out, cut 10mm off the end, clean it up so there are no rough edges, apply plenty of grease such as slick honey, add the required amount of rockshox 0w-30 suspension oil and reassemble. You can download the service manual from sram which has very easy to follow instructions for disassembly and reassembly.

Cheers.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
When you cut the 10mm from the end of the air shaft, can you take more off? Or is there some internal thread etc to consider?
eg. Wondering if I can reduce 160mm Pike down to 140mm. Would need to take 20mm off the shaft.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Where did you buy the Pivot from? I'm in Melbs and am interested in having a look at a Pivot. The Mach 6 looks nice.

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
When you cut the 10mm from the end of the air shaft, can you take more off? Or is there some internal thread etc to consider?
eg. Wondering if I can reduce 160mm Pike down to 140mm. Would need to take 20mm off the shaft.
You can definitely reduce your pikes from 160mm to 140mm. I know someone who is going down to 130mm for a Santa Cruz Solo and I believe you can even get them as low as 120mm. All you need to do is change the air shaft accordingly. The part itself is worth about $50 and is available from Monza Imports through your LBS.

Mitto68

Likes Bikes
I'm pretty sure you can cut them down to at least 130mm. Sram actually had different size air shafts listed in there parts catalogue but for some reason didn't make the shorter lengths available.
As for where to buy, Yarra Valley Cycles sell Pivot and have good stock at the moment. I think they may currently have a mach 6 demo as well.

Mitto68

Likes Bikes
Another thing, when cutting the shaft you should probably check the length of the thread inside the shaft and ensure there is still enough to snug the bolt all the way. There was still plenty of thread with 10mm cut off. If not you may have to cut the thread longer.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Was it pretty critical how straight the cut was? Eg. Hacksaw ok? Or needs a lathe to true it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mitto68

Likes Bikes
I did it with a 1mm cut off disc on a 5" grinder. I'm sure you could do it with a hacksaw with a fine tooth blade, it really doesn't have to be as precise as you think. As long as you take your time and some care you shouldn't have any dramas. just make sure the cut is square and the finished job is clean and clear of any rough edges.